www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

King Cobra - Team Aurora - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

while i was on a roll with the welder i started cleaning up cobras panels and tacked the rear two in place. when the current goes up the welding gets easier i swear.

will need to get a 2mm or 3mm tungsten tip though as the 1.6mm starts to ball up too much at 145 amps. but nice big chunky welds with full penetration. because the shell is seperate to the base i can weld both sides. so should get some pretty fine strength from them. i plan to grind the shell smooth when ive welded it.

progress will be slow and steady with this robot me thinks. and on a related not as you may have seen in viscerals thread his batteries are also done Razz

i also have 6 free A123 cells so im not sure whether i should make some booster packs with em or just make a 6 cell pack. mmm

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well my shafts arrived, thanks timmeh!

also noted a place local to work that will CNC my drive pods hopefully from 7075, high class Razz

should get them done fairly soon once my pulleys arrive from Small parts.

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well that was a bit of a hiatus... i got a bit of an urge to do some more on it today. so i welded up the front pieces and cut off the mis-sized side pieces. shall redo them next weekend. would have had it all complete today but went and got pissed instead Razz huzzah.

will order the pulleys too now i know which style and size i want. 9mm wide 5mm htd will do the job nicely.

looks like i can maybe possibly weld! Shocked need to fiddle with the gas flow though the welds often come out dull and looks like theres alot of browny rusty coloured desposits all over the place after welding. maybe contamination?

sorry spinners Cool

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:10 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

ughh all these welding fumes are making me dizzy..

ive put king cobra on some robot steriods and my gawd has he packed on some weight, that 6mm steel aint light!! same width as the old one, same height too, the length has grown by a couple of cm however.

in this version the aim was to keep everything away from the sides while still making the armour bomb proof. hopefully this will suffice Smile

disturbingly due to the way this version is build it will only weigh 1.5kg more than the last itteration despite it having about 50% more 6mm steel in it and being bigger. always good.

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:44 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

long time no progress. finally worked out the secret to getting my welder to go on full power all the time without popping the circuit breakers so finished cobras frame up. looks pretty farking solid.

also started to lay all the internals out too which is looking pretty neat.

now to organise the hardox base plate and we should be sweeet Cool ill turf some pics up later tonight

Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:03 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

wellity well, long time no progress once more Razz actually i lie. there has been plenty but alas it wont get done in time. unfortunately i ran into a problem when the A123 packs i designed where way too high to fit into the robot (55mm high) so i will need to remake them.

also need plenty of time to gget the drive pods done and their hinging mechanism (really dont want them to be hard mounted) so i will write this off for the event.

however i was planning to take only visceral with me.. but planning this new drum and getting it all going is starting to worry me with such little time to spare....

so i dug out the corpse of cobra (robot necromancing, woo) and thought mmm... with my new welder and all these lovely little bits i can make it into the robot it never really was...

sooo i will knock this thing back together for one last crack at the title Laughing

plans....

- cut the ends off the team delta kits and move the drives inwards 5mm each side to get the drives away from the outside.

- ive bought two new A123 packs that i will make into flat cells that will go where the old battery bay once was. this will solve the old problems of it being way rear heavy and lighten it up a good kilo!

- wiring will be alot better. i always had stupid problems with it cutting in and out and such due to the bodge way i did the ring terminals and 3 way joins and things. no more Cool

- more armour! all the mods will knock about 1.5kg off the weight and the thing was already sub 12kg before. thus i hope that i will be able to just weld armour all over the thing. first item will be a 6mm front wedge instead of the 3 and i think ill leave it at that.

- oh and the drive train will be solid steel this time. hip hip! and mounted to one point so it wont bend and pretzel about. which is good.

see you in melbourne Surprised

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:15 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Awesome. I like it.

Also if transport is the concern, then I'm sure we could transport stuff for you again if need be.

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:44 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

cool will keep it in mind. hopefully i can latch onto/underneath someones car on the way down, im so sick of airline travel!

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:49 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

right o,

managed to get an extra A123 pack from ebay for $83. so thats cool. i have 6 spare cells meaning i can get two packs from this. will be soldered up as flat packs and mounted in the front now. there should be nothing mounted up the back so weight balance will be ideal.

tried to remove the battery bay but jesus that got welded a bit too well >_> cant get it off! so ill just leave what i cannot get out.

will take the dewalts in tommorow to get the machine shop to make me some steel bearing holders for the drive. aint nothing gunna bust it up this time.

and i plan to also weld a big flange around the top of the rear 3 panels to brace it up, and give something for the top plate to bolt into for a bit more re-inforcement.

ahh i love seeing that robot on my floor. it looks so spesh <3

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:39 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well ive been pretty flat chat the last week with other things (damn christmas time every one wants everything yesterday Mad ) but i had some time this morning to work on some things.

got the wiring done, very stealthy setup, only has 8 wires total which is pretty good for a twin victor setup. switch and victors are mounted up the back and the flat battery will bolt in up front along with the other bits and pieces..

drives have been stripped and cleaned and oiled back up again. wheels replaced with trents ones for now and thrust washers installed against each side of the wheel. the machine shop charges too much for what i wanted so will knock some bearing holders up on my own. eek!

aside from that things coming along quite nicely. i had an idea too for new king cobra that will let me use only one bearing for support on the wheel which saves having to have an outlandishly complicated twin support setup. i think it will be stronger too as i wont have to worry about things twisting and binding up. plus lighter and narrower!

