46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 15

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Possible Weight Class changes (Again)

[Edit: see the end of the thread for the new 2006 proposed changes]

I know, I know, we've been through many a weight discussion before.. but a new thought has occurred that might make it worthwhile opening this can of worms again..

"Given that the majority of Robotic Combat events and Robots are in the USA, would it be a good idea for us to build to their weight standard of 30Lb (13.6Kg), rather than the existing Uk Standard of 12Kg ?"

This thought was inspired by all the recent discussion of visiting RobOlympics and the realisation that most of the bots that go for sale on ebay and the like are U.S. bots, plus the recent difficulties in the UK to run an event has made me wonder if it might not be wiser to build with visit to and from the USA in mind.

Our original decision to go with the 12kg class stemmed from our initial focus on heavy and middleweights, with feathers being a minor concern, until we realised we couldnt afford to build a heavy-class arena (yet Wink), so the 12Kg class was initially going to be the Rex's Robot Class, but has now turned into the class-to-aim-for in Australia at present.

Hence it seems to me that if this is the class most builders are aiming for, then it would seem sensible to make our bots compatible with the majority of other bots in the world, being the USA.

I'm not sure what opinion we're going to hear from Chris Jon here, since he was one of the early agitators for 13.5Kg and got voted down, now someone else is seriously considering it. Laughing

I'm sure there are plenty of you out there who would be happy to be able to fit in an extra battery, or an extra piece of armour or something to your existing bots, and it would help bring some of the heavier bots back into the legal weight range, rather than pushing them up into the proposed lightweight class. (by the way, our bots are all 12.2Kg legal at present, so no, its not for personal reasons)

If adopted, I would suggest we make 13.6Kg the *hard* limit. As in 13.7 is *not* acceptable under any circumstances.

Thoughts, Comments, Criticism, Flames are now welcome. Laughing What do you guys think ?

Last edited by Spockie-Tech on Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:34 pm; edited 5 times in total

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:34 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mytqik

Personally I would like to see the weight limit at the 30lb rule, as my creation is looking a little on the phat side & I wasn't looking forward to drilling heaps of holes.

From a whole of sport point of veiw, the 30lb rule makes sense as well. If you had the choice of competing in the UK or the USA, I know which I would choose. Since the majority of active comps are in the USA, it makes sense to do the sheep thing & follow along.

On the downside, it means Nick super dooper killer bot would now be legal in Oz & I dont think too many people would be looking forwad to taking that thing on Smile

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:42 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I am all for the change, mainly for the US connection reason. If we go this way it should include the zero tolerance provision. In Syndey, Jeff has a great set of digital scales and someone in Melbourne has a set too.

Since its early enough to bring in without having people re-design, how about moving the lightweight limits in line with the US? We seem poised to make a few lightweights and personally I am just waiting for an arena, so it makes sense to go 60lb /27.2kg with the same zero tolerance approach.

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:06 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

I am up for the change as well, my Bot is only 11.5kg but all it means is that i can add some more bits. It does make sense to be in line with the USA robots.

The question is if we do implement this then when do we start it? Also i agree that it is better to make a change like this soon, rather than later when there are more people with robots.

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:34 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Perhaps after the next big Melbourne event and before the start of the next NSW season?

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:42 pm 
andrew

for sure guys. i would agree with the rest. changing to 13.6 so its the same as US bots is a great idea. Would also make it easier and more fun to build with teh extra weight for that extra battery or extra armour, extra drive motors for singularity (like 6 wasnt enough).

Also Nick this means u can crank everything up to 24 volts. YEAH BABY.

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:44 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

mmm would mean plan-B can have a 10mm bisalloy disk....

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
andrew

yikes u and russell go full out with these things Very Happy.

I dont even know what u just said but it sounds cool.

Smile.

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:25 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Assuming everyone likes it, I was actually thinking of implementing it prior to the next Robowars event..

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I will go along with the majority although I have mainly learned robots from the UK sites and like the 12 kg limit.

"plus the recent difficulties in the UK to run an event has made me wonder if it might not be wiser to build with visit to and from the USA in mind" To put this in perspective it should be stated that there are many events being held each month in the UK and Europe.

I can Always build two shells one American and one for the rest of the world. Please go ahead with any weight that wins the broadest support.

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:57 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Im all for a 13.6kg limit, just means that I can now strengthen the majority of parts in my bot, add a wedge and cover any vuanrable parts with 6mm steel Smile (love to see plan b go through that jake)

For the record, Singularity came in underweight last event, at 11.02 kg

ffej.net

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

13.6kg means Annihilation can have the 4kg rotor Very Happy Really, the only reason I want to see a possible 30lb rule brought in is to make it easier to go over seas. But I still love the challenge of 12kg. Either way. I'm comfy. T2M can now run a 7amp, Cheeze Shredder can have the 10mm steel armour put on and Annihilation Revolution will be able to compete in Australia. The extra 1.6kg could be interesting for a lot of robots.

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:30 pm 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

Ok simply put I hated the idea of haveing more wight becuase people where trying to put too much into there robot.
Going to US wight of 30lb I have no problem with into fact I like the idea however if we do it then I agree it's time to get hard on people over wight as by now if we can built to 12kg this should be no problem

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:35 pm 
andrew

so when do u all think we should bring this rule in. Right now or next robowars event. If its right now i know a certain someone who may try and get their spinner at 24 volts. Note to self by thick steel for spinner proofing.

This will enable more complex designs and maybe i could build a clampbot instead of a lifter now. hmmmm.

I bet chrisjons first comment will be "i told u so". Very Happy.

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:11 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well i know everyone here is going for the weight increase because they want to put another 1.6kg into the weapon and whatever,

and also to totally outclass me in the weight stakes by another 1.6kg

and not to mention .6 of a kilo is impossible to measure on my bathroom scales

and not to mention 13.6kg just sounds weird

and not to mention you all shut me down on the 15kg thing because i wanted it for my own design gain! hahahah! Very Happy

and not to mention that the armour will get thicker as the weapon power increases so there wont be any extra damage noticed..

and not to mention ill actually be able to get incoming built now, w00t.

and not to mention you guys all seriously suck at keeping track of weight during the build, except for everyone except welcher Laughing Laughing

now aside from the ranting, im indifferent to the changes. whatever you spinners come up with i can come up with something twice as good to defeat you (mwuhah) so ill stay out of this argument...

if you *do* go up to that weight limit well i would suggest that it go up next year as i now i do all my new robot building in the summer holidays (dont know about you guys.)

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:31 pm