46%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 15

Author    Thread
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
6 x dewalt driven rammers...

Sexcellent . . .

Looks like im going to have to go against the grain and say in all for it Laughing

But then, if the class of choice in Aust suddenly changed from feather to lightweight Id be more happy . . . I dont really care about the standardisation deal . . . Im just a power freak, and you can only fit so much in a feather . . .

ffej.net

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Really what JD should be doing is unifying the world measurement systems. Since that isn't so likely to work, he is trying the next best thing and I'm surprised people are having any problems with it. It's not like we have to adopt it any time soon and the only people it will really affect is those going to Robogames. We can endorse it in principle and get around to using the new weights when it's convenient. Let's all remember that the classes limit the maximum weight. Like Cobra, your bot can be well under that weight and still be effective if your design is good.

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:09 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I just edited the first message to change the title and remove the now-out-of-date poll so its not confusing for newcomers to the thread.

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

if you wanted to do a "standard"
why not do binary?

they are all cool sounding numbers eh? and it does make sense.
256 kg is pretty damn hardcore as far as bots go.

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:03 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Only a hacker would suggest a binary number system Wink

I'll bet you have a binary clock on your wall and can read it too..

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

bah, they are all parallell things bunch of amatures
look at how inefficent they are.

use a serial clock man. 1 LED, its the way of the future.

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:09 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

well, given that o/s virtualisation is the latest buzz at the moment, I think you could use one led and do a x/y deflection propellor clock.. thats sort of serial..

Actually, come to think of it, a CRT is serial as well.. its just a really high-res long persistance electron-beam propellor clock with serial dots Cool

Ahem, I'd better get back on topic, or I'll be forced to moderate myself into the o/t area. Wink

You and your binary weights.. Razz

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:22 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Eh Brett, I just found out my futrue working life revolves around VMware Confused Not sure of it's real worth so i'm keen to keep combat bots in the real world - virtual damage is no fun at all.

We already moved from the UK to the US featherweight standards and while there was plenty of angst about it, there was really zero problems. We even made the transition in a very short period AFAIK. The new unified world classes are just another design challenge and if people want to phase it in, we might work out a bias judging rule in the short term. IMHO, the weight increase will change almost nothing.

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:49 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Be interesting to see if the current "Virtual Machine" hype thats being blathered about the IT industry at the moment proves to be a load of hoofluffle. It seems to me like they've all got that same look in their eye that they do when they start raving about "Intellectual Property". Heres an opportunity to sell another "nothing" (an imaginary machine) and get paid for it. Wonder how long this bubble will take to burst.

Theres something satisfying about beating a cluless noob over the head with a real-world pine clue-by-4.. a virtual twack would be nothing but a storm of bits.

My only concern is the increased load on the powertrain of the feathers. 10% weight increase is a lot to ask of batteries, motors etc that are typically on the limit already. Maybe I'm worried about nothing. Other than that, I could care less what the scales read, as long as its under the limit.

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:30 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

We are looking at consolidating 150 servers into (don't have a clue) hosts and VMs. Nobody has asked what happens when the host machine goes down...

Many people expected the end of the world when we went to 13.6kg and nothing much really happened. Our batteries will likely take the extra strain and if drill motors start to smoke, then we can reduce the wheel traction a bit by making the bunnings wheels thinner.

What need to do is a) decide whether or not to support the changes in theory and get that back to JD. b) If we support the change, then we need to announce a cut-over period where lighter bots get compenated, then we go with the world standard and everything settles down agian.

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:48 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
if you wanted to do a "standard"
why not do binary?

How about we shift to HEX or OCTAL then Jake?

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:18 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Ummm Welch, not all the world uses 13.6kg. The poms and europeans still uses 12kg. If you look at the rules for the FRA UK championships, which they are trying to promote in a way to get robots from every country in the world to attend, they have set the feather weight limit to 12kg max. That is why we havn't heard about this compitition, 95% of our robots are too heavy.
This is a prime case of why we need an international standard.

I can also understand why Mr Dave went with 15kg. It coverts very easily back into pounds. 12kg doesn't convert to pounds and 30lbs doesn't convert to kilograms. We don't mind, but we arn't poms and I know they'll whinge if it didn't round out nicely.

I also don't understand the problems with motors. I accidently made a 15kg robot (Adversary) and I didn't blow any cheap drills. Just because Glen blows drill in a 10kg robot, doesn't mean everyone will blow them in a 15kg robot. Actually you could get 2 x 300W scooters into a 15kg robot.

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:47 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

15kg = 33.0693 lb ~33 lb
13.6kg = 29.982 lb ~30 lb
12.5kg = 27.55775 lb ~27.5 lb
12kg = 26.45544 lb ~26.5lb

They are all pretty close to workable numbers in both formats.

This doesn't affect me directly as I can just order 4mm Hardox instead of 3.25mm and bolt a piece of 10mm Hardox down the back for ballast.. It just means a lot of work for people like Nick who have spent months getting there design panned out and revising it and getting the weight down so they can get more power into weapons or drives and now they will have to suddenly do this whole process again. Most of use will just have to add more armour to compensate...

Why does the weight have to go up? Why not down? Is this to follow the global overweight trend ? Rolling Eyes Chrisjon must be pissin himself laughing right now...

quote:
Originally posted by Philip Taylor:
Does anyone think that it is going to be easy to stick with the 13.6 kg limit? You will probably find you over shoot to 15 kg when aiming for 13.6 kg. People find it hard to keep their weight down to 100 kg for the heavies. Increasing the weight limit will not makr the balance between battery, drive, weapon and armour weights any easier.

The only consideration is do we want to change to conform to the American weights.

In another 18 months we might be discussing changing to 15 kg. I hope not.

I hope that in 1.5 years you can tell me that I was wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by chrisjon65:

quote:
I bet chrisjons first comment will be "i told u so".

well considering i was told on several hundred occasions that raising the weight above 12kg was out of the question strange to see things have changed Confused
one thing that needs to be looked at is the old 200g buffer that seems to be the in thing at the moment
if a bot weighs in at 13.8 is that ok ...??
if thats the case we are now building only 200g under 14kg ......its starting to get up to where i wanted to be 2 years ago ,its taken a while but at last some people seeing the light ...........bring on the weight increase Wink

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:47 am 
andrew

yeah agreed there kerrison

Well it looks like for rg07 there will be 15kg feathers going now soi have many ideas now which may help, extra spinnerdefense with current weopon disc, basic setup with a 3kg disc (since i can add some more weight into a weopon) for all robots that dont require spinner defense against, maybe some form of way to self right or run inverted Razz..

Ive had drills going and have nto blow one for years now i thinkand ive had robots piled on top pushing them which is like alot more than 15 KG

Whats the feeling about local in australia comps, we going to be adopting the 15kg weight increase soon or leaving it as is for a while becaue it still isnt def from the yanks yet as there still arguing bout it etc

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:50 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Persoannly, I'm thinking leave it where it is, unless the rest of world thinks its a great idea.

I appreciate Judge Daves "Unification" efforts, but we're already in line with the US guys. If they go and move just for the sake of making the numbers look purty, well that seems silly to me.

If the whole world goes that way, then I guess we'll have to move if we want to keep the international competition possibility open (Not that theres been a lot of that), but its kind of annoying to have to rebuild for the sake of numerical aesthetics.

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:02 am