www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Robot Serial Killers II Planning + Discussion Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Robot Serial Killers II Planning + Discussion Thread

OK so to keep the announcement thread fairly clean let's use this one to discuss all the upcoming aspects of the event:

Pozible campaign:

This is the best way to organise competitors and get the word out, and now that I've gone through a crowd funding project before it'll be fairly straight forward. Rewards are:

Competing in the event - Same as Last Year

Drive a robot at the event - This was a pretty cool idea and we got a few people driving Stevo's kitbots but it wasn't all that organised. I think this year I'll email out VIP passes for people to bring to avoid confusion.

Maybe some sort of memorabilia, T-Shirts, laser etched things? All do-able but maybe not needed...

Not doing DVD... But would like a dedicated photographer this time, we had heaps of people turn up with DSLR's in everyone's face and then disappear and never saw any of the photos...

Arena:

Thanks to Glen Jake and Nick the arena is in FAR better condition to what it was last year when it was first built! I'm thinking it only really needs minor tweaks and it'll be sweet. Storage is still an issue as robot workshop is completely stuffed space-wise, neither the blue hoist or old cars have gone and hackerspace guys have a lot of gear that seems to be steadily growing...

Crowdfunding Goal:

Fact is, we dont NEED to do a crowdfunding campaign but it worked quite well last time. So, aside from adding more funds to the club account (which might not even exist anymore??? Chris, Bort? Did anyone else have access?) What could we shoot for? Funding future robot events is good, but could also go towards arena upgrades etc. Keen to hear ideas.

How the event is running:

On the week leading up to the 28th I'll be doing a lab kind of thing within serial space, making robots with tools as a kind of art installation... On the Friday we'll need to get the arenas in and set up as well as pit barriers and actually organise some decent AV equipment in advance too.

Space was an issue last time, does anyone have any suggestions for a better arrangement of beetle and ant arenas? There is outside space but it's not undercover and was used for parking last time.

I think I'll try to track down Nathan again too, he made a fantastic announcer last time and had pretty cool bots.

Discuss. Cool

Post Wed May 30, 2012 2:42 pm 
andrew

My girl kristy can do photos as always.

She's damn good and has experience shooting at robot dents before.

Let me know of you can pay her for it or of not. If you can cool if not shell prob still do it anyways. Smile

Post Wed May 30, 2012 3:38 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Ah sweet so she can. Cool I can arrange payment, we'll catch up over MSN. So that's one thing sorted. Smile

Post Wed May 30, 2012 4:20 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Two main things with crowdfunding goal is that it
- Needs to be achievable
- Has to offer meaningful rewards

We should at least be able to expect 8 ants and beeltes so that is one reward category

As far as drivable bots I am not sure how much help I will be able to provide here.

Post Wed May 30, 2012 4:29 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

afaik, the club account should still exist, and probably has a decent sum in it. Bort should still have access because afaik he hasnt handed it over to anyone.

BTW: are we like really badly overdue for an AGM? Just wondering. cos my understanding of officially organised club stuff (through experience with car clubs etc) is that there are laws about holding meetings etc etc

Post Wed May 30, 2012 5:21 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Is it a 'if you dont hold meetings you're liable for something' or 'if you don't hold meetings your club is de-registered' issue? I'm hoping for the latter... If that is the case we might want to discuss forming it again under Robowars NSW to align better with the stuff in QLD and possible future states.

Post Wed May 30, 2012 5:56 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

i dont really remember - all i know is that I decided at the time when i was hearing about it that it sounded like a good idea to take it seriously

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:11 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

What is plan for arena setup? Me and Aaron are arriving Friday morning so plan is to train to serial space @ 10:30 ish

Also not leaving till Monday anything else planned

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:58 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Arena is stashed at Jakes - How can we get it from yours to Serial Space Jake? I can pitch in $50 for the effort... What would work out best is Friday morning set it up at the venue for a stress free Saturday event.

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:28 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Arena needs:

1) real paint
2) proper mounts for the bumpers (the press fit didnt really work out because it all bowed and jammed up the sliding polycarb). I'm thinking of just welding rod to the bottom of the frame and the wood bumpers can slide over that. Dunno. Jake and i will sort it.

Only takes an hour half to put it up with two people, and if we sort the bumpers then only an hour, so won't need much extra help Smile

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I'm free to help out with arena maintenance 14th-24th of June. Smile

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:25 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

So an update on planning, here's the key dates and Jobs that need to be done! I've got some people down already but would really appreciate it if anyone could indicate where they're able to assist!

Week leading up to 27/7/2012:

Both Antweight and Beetleweight arenas need to be transported to Serial Space, for storage. I'll be around to assist in unloading at any time provided I've got enough notice. We have enough money raised to assist in petrol for this job.

Alternatively they can be delivered on the evening of the 27th, if that suits better.

27/7/2012 - 7:30PM

Unfortunately we're only able to assemble the arena in the venue the evening before. I would really appreciate all the help I can get to make this happen as quickly as possible! I'm thinking we could all grab a semi-early dinner together somewhere nearby? It didn't take too long to assemble the beetle arena with myself Glen and Nick last time so I don't expect it should take too long!

28/7/2012 - 9AM

The event! Because the schedule is so hectic i'm really relying on people to show up on time. I'll be posting up the proposed schedule soon but just so everyone knows, we'll be getting the registration and weigh-in done very early on. To be honest I would like to PRE register but not sure how well that would work (jake?).

28/7/2012 - 5PM

Event ends at 5PM Sharp and we need to clear out the venue. We can either work out where the arenas go then, or store them back into serial space for the following day. If the arenas are stored in Serial Space they must be removed by 6PM on the 29th... I'm open to ideas about where we can have the beetle arena live.

Other jobs:

EO/Fight Announcer - Nathan
Photography - Gothy
Rounds Manager - Angus
Filming - ?

Smile Pls discuss

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:13 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by dyrodium:

27/7/2012 - 7:30PM

Unfortunately we're only able to assemble the arena in the venue the evening before. I would really appreciate all the help I can get to make this happen as quickly as possible! I'm thinking we could all grab a semi-early dinner together somewhere nearby? It didn't take too long to assemble the beetle arena with myself Glen and Nick last time so I don't expect it should take too long!

Stevo and I can help with this.

quote:
Originally posted by dyrodium:

Other jobs:

EO/Fight Announcer - Nathan
Photography - Gothy
Rounds Manager - Angus
Filming - ?

I'll bring my go pro for filming. If anyone else has one or two, we could set one up for another filming angle and another up for time lapse of the event.

I'll have my MBP with me to copy video onto regularly.

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:56 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Gopro's are junk for filming robots D: But yeah a timelapse is always a funky addition to a video or an overall shot of the venue. I've got a hero 2 that can be used for that too Smile

Don't stress about the arena either. It goes together plenty quick with two people Smile More hands probably won't make it all that much quicker but it can't hurt. Probably best to just drop it off at the venue at whatever time we can. Shuffling it between serial space and the studio sounds like a pain in the ass lol.

Jake and I will do some mods to it next week most likely and number everything properly so we don't have to guess how it goes together Smile

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I can bring my GoPro with the LCD back and spare battery - I wonder how we can do a three-way time lapse? How about doing some 3D filming with two of the GoPros?

I can do the filming and if we can find a use for them I can also bring bring along some effects lighting - then you can advertise 'Killer Robots with Frikking Lasers!' Laughing. Do you think there would be floor space and the height for one of the lighting stands we have out at Jeff's place? Or are there lighting bars in the venue roof?

I don't know if I'm going to have any time the evening before the event, best to not count on my van for getting the arena from Jake's place to the event.

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:59 pm