www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

RoboWars is coming to Brisbane ! - 29 March 2006
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

Keep that driving practise up David and you'll have Vertical Limits gyro dancing to the beat Wink

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:15 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I am definitely interested, but mid-week might be hard to arrange with work - I hope to actually be employed by then Laughing and taking most of a week off in the first month or so is frowned upon.

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:04 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

woohoo, brisbane here we come!!!

Sounds like it's going to be LOTS of fun

OH and $6 for the left kidney

Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:16 am 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

I'd love to attend the Bris event.

Crying or Very sad

But Fate is a cruel master.

I'm currently on track to have the grand opening of my business at the Toowoomba show (which due to my kind of luck just happens to be on the same weekend)
... with a pre-organised 'heavy' marketing campaign already planned.

Crying or Very sad

Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:44 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Sounds good will see you all there again.

Have to get some repairs done before uni

Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:29 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Guess what... my school decided to plan exams that very week Evil or Very Mad

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:06 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Just to clarify things for those looking into Travel for this event.

While the festival runs over a significant part of the week, The RoboWars part is Friday, Saturday and Sunday only. The arena setup is planned for Thursday.

Plans arent finalised yet, but so far we have in mind Friday for Testing, Tuning, Exhibition-Class, Lightweights, Non-Competing bots that want a drive, and anything else we can think of (Suggestions ?). 12-7pm

Saturday will be the bulk of the Elimination Tree, running from about 12 to 7pm (IIRC).

Sunday will be the finals, plus of course whatever additional matches are available/required to fill in the recharge/repair time between rounds. A short day, 12pm - 4pm

So you dont need to take any major part of the week off work.

I'll confirm the exact plan shortly, but it would be possible to fly in early Saturday morning and compete, although naturally we'd prefer to see you there Friday if its possible.

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That sounds better for most people Smile. It's still early days, but do you have any info on the pit area? It would be handy to know if we need to bring our own folding work table, whether power tools can be used, if any workshop equipment will available - all the usual stuff. Knowing that stuff lets me decide whether to take the van, the car, or just fly.

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:51 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Hrmmm that sounds a bit more promising... after all, when they do the timetable i may not do the subjects sceduled for friday. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:19 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Pit Tables (and chairs) will be supplied, We have 15 in the plan at the moment to cater for around 30 robots.

The Pit tables will be setup right next to the Arena, in full view of the crowd, but partitioned off by the those plastic-roadblock thingies and there will be security on the pit-area so competitors only may enter.

Its a concrete floor, so power tools should be ok as well.. any really offensive stuff like Angle Grinding will probably be moved down the back rather than shower your neighbour with sparks..

Power will be available, it would probably be a good idea to BYO powerboard and an extension lead though, I'll look into this.. they *may* supply them.

I doubt that any significant workshop facilities will be available.. Its an exhibition center. If you guys want to plan on Joe brings a welder, Bob brings a Bench Drill etc, I can probably arrange for a space for medium sized power tools to be set up.

I'll probably be looking for some locals to help with the setup on Thursday if anyone is available, and reccomendations on some cheap Accomodation would probably be good too.

Gary (& Sons) will be driving the truck with the Arena up to Brisbane, and Andrew(Vertex) is a fair hike from Brisbane, so I imagine He will be looking for camping grounds for one or two nights as well.. I'm sure there will be others as well.. I dont imagine Central Brisbane motels are going to be cheap.. Any suggestions ?

Vics looking to fly-in but still take a bit of gear, There should be *some* space available in the truck to assist with Shipping. Hopefully anyway, have to see how much room is left after the Arena, Lighting, Equipment, Gary's Fleet, and our Bots are packed.

If you need to get some gear up there and back and dont want to take it on the plane, get in touch. There will be a small fee for this, based on the amount of space you want to take up, and packing your gear in indestructible boxes that will survive the road-trip is your problem. The truck will be leaving SideTracked 3 or 4 days before the event though, so you will need to have your gear ready to deliver to Sidetracked (drop off and pickup point) a week before, not the day before..

Any More Questions ?
Can we start to get expressions of Interest in whos going please ?

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

Brett,

I can Go but I don't knowq about Mat at this stage. I would also like a small amount of space for my Bot and a couple of tools on the truck.

If anyone has a spare bit of floor or back yard in Brisbane I'm also looking for someware to crash.

Neweyn

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:46 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Accomodation: Abbon Accomodation is pretty cheap. $55 per night for a double appartment. I've stayed there before and it's pretty nice. It's like 500m from Wooloowin train station, which you can catch directly to Southbank via Central.

When I last stayed there, we had 5 people in an apartment, I reckon we could fit 8-10 roboteers in them Smile So if we can get enough numbers, we can get two apartments and split the costs between all the campers.

Event: I can bring a Drill Press, Stick welder, vice and possibly some other tools. I'm up for construction of the arena on Thursday, just depends if I'm working that day or not. Confused

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:50 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I think we are the only builders who actually live in Brisbane (Philip is down past Logan). As far as I can remember there really isn't much accomodation at South Bank itself. There are plenty of motels around Kangaroo point and Spring hill which are a lot closer to the city, walking from Spring Hill or a ferry from Kangaroo point, but you will still need to drive to get to the exibition center with all your junk. There is parking all around South Bank, so thats not really a problem.
There are train stations right out side the exibition center, but its up to you if you want to take all your robots and tools onto a crowded train and then try changing trains at one of the crowded city stations. There are even city bus stations next to the exibition center if you really want to get adventous. For those who are flying there is a train from the airport which we have just used going to Melbourne so its safe for robots because the train to the airport is always empty. But we might be taking the train to the event, but only because we know what we are doing and we have done it before. We live 2 stations away from the one Aaron posted, 12 minutes from the city.
Unfortuantly I don't think my brother and I can offer accomodation. Our place a good size for 2 single guys, but isn't safe for habitation close to a big robot event. Cleaning will take time away from building robots. And I only drive a Mirage, so I can't really ferry too many people around at once, but I'll give it a go. We live close to the airport if anyone doesn't want to pay for the train ticket.
And it can't be a home town event if we don't help out with the setup of the event, so I'm volenteering my brother and I for the help in the setup of the event.

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:19 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

I am also very interested, I would look at driving up thursday and back monday, but I will have to follow up Uni and work commitments before I am confirmed.

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:28 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

As stated before, very interested, however school may quench my ability to go... will know closer to the event. Till then w00t! Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:53 pm