87%  [ 14 ]
abbl
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

Author    Thread
Waddy the phoenix

just a question

tell me why on earth arnt we using abbl?? Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question ... and you get the idea

Post Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:56 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Who votes we get a spell checker program added to the forums and a set limitation on emoticons Cool

Post Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:27 am 
colin

i don't think you can get a spell checker for phpBB but it would be good.

i've also been wondering which forum is going to be the primary place for chat

Post Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:39 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Me personally ?

Because its still not fixed, half the links dont work and give errors, The Photo Album is broken, We dont know the guy who hosts it, cant get in touch with him, it recently took over 1 month just to get it back online after a crash at a critical time, Karmond seems to have lost interest in maintaining it (or cant because of David not being contactable), its hard to find on Google and other search engines.. umm should I go on ?

Post Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

There is a spell checker available for PhpBB from what I can see.. Do enough people want one for me to have a go at installing it ?

Also, who knows what a "Wiki" is ? and would it be worth me putting one of them online ? They look sort of interesting, but I dont know how many people would use it..

Post Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
colin

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
There is a spell checker available for PhpBB from what I can see.. Do enough people want one for me to have a go at installing it ?

Also, who knows what a "Wiki" is ? and would it be worth me putting one of them online ? They look sort of interesting, but I dont know how many people would use it..

Wiki? i don't see it being worth while. its really for creating an information resource.

Post Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:40 pm 
Windhammer

i like Robo wars much more than abbl because its more friendly on the eyes!

i reacon it would be a great idea to put up a spell cheker coz im hoples at speling Wink

Post Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:42 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

For all the reasons Brett listed and more, I would stick with this forum over the old ABBL site. About the only thing I miss is the dedicated builder's pages, everything else here is the same or better.

Perhaps we can get the best of both, if any of the original developers are still interested in doing code for the Robowars site?

One thing we do stand to lose if the old forum is abandoned is the "Branding". Who owns the ABBL name & logo? Can it be re-used somewhere and is it even worth anything?

Post Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:23 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

ok so here then cause thats the only reason i havent talked for a while because i was under the impression that we were gonna use abbl but if this is home base then thats ok with me

Post Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:09 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

This site is easier on the eyes and much better set out. VERY professional.... The ABBL info is good though -and it's being moved across to here isn't it ?

Would be good to see this site finished (like the section for beginners that isn't quite finished...)

What does this site cost you in $$$ to run spockie-tech ????

Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:17 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The site costs presently costs around $400 a year - $330/yr for the hosting (350meg storage and 6 gig traffic a month) and $70/yr for the domain name.

Doesnt take into account the hours put into it though.. Lots and Lots. Dreamweaver, Photographs and Photoshopping images, Video clips, writing the occasional guide etc etc.. hosting is one thing, content is another.. which reminds me, I have some more build photos and things to work on soon..

Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:10 am 
Karmond

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
$70/yr for the domain name.
GoDaddy.com charge US$8.95 per year for .com .net .org

Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:43 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

This forum is way better than the abbl site its easyer to read and just looks better.

I also think its a great idea to put a spell checker on here Very Happy
And maybe a list for good parts web sites where you can post a http under the apropreate catagorie with the country next to it Very Happy

Post Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:44 am 
Eyce

quote:
This forum is way better than the abbl site its easyer to read and just looks better.

I also think its a great idea to put a spell checker on here Very Happy
And maybe a list for good parts web sites where you can post a http under the apropreate catagorie with the country next to it Very Happy

Yeah, a Spell Check Would Be Handy Laughing

As For The Wiki, possibly related to www.wikipedia.com

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:11 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Can saw blades be used for wheels just cos they look cool Cool and because they are light weight so you can have bigger wheels in the lighter weight classes

Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:03 pm