Author    Thread
andrew

u got mags in that thing, gosh damn fella

THATS INSANE

ride the thing like a skateboard Razz

Post Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:40 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Nice try George, but we all know how to use Photoschop and an inkjet print to make our own labels for a motor. I've never seen a magmotor with a crappy D shaft like that or with 3 mounting holes on the front in the same position as the Scooter motors....

Looks pretty convincing, but I know the magmotor range way too well to fall for that Wink

Post Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:44 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Well I got Andrew at least lol

Post Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:47 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

dream on george Razz lookin great!

Post Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

ahhhh im gullible

nicely played george, nice prank.

Thats as good as phils anti freeze robot last april Razz

Post Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:55 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

LOL yeah... what wattage are they anyway? Looks kewl. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:15 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

THere just 100 watters but running them with 12 - 16 cells would make them 50 - 80 watts per side.
should have used photoshop in hindsight to remove the holes etc.
The file is actualy a vector file so it prints sharp text, luckily they only used Times bold so wasnt that hard to set.
BTW update kit available - turn your scooter motor into a Mag, only 50 bucks Cool

Post Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:07 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I reckon I can turn my Astro Flight into a S15 Magmotor and my 300watt scooter motor into Mini Eteks Razz

What will we see next, Battlepack stickers on SLA's Cool

Post Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:03 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

A late night post to Christen Pod.

Couldnt wait for the deans plugs to arrive I decided to gaffa tape the IBC, receiver and batteries in the body and used a pen for an aerial base, gaffered of course.

Initially used 12 cells and it ran really well, just like a 4wd bot and it was very nimble, lasted for a while and i drove it out into the backyard and back in again and kept stuffin around till the batteries went flat.

Then I put in 16 cells and it improved again, there was some glitching and the road wheels kept falling off as they were not secured. When I went to place one back on near the drive sprocket it glitched turning the track, grabbing my little finger in the drive sprocket. ouch. but all good, it will heal. Only 2 of the teeth marks drew blood. lol

All worth it seeing it working really well and pretty silent.
The tracks are working excellent. It gave me a buzz seeing it work for the first time and it didnt stop till either the battery was dead or my little finger was stuck in the sprocket.
Glad to see no derailing or problems at all with the track in its first 10 minutes of robolife. woohoo
Thought that was a good time to stop. Have to make some finger guards I think Very Happy

Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:12 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Long post ahead blah blah blah

Last couple of days have been testing and breaking.
http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1100

Have been hooning in the back yard a bit and last nite a couple of batteries out of Pinschers main pack bubbled. gather that was due to resoldering the pack about 5 times so got familiar with their tolerance for pain.
Pulled apart a few batteries from a 7 cell pack to make up an 18cell pack for Pod.
So far Pod has been driving great through all sorts of terrain from 2 foot tall grass to steep inclines with the 16 cells.
It gets full of grass when its 2 foot tall and its surprising how much it collects when I cleaned it but it does not make a difference to its performance. It just chews it up.

Today was about pushing it a bit harder with its newly rehacked 18 cells.
So I grabbed a piece of chipboard just over 2 foot long and positioned one end up on some bricks so the end was about a foot high.
Then for ten minutes I just kept driving it off the ramp and let it crash down on the ground, doing quick u turns and back up again on the ramp.,
It was lot of fun, watching it slam down for about 20 times in total.

When I topped up the batteries it only took half a charge so its suggesting it might go for 20 minutes off 18 cells of 2.4AH if its just hooning around without pushing anything.

Watching the video back it seems very quick and extremely nimble and the weight distribution looks about right as it lands very well from ramps.
Most of its weight is behind it which helps on landings but thats also in anticipation of adding something on its front, yet to be decided.

Reception is awesome as well as I can stay indoors and make it travel throughout the backyard and I havent connected the rest of the aerial yet.
Seems to work trough the walls in my house as well so lots of evil plans brewing.

Next bash session will try going to a 2 foot high ramp.
A bit more tweaking to do on the suspension, mainly set the grub screws better, probably make a small hole in the shafts for the grub screw to lock into and it should be all it needs until I add more weight which will required a resetting of the suspension setup.

Guessing it does about 10kph over most terrain but it can definately handle twice that speed if I can work out how to do that, hmmmm

Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:19 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Gotta love scooter motors, efficient reliable torque, pity there so heavy but that’s part of the deal.
I suspect that they will over volt without any problems but as we have striped and snapped belts on 24v there has not been a lot of incentive to experiment with even more power and speed.
I think they should take 36volts for a regular length fight ok. I have a few spares if you won’t to experiment.

I do have some 3/8 roller chain. Will be using some of it in one of the UltiBot but I have more than I need for that.
Any idea how long a length you need?

Pod’s looking good there George, I might find time to have a go at building a tank one day. Smile

Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:47 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I like your pictures. You can see the idler wheels (if that is their correct name) dropping down. You should feel proud of your achievement.

Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:17 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

$200 if you build me one for my backyard George, I'll supply the parts Cool Looks very very awesome. Definately have to say that Pod and Sidewinder are the two robots at the top of my "Look awesome and still work" list!

Keep up the good work!

Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:07 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

THanks all for your kind words.
One thing in the pic that is clear now is that you can see the first and last road wheel had come loose internally and thats why it has that odd shape.
2 of the 5 road wheels arent offereing any support to the robot at this point.

@Gary regarding the chain, probably need up to 5 foot, more than I realised. Probably have to buy a 10 foot pack worst case.
And yes would be interested in another set of 100 watters.

Have parts to make another bot but just have to work out a quicker way to make the tracks. It took a complete day to make one of those tracks but that was all done by hand.
Figure with presses and jigs could reduce that a fair bit.

Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:53 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Sorry George I can’t spare 5ft of chain, one or 2 perhaps, the wheels haven’t arrived from Oatley yet so it’s a bit hard to estimate.

Any chance those people you know have any scooter belts, Oatley have sold out of loose belts and it would be nice to have some spares.

ps Just had a thought George; I have a pair of nipondenso heater fan motors that are almost the same size as 100w scooter motors only more revs and lower volts. Do you still have my optical tac? We did try them on a drum as an experiment and they were faster than we wonted but I can’t remember how many rpm that was. I can bring them to the build day if they sound useful. Smile

Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:35 pm