Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Yeh still no dice only just got some internet again but still not working

Post Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:23 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I got one email for a PM this week, but that's it.

Post Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:50 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I've had emails for all my PM's this month.

Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:31 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I've had more PM emails come thru as well. If emails are working for PM and not updates, it seems more like something on the web server rather than it's link to an email server.

Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:49 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Omg got an email for new account first in like a year.

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:11 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

im not getting any at all….so sad Sad

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:53 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Argh, Sorry Guys.. Sad

I contacted the ISP, gave them a detailed fault description, pointed out that the problem occured when they migrated us to a new server after years of running flawlessly and had it bounced up to the L2 support guys with a ticket.

A few days later, they called back and said they *thought they *might have fixed the problem, and could I monitor it, and if it wasnt fixed (Obviously its not fixed, Ive just got to reading this thread.), then could I please provide them with the name of the php module that was failing to send mail and the relevant line/function area in the code that was doing the sending of notification emails (since some are working)

Umm, No. Rolling Eyes Ive done a reasonable amount of tinkering with the phpBB code in the past adding in antispam, gallery linkages and several other mods, *but its a huge chunk of code, and I dont know it all well enough to offer that sort of information without hours of sleuthing about. The fact that the fault is intermittent will make tracking it down even harder. I already spent a couple of hours trying to find relevant information, but since phpBB V2 has been deprecated for a couple of years now, current information is thin on the ground.

The other option is doing an upgrade to the current phpBB v3 - we are still running V2, cos if it works, why mess with it ? It took a lot of fiddling to get the code dialled in the level it has been running smoothly for years. Im not aware of any super-duper features in V3 that will make it worthwhile, other than a better integrated photo gallery.

The other thing that has been holding me back is potential data-loss on migration to V3. I have seen other forums that have done a V2 to V3 upgrade, and a lot of them have shown significant problems in the messages. The data is all stored in SQL database tables, and any problems in migration results in unowned posts, missing attachments, lost images and links and all sorts of ugly kruft in the old data.

Most people just start afresh with V3, but given the huge amount of history, photos, links to externally stored photos, build logs and other stuff we have here, I really dont want to do that. A poor option is to close this forum, but leave it accessible as it is and open the V3 forum clean in a different folder with new SQL tables. Dont really like that either.

We can stay on V2, *if someone who knows php well enough to scruff through the code and find the module responsible for the problem and work with the ISP.. I dont really want to spend hours trying to track down this problem, but Im not confident in the V2 to V3 upgrade going smoothly either.

So, any php-capable people willing to have a look through the code and work with the ISP on my behalf ?

Im so busy at the moment, I'll even pay you a reasonable amount for doing it
(*if you manage to find the problem, Im not paying for code novices to root about, not knowing what they are doing, if you dont know squat about php, SQL, SMTP and Linux servers, dont bother).

Sorry to pass the buck guys, but chasing this particular intermittent fault isn't something I can place high on my priority list right now.

Can anyone suggest any other possible solutions ? Should we work with fixing this forum, or bite the bullet and work on a V3 upgrade (maybe a test copy seperate ?). Does anyone use a V3 forum and think its worth the change ?

regards
Brett

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Mine are working again…you fixed it!!! …thanks Brett Very Happy Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:16 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Strangely, I didn't get an email about this - seems there is still a selective problem. Given that I haven't posted on this thread for a bit and other threads that I posted to recently are working, I would guess its something 'forgetting' that I am subscribed to particular threads. Wish I could help with the coding but I have forgotten any SQL and HTML skills I once had.

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:39 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Please try not to upgrade the forum. Every forum that I have seen "upgrade" has become far worse.

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:04 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I've got some time, hit me up on msn or some such we'll take a look at the options.

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:27 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
marto
Experienced Roboteer

I have got every alert in the past few days.

Maybe its magically fixed woo.

Steve

Post Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:44 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I think these things are susceptible to threats of violence and replacement.

Post Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Heh,, thats nice to hear.

A lot of computers do have a habit of playing up until someone with the skill and inclination to do so threatens to take a screwdriver to them.

They're generally smart enough to ignore threats from people who cant carry thorough with it , which is why they usually start working when the IT guys shows up. Wink

I didnt actually do anything myself, other than whinge about it, and consider replacement/upgrade, and Jake promised to get out the screwdrivers.. perhaps the both together convinced the code its job was at stake

If anyones emails still arent working, let me know, and we'll see what Jake can do, and maybe Ill have time to help

(I'm Learning PyGraph and Processing at the moment to see which will suit a clients Dyno graphing requirements better). Thanks for offers of help.

Post Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Not getting emails from most of the topics. And new users anyone else having issues?

Post Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:26 pm