www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Battleshed 08 - The Shed of Dead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I agree, the RFL ruleset is overly complicated to cater for all their weight classes. We could re-write in a simpler form so that the end result was compatible.

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:07 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

overly complicated?

1- Fuel type
2- Max fuel allowed
3- Amour over the tank
4- Safety on the igniter

How is that complicated? What do you want to remove?

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:21 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I am talking the Big Picture; the RFL rules are now overly complicated in many areas, with too many sub-sub clauses. It looks like somebody came up with a good idea and then a committee of lawyers got hold of it Smile We have a simpler competition over here and could cut through all the verbiage to arrive at simpler ruleset with more black & white definitions.

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:10 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

and just because they've decided on fuel types, maximum fuel capacity, and safety features doesn't mean that it's the best way to do it, or the only way.

We have our own competition, and there's no reason at all not to make our own rules - especially when they could fit in better with the types of bots people are building, the arenas we have, and the parts / materials available.

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

That does go against the idea of an international ruleset. Going against the standard rules makes it harder for those who want to go overseas and for international visitors to come to our events. While I don't agree with the fixed fuel types I will be forwarding my concerns to the RFL and not bleating "we could be better than them".
Competition specific rules have never worked in the past. Just look at Mechwars. Guys spent thousands of dollars to build robots that fitted their rules and then found they could not compete anywhere else. Mechwars is still having their one annual comp but have had to drop the "special" classes because no one was entering them anymore because they deemed it a waste of money to build a robot that could only be used once per year.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

there's not much international competition going on though (in that it's not often that we are involved in international competition), so there's not much point making things harder for people here.

Anyway, most bots can be modified a bit in the event of going overseas for competiton.
There is also nothing stopping someone from building their robot to comply with international rules as well as our own.

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I am not talking about throwing out the RFL rules, just about cutting out the parts that don't apply to our competition and putting the rest into black 'n white language. The bots we build to the local rules would still pass inspection in the US. Nobody is talking about changing weight classes or anything radical, just adapting the international standards to our environment.

I can't see why there is so much angst about dropping a few paragraphs that wouldn't apply to our bots; we can add stuff back in later as required.

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:18 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Very Happy RULES what rules?? its common sense to me ,ive never read the rules but remarkably manage to build within them, remarkable that, ohh so it is just common sense. Wink

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:28 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

It’s your event and as always we are happy to abide by your rules.

Sort of why I mentioned Daniels Bull Ant in a way, as it was his arena on his property so as far as I am concerned he was well within his rights to build whatever he wonted to.

As I mentioned the last time this particular grenade went off I think the RFL rules could do with a little fine tuning or tiding up.

It would I think be desirable for as many of the local events as possible to be compatible.

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:20 am 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Staying out of this one Wink

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:51 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Bort:
Staying out of this one Wink

Oh come on

Yes well if the new BattleBot TV show happens having a few flamethrowers could be a good move.

http://gizmodo.com/367861/battlebots-returns-this-time-to-espn

Aldie have cheap chainsaws next week to.
Smile

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:20 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol theres an ongoing argument as to when its happening.. hell might even slap a lightweight together and head over Laughing

the aldi chainsaws are nice. jeff got a few last year, if anyone wants some pocket bike motors for $50 i might have a few going Surprised

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
lol theres an ongoing argument as to when its happening.. hell might even slap a lightweight together and head over Laughing

Shame they also said it was only open to heavy weights and collage middle weights.

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:04 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

They should have made it lightweight and/or Middleweight for everyone IMHO; they would have gotten far more choice and quality. Anyway, that is all happening in a galaxy far, far away and seriously OT.

We need to think about events we can actually attend this year - I would say (as the NSWRFC prez.) that the defacto RFL rules stay same for this year as it is far too late in the season for changes. We can discuss sensible changes around December and implement for the next season.

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:32 pm 
seanet1310

At this rate vic will be known as the home of horizontal thwatbots with 6x7, Puncturer, bane 2 and rhino going to battleshed and then black&white, bane 1, binky staying in state

Post Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:58 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger