Soda Stream Flippers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Author    Thread
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Ajax:
@kkeerroo

Your system is going to be around 100 psi. But that is not the only factor for the rules. It will totaly depend on your pneumatic configuration to determine what rules comply to your robot and which ones don't.

This is the hard part with pneumatics. it is the hole system that needs to be reviewed not just parts of it.

As some parts could be safe in one configuration but unsafe in another configuration.

You do know that I have the highest ranked pneumatic robot in Australia do you? And it took a lot of research and experimentation to get there.
I don't believe that the rules are limiting anyone. If you believe that then you have no imagination.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Shocked Shocked Shocked

To all . Ignore him. He must be grumpy today.

Andrew, SHUT UP!

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:52 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

ROFL surely you've worked out what ever you're arguing about... go build a robot or something Laughing
6 pages XD

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:26 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
Shocked Shocked Shocked

To all . Ignore him. He must be grumpy today.

Andrew, SHUT UP!

OMFG! Post of the Day!

Dumhed & kkeerroo: You guys are starting to name call now. Dumhed, your system wasn't built to the rules, which is pretty stupid, but, with your ability to make things PFG you made a system that was entirely safe. kkeerroo, you followed the rules, you made a system that is very safe and you did a lot of research into it, just drop this argument and move on knowing you have the moral high ground.

This thread has gone far enough, +1 vote for thread lock (Loctite anyway hahahaha Laughing ).

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:39 am 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Woody:

As to the locking pin ...... over in the UK we prefer the raised flipper arm approach.

Raised flipper arm is a must. forgot to put that in the last post.
( I believe DrumHed already does this. I could be wrong.)

My thought of the locking pin was due to the firing mech being a mechanical configuration, there is a very slim chance that it could fire if something is wrong in the system, would only be when working on it or lowering the flipper to get it ready to fight.

Gary, Bret Your comments on this would help as you have had a closer inspection of it.

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:43 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Ajax:

quote:

I didn't use the SodaStream's relief valve because I had no easy way of connecting a hose to it, and figured that it wouldn't offer any more reliability than the rest of the system.

I agree. But I do believe it is neccassery.

Fair enough.
If I get a chance to get to another robot event I'll add in the sodastream PRD, after some experimentation.
Remember that the PRD will still allow the system to be at ~100psi, which is plenty to cause injury.
It will prevent things like the ram being blown apart, but with a ram rated for operation at 150psi I don't think it's going to blow up before that unless it's been damaged, in which case I'd be just as worried at 100psi as I would be at 200psi.

quote:
Pesonaly I think it should be a normaly open vent used.
Apply power to close the vent.

I actually tried that, but the valves I had wouldn't stay closed under pressure. Even the one in the bot leaks if the pressure gets too high (~100psi or so)

quote:

Improve safety. Try and build systems to be in a safe state when no power is connected.
An open vent would do this.

That's the function of the ram being held open when not in the arena.
The ram exhaust ports are much larger than any available valve.

quote:
Yes but at some time the robot needs to be turned on.
If there is a locking pin in place, it just adds that little bit of extra safety.

I think that getting to the locking pin would pose a bigger safety risk than not having one. What if you turn the valve on while trying to install or remove the locking pin?
All the valve parts were well buried in the robot to prevent damage and accidental operation.

quote:
At the moment if Stealth is fired and never makes it to 75% extention, for instance stuck under rail. fight would stop then kick it to resolve problem.

This has actually happened on several occasions, and it throws itself backwards through the air and clear of the wall Razz
I've never had the ram not make full extension, except when the gas ran out. Basically it either throws what it's trying to throw, or throws itself Razz

quote:
but if there was a manual over ride or timer in place then you have control to reset pneumatics and continue with out stopping the fight.

Since I've never had to stop a fight for those reasons I'm not too worried about it. The system worked even when Jolt ripped the flipper plate off and bent the ram Razz

quote:
Dumhed, your system wasn't built to the rules, which is pretty stupid

I didn't build it to the rules because the rules were based on only one type of system.
Personally, I think it's a bit stupid to put $1000+ worth of fragile parts into a combat robot, but maybe that's just because I can't afford said parts.
I'd be worried about my own safety when turning valves on and moff manually in a robot with pneumatic parts that are re used many times, and may have sustained damage. I like the security of a brand new tested bottle every time, and a system that is only pressurised in the safety of the arena, and even then only for the occasional second.

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:06 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

If I recall correctly a central locking actuator fires the bottle valve.

The sort that has a small PMDC motor and spur gear reduction driving a rack.
These actuators only require the lightest pressure to move them when they aren’t powered up.
The spring loading in the bottle valve is more than sufficient to return the actuator to the off position and it is only when the actuator is powered up that it can open the valve.
If the bot is electrically powered down and undamaged I think a misfire is virtually impossible.
Combing this with parking the flipper in the extended position and if feasible a venting valve that is open at all times when idle and there is not a lot to worry about.

Using the soda stream PRD is an obvious choice and is the way to go but as I haven’t got my hands on one yet I wont 100% endorse it.

I hope we aren’t all bidding against each other on e bay. Smile

One reason I think formalising the Soda stream sitch is that they are still readily available, my local supermarket sells them and has gas bottles.
So for a low powered flipper there is potential for a safe entry-level CO2 system at a low cost. $100 at the supermarket gets you a new unit with one 40 litre bottle and $130 gets you one with 2X 40 litre bottles on line New.

Ask around there is a lot in the back of kitchen cupboards.

Personally the vac hose appeals to me as it combining the function of over pressure protection cushioning the shot of gas and connecting things that would need piped up anyway, simplifying and using things that have to be there anyway is the way I like to build. After all you could put a stronger spring in a PRD just as easy as cheat and use reinforced hose. Be a bit obvious if you start Launching opponents with a sodastream bot

Brown Teck as Brett calls it “ Mote in Gods Eye”.

One other point, AFAIK the normal failure mode of commercial rams used in Bot flippers is to pop the ends off them.

The tube doesn’t burst; this is aggravated by heavy flipper attachments not wonting to stop.

I think Stealth has an extra bump stop between the piston and the end of the ram. Its flipper is very light and of corse venting the gas slightly before the limit of travel also reduces the shock loads on the ram, Not necessarily all points to try and legislate but more proof that Andrew understands the forces involved.

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:39 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by DumHed:
It will prevent things like the ram being blown apart, but with a ram rated for operation at 150psi I don't think it's going to blow up before that unless it's been damaged, in which case I'd be just as worried at 100psi as I would be at 200psi.
The ram was rated to 145 psi before modification. Modifying the ram voids the certification.

How would you word the rules for your modified ram, Andrew? We need to make sure that others following your lead don't overly weaken their rams when drilling holes in the rams.

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:58 pm 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Rotwang:

I hope we aren’t all bidding against each other on e bay. Smile

There's one in SA I'm going to bid on. I can pick it up. No postage.

More comments to come cooking dinner for the hord

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:02 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

Modifying the ram will certainly void the certification, but it's still a fairly safe bet that in general it's still the same ram and will handle the same sort of pressures.
If the weakened area is under pressure at all, the vents will also be open, so I don't think it's really reducing the safety of the ram.
I'd be wary of anyone putting massive holes in a ram, but it's not necessary (and will cause the seals to die very quickly so it's not preferable to do in the first place)

quote:
I think Stealth has an extra bump stop between the piston and the end of the ram. Its flipper is very light and of corse venting the gas slightly before the limit of travel also reduces the shock loads on the ram

Yeah there's a bit of a pneumatic damper in the end of the ram, which slows it down in the last 10mm or so of travel, and there's a rubber stopper on the piston from memory.
It would be interesting to try using exhaust ports while plugging up the ram's return air feed fitting, so the space between the ports and the end of the ram would become a spring to slow it down.
I think on mine that could result in it not returning as quickly because sometimes there wouldn't be enough pressure in the ram to push the piston all the way past the exhaust ports.

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Woody

Here's some Sodastream valve flow information based on a rough test that I've just done.

The test was conducted with the std Sodastream lever valve attached but without the small bore pipe........ and was performed twice using a full cylinder for each time.

The bottles were weighed before and after ...the result is an average of the two.

Depressing the valve for 15 seconds caused 0.15kg of liquid to be converted to gas .

This equates to 0.55 liter of gas per second @ 150 psi or 0.825 liter @ 100 psi .... Giving the Sodastream valve a Cv of around 0.003.

A good ram fill time is down in the tenths of a second.

An excellent match for this flow would be a 50mm x 50mm ram assuming you that can actually get the valve open quickly enough .

Cheers Woody

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:16 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I think from memory Stealth still uses the small bore pipe as a flow restrictor .

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:10 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I won an old Soda stream for $12 on ebay, + postage, around $25 all up. Very Happy
The supermarket has changeover bottles for $11 so Ballistic might be in for a refit soon.

We were planning an all-electric replacement for the current version of ballistic but as the Soda stream setup is so compact we will have a play with the soda stream in the old version and have a think about it.

Thanks for doing those flow tests Woody, all good information.

At the moment I am thinking adjustable timer to fine-tune the shot of gas.

The door lock actuator takes time to move and the firing valve will take time to close, I don’t wont to waste gas and if the flipper is jammed under the arena edge I would be happier if only the set pulse was fired rather than vent excessive amounts of gas.
A limit switch as a back up is a possibility but they can be damaged easily.

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:01 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

oh yeah on Stealth the valve is only open while I hold down the fire button *and* the limit switch is not reached, so if it's jammed under something and doesn't extend, the gas is still turned off as soon as I let go of the button. I may have not made that clear before.
So, it does have a timer, which is me Razz
The system is controlled remotely, but the limit switches make sure it doesn't waste gas if I hold the button too long or the control stops working (although it does default everything to off if it loses signal)

I think the sodastream setup could work very well in Ballistic!

quote:
I think from memory Stealth still uses the small bore pipe as a flow restrictor

Normally there's the small nylon tube, which also has a very small brass restrictor in it at the bottle end.
I'm using a copper tube of the same diameter as the nylon tube, but without the extra restrictor (although it did still work pretty well with that restrictor in when I tested previously).

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:27 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I don’t think I totally trust Matt to take his finger off the button in the heat of battle. Smile
If any of the electronic types out there wont to help me out with an adjustable 555 timer type circuit, I would be thinking of it driving a changeover relay so the vent valve is powered up as soon as the bot is turned on.
A problem with relays of course is they take time to work but as everything is going to take time it probably doesn’t mater.
Just turn the knob till it fires reliably.

Bottle temperature, bottle volume, if the bottle is venting liquid or vapor, I can see that the manual control has a lot going for it. Maybe the 75% sensor is the go.

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:29 am