I'm actually thinking it did Cool

Now we just have to get admin to delete him Laughing

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:12 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by kkeerroo:
I hav e had enough.
If you all want to ignore the internationaly accepted rules then go ahead.

feel free to come up with some good reasons why we're all wrong, whether or not the rules are "internationally accepted"

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

Stop stirring the pot already. Razz

Go back to rapping Vanilla Slice Laughing

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:55 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

just coz I've got da skillz
my rappin payz da billz
gnome sane G?

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

Laughing Laughing
ZOMG!
Laughing Laughing

I expect to see another rap session on the next Fullboost drift video Razz Give Denzo some shat while your at it Cool

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:35 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

he's got enough already!

there will only be one more DA round FB video so I'll see what I can do Razz

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:04 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Dare ya to box against Robbie Laughing

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:12 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Just wondering Aaron, do you think that link I posted earlier might have led Nick to that other Forum

I have lurked there ocassionally before, but they seem to be getting more relevant to our local scene and with RG 07 coming up it pays to see what they are thinking (plus I almost picked up another Astro)

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:57 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Just don't pick up a LEM130 instead of the Magmotor Confused

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:52 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

OK Andrew sprung Stealth on us and Brett on my recommendation let him compete, Brett handed over the money and Brett still has Stealth on the Robowars front page so I think we can safely say that Brett as EO was happy to let Stealth take part in the comp, even when Stealth through an a ledged misunderstanding used his weapon repeatedly in the wacky race. Smile This provided some very funny moments.

One of the reasons for giving Andrew the benefit of the doubt was that Brett and I were well aware that Andrew has the magic touch with machinery and we had confidence that he knew what he was doing.

The obvious thing to do now is to come up with some guidelines or dare I say Rules to cover Open systems and Ajax {Automation service engineer} I would really appreciate your input in this.

Just to kick things of
-- Standard UN modified Soda stream bottles and valves and flow restrictors containing no more than the maximum rated weight of gas.

--The ram must have exhaust ports of XX area so at the normal working extension as assembled in the bot the ports are below the piston and can therefore vent the gas.

--The ram must be locked in the extended position whenever the gas bottle is fitted. It makes no difference if the bottle is full or empty. Apart from when it is in the arena. Or EO designated test area.

--A suitable low pressure blow off device, e.g. vac hose or spring-loaded valve installed at inlet of ram.

--Damage to CO2 bottle as for closed system rules.

--Mounting of CO2 bottle as for closed system rules.

---Electric operated CO2 valve must be spring loaded in off position .

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:44 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
even when Stealth through an a ledged misunderstanding used his weapon repeatedly in the wacky race

Yeah that was a bit of an oops Shocked I thought it was a "no spinning weapons" situation.

quote:
Standard UN modified Soda stream bottles and valves and flow restrictors containing no more than the maximum rated weight of gas.

I did actually remove the sodastream standard flow restrictor (tiny brass orifice in the nylon outlet tube) and replaced that tube with the small diameter copper pipe (mainly for length reasons).
For smaller rams the standard restrictor would be ok (it still blows quite a lot of gas out!)
I think for safety reasons with this class of pneumatics it would be worth specifying that the bottles must not be self filled (legally I think this is true anyway), but must be in the "factory filled" state.
This ensures that the burst discs and valve are new and safe, and that the bottle is not being filled while potentially damaged.

quote:
A suitable low pressure blow off device, e.g. vac hose or spring-loaded valve installed at inlet of ram

The soda stream machines actually have a sping loaded blow off valve in them, which I was going to use but didn't due to the need for an extra t-piece, and possibly too low a pressure setting. From memory they could be modified into an adjustable device though.

quote:
Electric operated CO2 valve must be spring loaded in off position

I found that the spring in the valve (in the bottle) was more than adequate to push my door lock actuator back (and probably a servo), but it should be specified that only actuators that will return when powered off are used (eg no worm or cam driven actuators which could keep the valve open without power)

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:31 am 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

just a question for the 5m 10 mill pollycarb rules dose this mean the projectiles would be exspendable so not counted in weight?

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:20 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

That sounds like an Ultibot question, David is God of the Ultibots best ask in http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=425 thread.

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:16 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

1.1. 7.15. Please note that some pneumatic systems with very low pressures (below 100 total PSI on board), small volumes (12-16g CO2 cartridges), single firing applications, or pneumatics used for internal actuation (as opposed to external weaponry) may not need to comply with all the rules above. You are required to contact this event if you would like an exception.

Stretching this rule out a bit to cover soda stream based flipper systems seams to be a possibility to me.

To quantify things and keep things in context you need to remember that the original Robot Wars and BattleBot rules were written primarily with 80 & 100 KG size bots in mind.

There is a big difference in trying to throw a heavyweight out of the arena or fire a heavy weight weapon repeatedly than making a featherweight weapon that is content to just roll his opponent over.

Safety is extremely important with pressurized systems, at the drags one day long ago an acquaintance of mine almost lost an eye as he carelessly tinkered with his air shifted system on his motorcycle.

The costs associated with the high pressure closed systems associated with Launchers do not bother me as they are a good disincentive as far as inexperienced young builders getting into tinkering with them.

This is one of the reasons I argued against relaxing the rules regarding closed systems.

The only reason I am happy to back the Soda stream type systems is that they are intrinsically safe, not idiot proof but as long as the ram is parked in the extended position any malfunction can only result in some vented gas.

The gas will have had time to expand if its coming out the holes in the ram so even getting a cold burn is extremely unlikely.

I can’t remember how old I was when I use to gas up a soda siphon, not very as it took all my strength to screw in the bulb, it fizzed and got cold but I didn’t blow myself up, at primary school we made rockets with CO2 bulbs and fired them across the play ground on fishing line and that was part of a class activity.

So yes we doubtless need some sensible procedures to guide people but we also need to keep things flexible so builders can innovate.

Going by Stealth’s gas consumption a small armored flipper bot with 1or 2 of those push bike bulbs would be a possibility.

One way of stopping any cheating as far as pressure in the system would be to require rams to work on an almost one to one ratio with the flipper as in stealth or ballistic, and specify a min diameter for the piston.

As the weight of the opponent will normally not exceed 30lb the ram will have no reason for not extending and allowing the gas to vent.

It then becomes pointless to fire more gas than necessary into the ram.

If a 5 to 1 or whatever Marauder used was used in a soda stream system there might be a temptation to up the gas shot which due to the ratio of the lever would up the peak mean effective pressure in the ram pushing it over the 100 PSI.

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:33 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Lets make Magmotors run at 6v to make them safe too, and restrict all drive motors to 12v window wiper motors...

I don't see why your looking at putting in all these stupid rules. The current ones have worked for nearly 10 years... This thread was created with a different purpose to where your trying to steer it now...

Also, what is the go with these "open" and "closed" pneumatic systems you keep talking about? As far as I know, pneumatics systems are always open systems because they vent to atmosphere, while a closed system would be something like hydraulics oil goes from the resivior to the pump to the ram then back to the resivoir.... Confused

You haven't been sniff soda bulbs have you? I hear CO2 isn't much good for inhalling... Wink

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:38 pm