www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Proposed Vic (non robowars ) Judging changes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Can’t resist pointing out that Badger is the slowest spinner in our comp but I think most of the people who were at Battelshed would agree he is very entertaining.
I suppose he can move pretty quickly on his side.

Maybe that rates as Cool as opposed to style?

If anyone believes in statistics still one look at the Kkeerroo’s weapon table should put them off wedges or perhaps it just proves your point Smile

http://rankings.robowars.org/weapons.htm

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:14 am 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

The conclusion i come to when judging is not that difficult. In all the matches ive been in and watched i reckon 90% off the time just watching the fight in general, not focusing on one criteria draws out the correct winner and 99% of the time. Anyone with a reasonable amount of building and spectator experience knows who the winner is ,to be honest in all the years we have had our comp running in NSW we have never ever had a judging dispute,because with experience we all can see who won and lost the battle.
Jakes Battleputer has made it simple for 10 people to judge on a battle if we choose to ,a simple score out of 10 for each robot and a simple winner or loser in the eye of as many judges as you like.
All im saying is if rules are to be changed ,dont complicated it , because honestly most experienced spectators and judges know who has won and lost .

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:25 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Nobody wanted to call the last fight I.G. and Fragmentor had down at Danny's arena Smile

It was very close. IG ripped a wheel off Frag, and put several nasty gashes in the frame and armour. Frag broke a wheel drive bracket on IG leaving the wheel at an angle and with greatly reduced mobility. Both spent lots of time attacking, pounding, wedging wrestling, Spin-Thwacking and dodging.

*I* wouldnt have wanted to have to call that match, and the judges sort of wandered off shaking their heads and mumbling and no decision was ever forthcoming.

It was one of those fights where it would have pretty much been down to counting scratches and would have required pre-fight inspections to see what scars were pre-existing and what was added.

If anyone can come up with a judging system that would have easily called a clear winner out of that fight, I'll be impressed. Unfortunately noone seemed to catch it on video (Rob ?) so its hard to show you guys for second opinions.

It seemed to me that after two close-call matches where the judges wimped out on making a decision, it made it kind of hard to continue the event after that - which demoinstrate why we need detailed guidelines that will render a definite decision one way or another, even if it does come down to counting scratches on occasion.

Can we get a video of that fight as a test-case for judging changes anyone ?

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:39 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

could just cal it a tie Very Happy

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:49 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I'm happy with that, but it makes it difficult if the event structure is based on a winner and a loser

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:52 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dylon

maybe like have a rematch or something

Barton Robotics Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/BartonRobotics

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:07 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Maybe in situations like the above the desicion could be based on which robot has the better mobility after the match.
If one drives in circles and the other can still show control in steering then the decision would be easy regardless of damage.

Some of the wheel damage in that fight became obvious at the end of the match but the robots where removed before testing for mobility.

Mobility is control so if one robot shows more control after the match that should be enough to declare a winner.
Just a thought

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:15 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Thats why in our system you can have a tie with 2 winners (ie a really good match) or a tie with two losers (they both sucked so hard you couldn't pick who was actually sucking harder)

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

There isn't such a thing as a good tie or a bad tie. If they both couldn't win then they both sucked hard, since the idea of fighting is to win.

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:56 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

that's like saying two cars going for the land speed record and getting the same result are both slow, even if they've both gone faster than anyone else has ever done.

I'd much rather see a hard fought tie than a couple of bots that don't do anything!

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Daniel wants to install a pit so that should take care of the Judging.Very Happy

I would prefer if it were only used to finish off the really suckey matches though.

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:25 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

I have got a video of frag vs ig, i need to put it onto my desktop comp once i got some h drive space, i havent judged it myself off the video, it plays back laggy on the laptop, ill u tube it asap

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:30 pm 
cerberus3112

THere can be an easy answer to that match

Use the mighty judging powerers or eniey miney mo or papper scissors rock your choice Laughing

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:11 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

How about looking at the final at the last Robowars event .I cant remember who the robots names were but i know it was a new builder from Qld and one of Garys robots. Lets use that as a test battle.Can someone find it

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:39 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Eleanor vs Reboot
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vfRgk4n1GZ4

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:11 am