Post Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:29 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well im pretty well finished with my monster pocket bike so with this whole week off im gunna just dedicate it to cobra (how romantic).

first item on the old shopping list is to make the battery mounts. thats a quick job (just some countersunk bolts welded up on it with a clamp.

one bolt is somehow welded into the victor Confused itll turn but wont come out at all. so i think ill just solder the entire thing on bolt and all to the terminal Razz

i cut the top forks off tonight so i can add some more support to them and weld them on better with the tig (they where only mig'ed on previous).

side panels will also be cut off and some of the bullet proof steel welded in its place. i have to repair the welds on the sides so i figure this way is just easier. and i can weld them on a litttle further outboard to give me decent clearance of the outer bearing blocks thus allowing me to have a non bindy drive train Very Happy

then some driving! ETA for completion... tuesday night..

wednesday night... driving practice.

thursday through monday.. heavy drinking Cool

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:01 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

good weather for welding and what not so plenty done. got the smashed up sides cut off (what a nightmare) and the new stronger ones welded on.

should be pretty strong. the welder was getting so hot, the torch cable was burning my neck Laughing

and i also welded the steel forks on. i was going to add some little triangles there but i think that would cause spinners and what not to just glide over the top. i think itll be plenty strong enough as it stands. worse case who cares, this robot was retired 6 months ago Razz

painted it a nice glossy black too. should be nice and invisible lol.

now jobs to do

*finish both battery packs
*finish last connection on main power gear
*mount batteries
*mount reciever gyro and imx1 and wire in BEC
*power LED

hopefully ill get 3 of those done tonight.

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:06 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well i got it going the wednesday night and was driving around till thursday night practicising and setting the gyro up so i was hoping for a good event.

unfortunately i didnt recall to check that it was invertible so its two losses where from being flipped. thats hindsight for yah Laughing

aside from that it went well on the first day. power and speed seemed to be back to what it once was and it was pretty reliable aside from the batteries

speaking of the A123 packs are both rooted. one pack has 2x 4v cells, 1x 1.5v cell and 3x 0v cells and the others about the same. so they will more or less go in the bin. balancing is neccessary if only initially.

so for the next event until the new one is done (will be putting 100% effort into finishing it) i will just cut the forks back a little so it runs upside down and remake a battery battery bay mounting setup with some new packs, WITH BALANCER PORTS Very Happy

and i bought him a nice infinity charger for running so well on the first day Razz its his 3rd birthday btw haha.

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:01 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

couple of small things done to the twins today after i recovered from quite possibly the most epic hangover ever (18 vodka lights at big day out will do that. ugh) so technically i was off work due to illness Very Happy

but on old cobra ive cut down the forks and ripped apart one of the battery packs and desoldered the cells. im discharging and charging them to try get them working again and pick out the good cells. think ill have enough to at least get one pack together.

although oddly enough two cells have managed to take a 4v charge and even powering a stalled fan motor they dont drop back down to their nominal voltage.. maybe the fan doesnt draw enough power at 4v but i would have thought so. interesting...

but more excitingly ive got some work done on the new version. i ground off a kilo of rust or so to prepare it for all the welds it will need.

i was originally planning on just solidly mounting the drive train due to half-assness but after not much thought it really has to either have a hinged wedged or hinged drives to be any decent. so hinged drives it must be.

so to that end ive cut out some 10mm steel blocks that will have an M8 bolt tapped into one side for the bogies to pivot on. will weld em in tommorow. as a note to myself put the car alarm remote on the welder as well to see if it farks it up...

also cut some plate to weld in between the top plate and side panels to brace it up and to cover up the hinge bolts from axes and things. yes im talking about you trav Mad

should hopefully get the version 2 going this event. if not. then the old one will provide ample opening of whoop ass Razz

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:40 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

ahah!! i finally worked it out!

turns out the gyro has two modes. one is heading hold and the other is just normal rate mode.

to get it working properly you have to turn the power on with heading hold mode ON otherwise it wont calibrate or work at all for that matter.

it now drives so damn good mum has been hooning it around the driveway all morning Laughing

speaking of the old version will now live on, under the *akward* control of mum for the next event! Shocked so i guess this means i need to finish version 2 or have no robot of my own Razz

to that end ive decided to give the sidewinder a try in version two to make the wiring much easier. and the original version will retain the victors.

so yes very happy with how it drives now. i think after the forks are cut back and the front of the wedge made alot more tough (and working batteries!) it will be fairly unstoppable.

will make a video this arvo too on how to use the gyro and how it affects things and what not.

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:07 pm