www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

The Evolution of the Combat Environment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
TeamFroggy

I like the idea, I used to love watching the early episodes of robot wars with the gauntlet ( spelling?) in the first round, also the robosumo and the pinball thing were fun to watch without seing robots totally destroyed. In saying that, I still like the idea of a "flat" floor and would hate to see the end of it all together, a possibility further down the track is 2 events in 1 where there is an "all terrain" class and a "flat arena" class.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:04 pm 
andrew

I agree, teh idea is the best but we should have 2 events or wheel out the hill and have a quick demo or something.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:54 pm 
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

I`m looking forward to seeing how these wireless cams on bots go because I have dreamt of an off road comp. where the driver sits behind a monitor and has a "spotter" assistant with say , binoculars who gets an overall view to relay information. I think it would be terrifying fun, such like; " I see movement behind the wall at 2 o`clock, wait, theres one coming at you from behind!!! Get out of there! No Dallas! the other way! the other way! AAAAGH!

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:17 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I like the idea of a ramp and off road combat. The same major components of our sport could be moved from bot shell to bot shell to suit the environment without undue cost.

Extra kudos for using the word "ubiquitous".

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:36 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Giant Robo:
I`m looking forward to seeing how these wireless cams on bots go because I have dreamt of an off road comp. I think it would be terrifying fun, such like; "wait, theres one coming at you from behind!!! Get out of there!

This sort of thing sounds great to me as well.. a "First Person" view from the robots point-of-view would be awesome. we would need to get our Radio control systems working a bit better than they presently are to be able to roam around a decent-size junkyard at long range, and the camera-link adds another radio-link to sort out, but this makes it into a sort of "tank-wars" and with the first-person viewpoint combined with some over-head "gods-eye" footage from a camera mounted up in the trees or something would make some fantastic TV footage.

I think theres a lot of future in this direction (in addition to the traditional robot wars style), our major hassle and expense at the moment is trying to build polycarb boxes for these things to fight in so people can watch them at close range without getting hurt. If we (eventually) go off-road outside, then you just need a big enough area that flying debris cant hit the next door neighbour (A country scrap yard or similair), and the drivers can sit safely in their armoured box and remote view the action. Get it all on Tape from a few view points, and edit it down for TV. could be a whole new show.

anyway, enough future-dreaming for now, good to see theres lot of other people interested in evolving "outside the box" so to speak Cool, so we can be thinking in that direction long-term, but right now, our proposed first step is the "King of the Hill" comp. It sounds like most people like it, so I might see about drawing up some plans for a suggested "hill" that we could place, and get them posted for comments/criticism. Might have to wait until after the looming event of course, since we're pretty busy right now, but if anyone else has any thoughts along those lines, keep them coming.

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

The Tv show gladiators had something similar, shaped like a pyramyd where they had to get to the top without getting thrown back down. Dont know if a flat topped pyramyd would work as the angles might be severe for robots but a solid structure could work well, as it could house its own weapons and cameras. Otherwise maybe three ramps going up to a round platform, maybe revolving in the centre. How high should it be but? High enough for big rolls and falls would be cool. Like the sci-fi miltary direction that seems to be growing with combat.

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:36 pm 
chris

I think maybe 2-3m. not too high but still high enough to give us what we want!!!

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:10 pm 
andrew

I think Its a super idea and would love to help out any way possible with it. Just being made out of simple mdf ro something screwed together and such and with supports would be alright.

I think it shuold be mainly combat like kill teh others etc but the focus being "king of the hill". For people to concentrate mainly on that and using teh weopons to help them become king of the hill etc.

Also maybe an idea is pinball or a obstacle course (that would be ultra mad) and have it with time trials and such.

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:08 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I love the idea and have talked to Marshal a few times about making 25kg all terrain bots. The only thing i can see is it might limit the amount of designs capable. Spinners will probably go, same with flippers and crushers. Hammers will expand, Rammers will over flow the systems and wedges will just die(YAY Smile )

I would definately like to see this spawn in the weight classes above featherweights, as some people have already found, making tracked robots and walkers are no simple task.

King of the Hill, LOVE IT! Annihilation will hit something, both bots will fly, and then we race back to the top to do it again Twisted Evil

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:28 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

I think drum spinners could work well as they have room to tilt. If you have a 4 wheeled base theres not much you cant put on it. BUt yeah wedges and spinners would suffer the most. cooool
It would have to be compulsory to have srimech in this arena.

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:36 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I think in an all terrain arena, depend how bad it is, it would almost be compulsory to have your bot invertible, as srimechs don't worked everywhere, ALA Razer caught in the flame grill Cool

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:53 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well ill just bring smite around to play when its done and smash the hill and whoever is on top of it Very Happy

seriously though heres another suggestion that jeff j, spawned in my head.

i think if we got a couple of robots installed with those $20 wireless cameras then we could have the operators sitting in front of a TV and the spectators in front of the arena, theyd have to drive from the robots perspective, which i reckon would be pretty interesting.

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Andrew and myself came up with a similar idea, but based on the game of "Marco-Polo" where the drive is blind folded and there team mate has to tell them where to go. It could be quite hilarious for the crowd and awefully frustrating for the drivers Cool

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:04 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

The word spawn seems to be spawning alot

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:05 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

where do you get a wireless camera for $20 from ?

Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:06 pm