www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Robots in Grantville
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Author    Thread
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Looks like no one is rushing to put up an event report so I might as well kick it off even if it means a double post. Smile

After meeting up at the factory we headed off in convoy to the Quarry, the Quarry is granitic sand operation that is cut into the top of a hill, mostly nice clean sand, very photogenic lots of different areas and vantage points.

As I mentioned in our build thread Bulldoze and Ultidrum were the only working Ultibots there so we went through the motions and got a bit of real life R&D. Took a few photos etc.

Back to the factory and after the lunch break and Neweyn organised the draw for the Featherweight comp.
Bender………Fred 2 hit match, first hit took Fred’s saw sheering the 3 bolts, killing the motor and second hit removed one of his batteries. Bender wins.

Next fight 6X7…Reboot Reboot gave 6X7 a real hiding but he kept coming back for more, lots of wood splinters from ablative armour, 6X7 got flipped early and eventually succumbed to a broken Andrew mod, burnt drive motor and smashed cooling fan. Winner Reboot

Bender………Reboot Bender forfeit.

Things got a bit confused then or at least I did. Danny had the newspaper Guy there and wanted a fight, I think it was meant to be Bender…Onramp but as Mat had been chopping up a drum to keep everyone amused his battery was flat and matt had wondered off so Reboot went in against Bullant, Bullant has a design flaw, it repeatedly got stuck under the guard rail but Danny kept running in and un sticking him to keep the fight going, the 2 bots got stuck together a couple of times and I think Reboots wheel got jammed striping the teeth of one of the drive belts.
After a while Reboots drum stoped due to a bad connection on the aux wire where it goes through a plug under the rear wedge, Reboots wheels were worn down so far on the very abrasive concrete that it was struggling.

So at the end of the fight no one said anything, I think just chalking it up as a demo for the Newspaper is the way to go, Reboot ended up damaged but Bullant should have been counted out after getting stuck so many times. Bullant is going to be a lightweight but as its not finished it may be legal weight, we didn’t weigh it.

As Fred and 6X7 were damaged and could not continue, Bullant and Bender ended up not fighting for no adequately explained reason I tend to think that Reboot probably won the event? Comments anyone.

A big thank you to Danny for hosting the day. Smile

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:26 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Does that mean that 2 or 3 fights will be added to the tables? Or do we pretend it didn't happen?

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:31 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Well the Bender ….Fred and 6X7…Reboot fights were proper arena fights and should count in the ranking.

The Reboot …Bullant fight probably not but that is just my opinion and I have an obvious bios so I don’t wont to push it. Smile

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:11 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

You would be hard done finding a better location for off-road Robots, the quarry was excellent. It was a complete 360°s of good views and interesting off-road terrain.

Here it looks like Pyrobot just landed in a crater
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1295

It wasn't a huge quarry, but I was expecting smaller and it was impressive sight when we entered it. It was well away from any civilization or main roads, nicely secluded.

I had no trouble with the spectrum radio that was good. UltiDrum went the full length of the quarry, it handles the terrain no worries. However I did get it bogged at one stage when I went into some of the loose sand. I anticipate the look of the quarry changing every time we visit, they had trenches all around the perimeter acting as drains, and they will be something we'll need to watch out for if we fight.

While no problems with reception, remember to bring your binoculars, depth perception when you’re talking very small distances to line up a tennis ball can be a problem.

We were going for a ThunderBirds kind of look with Bulldoze
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1296
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1297

It's hard to predict the size of the robot when you see these pictures, we should have a lot of fun playing with photography and video recording. With the right camera angles we can make the robots look huge. and the quarry wall backdrop has a certain space look. I wonder who will be first to build a mars Rover?

http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1298
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1299

Andrew was there with his Meccano bot with its onboard camera, and also his normal video camera, he may have some footage of the fights. George was there too with pod in pieces but he dident bring his other bots.

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:27 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

That looks awsome! Shocked
Good good, confirmed some of my thoughts regarding terrain. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:35 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

How does the dirt and mud affect BullDozer's friction wheels in between the drive wheels?

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:22 am 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

A big thank's to Danny for organising the day and also to everyone who attended, it was good to get fighting again.

The quary is ausome!!! It really is perfect location for off road.

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:54 am 
Daniel Marshall
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks guys. It was a small but good start to the new season, the arena will have more and more added every time you see it, and the Quarry is set to be the next big thing now that I know you all aprove.

should we set the next date for the off-road robot comp?
looks like we may be ready to have a good comp within the next month or two if everyone finishes off there bots.
and as for the next featherweight how does last weekend of October, 28th/29th sound?

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:08 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Bulldoze didn’t have any problems with the terrain, there was a bit of slip as the gravel scrunched between the wheels and idlers but it didn’t seem to worry him in the slightest.

We didn’t run him for very long as he was using an IBC as one of the MMC’s had a problem.

Would love to see Vertex in the Quarry. Very Happy

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:46 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Would love to see Vertex in the Quarry.

Well Vertex has no problems smoking the tires up, and I think it would be very very interesting to see the flywheel chomp into the ground Cool

Mmmm....

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:11 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I would just have to get a spanner and crank up the ground clearance its adjustable on each wheel Very Happy

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:19 pm 
Andrew W

I've just finished uploading the 2 fight videos from the 26th August.
They are on Filefactory. Sorry its taken so long, I've been a bit busy lately.
The links are below

Reboot vs No 42
http://www.filefactory.com/file/4a9906/

Fred vs Bender
http://www.filefactory.com/file/012c57/

Andrew

Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:15 am 
andrew

nice vids

some suggestions though, better protect expensives such as batteries etc and i would go for a chunkier, meaner fan motor, those really thin ones r very fiddly, rnt too powerful and the slighest abuse and they lock up, plan b used similar ones i think

go for the tr magna fan motor like kang has used, there beasts

Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:36 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

yeah we realised that the batts are vonerable, but we didn't received the nicads in time so had to make do, also we are now going to belt drive some sort of weapon.

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:06 pm 
aeldric

Damn. I'm sorry I missed it. Sadly I had to go wandering around Australia. Sadly, now work is sending wandering around the world. I will be a bit inactive for a while.

I wonder what happens if I do this.......

Post Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:15 pm