www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Ideas Festival March 27 - 29 2009
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Author    Thread
craig_tanto

I've been looking for an excuse to come back to Brisbane, I'm building a feather at the minute so may be a perfect chance to come back over, i've got to make sure i can afford it so not going to enter just yet but i'm looking into it

Post Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:55 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Sounds good Craig. It would be good to meet you again.

Oh, I forgot to mention we were filmed for Briz31 news but we forgot to watch it. Embarassed Also photographed for a news paper but we didn't know which one. Embarassed

Post Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:42 am 
seanet1310

Good work lol
Are ideas fest still getting you an arena?

Post Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:01 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

After another round of talks we will be going ahead with building our own arena. Its all coming down to the cost of the thing now and who is willing to pay for it. But it will be happening. There was even a rumor of the Ideas Festival going 50/50 for the money with the Southbank Corporation (the venue for the event) with the promise of holding a regular competition at Southbank.
But on top of that I have had some quotes done for public liability insurance that will not only cover our club for this event but for any other events we want to hold in public. At the moment I'm trying to get a better price than $1200 per year.
These 2 things together, the arena and the insurance, will be huge for our club. Once we have these we can hold public events as often as we want, anywhere we want.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

thats a pretty good price really.
who is it through?

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Good on you for doing all of this.

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:48 am 
Daniel Marshall
Experienced Roboteer

Whoa! $1200
What did you tell them?
The best I could get was $6k P/A from Advantage Johnston. That was based on a match a month in a public place hall, fete ect.
I must do a risk assessment for each event, this may or may not change the price.
for example if there is alcohol at the event as there is at some exhibitions the price may go up. if there is a fire risk as there is at an outdoor event the price goes up.
There is also variations on price depending on the setup of the pits area and the tools that may be in use on the day, hot works gas filling ect.
Do they know there will be children viewing?
that there are builders under 18yrs operating power tools(and robots)?
If the insurance company does not know the full story, come time to claim and they will walk away.
There are few venues that will insure you under their own policy like they did at ideas fest. generally halls and public events want to see your own cover.

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:45 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

The Ideas Festival require us to have our own public liability cover. ALL venues require us to have our own cover. The quotes I have are for public liability insurance for Not For Profit Organisations from Suncorp. This covers us for compensation arising from property damage and personal injury to public within the bounds of the event. It does not cover any damage to club property or injury to club members or participants. It is there solely to protect the venue and audience.
Insurance cover for club property and members is an entirely different package.
Since the club will not be responsible for the sale of food and drinks then that is not a problem.
The audience will not be allowed to touch any robots and certainly not allowed to operate any power tools.
There are certified first aid offices and fire officials on site as well as first aid equipment and fire extinguishers and a fire safety plan will be in place.
Crowd control will be enforced by the venues own sub-contractors.
No fireworks will be present.

A full event description and schedule was provided as part of the quote application.

While this a 1 year coverage for up to 8 events of up to 50 participants and 5000 audience members the other option was $800 per event.

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:25 pm 
Daniel Marshall
Experienced Roboteer

Suncorp, the bank Suncorp?
As long as they know exactly what we are doing, and you know exactly what you are covered for.
Thing is, if someone wants to take you to court you will lose money, regardless if you have the correct insurance or not, the difference being the amount you end up losing when its all said and done. Bear in mind, the insurance company will do what they can to keep their money.
I have been down this road before. Five years ago, I'm happy to tell you the story, but it is a long story.
The point is insurance company's will only insure you if they think they will make money, not lose money.
Cover all your bases and ask loads of questions.
Check these guys out
www.actioninsurance.com.au
www.dmainsure.com.au
They specialize in event insurance.

Just a thought, we should talk about a joint policy as I to am planing to go public next year, we may be able to share the annual premium.

Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:39 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Suncorp as in Suncorp Metway Insurance ltd. It is always cheaper not to use brokers.
While I understand that businesses plan to make money I plan never to need insurance.

What I need to plan now is a way to get some money for the insurance. A couple of years ago I would have been willing to pay for it all myself but things have changed and I'm broke.
The first thing that springs to mind using our bbq lunches to raise money but I'm not sure if people would agree to sausages at $100 each. And it is hard enough to get $10 for yearly fees from everyone.

Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:36 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Mobile slurpee van.

Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:38 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by kkeerroo:
What I need to plan now is a way to get some money for the insurance.
How would it go if we donated spare parts that could be sold? I know I have a few parts I could put up for the cause. Roboteers might find it easier to part with dollars to go towards insurance if they end up with parts that they can use.

Post Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:33 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Very Happy Fund raising, not easy.
the only fundraising we have is the once a year "Battleshed" and our annual fees. Annually we usually only have around $1500 to play with so there isnt much room for insurance and the like.

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:07 am 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

Hey guys, after spending some 8 years of my life fund raising for not for profit organisations I can tell you it can be very difficult as every not for rofit organisation has their hand out. However a couple of things I picked up over that time.

The best fund raiser we ran was an annual sausage sizszle at Bunnings. From memory their was a 2 year waiting list but different states and different stores could be different. Each store organisied it's own roster. I went to each store and spoke to the right person (all you have to do is ask) and we used to make around $600 - $800 per day. and they organise the roster early in the year for the whole year.

The best thing is that if you buy the meat and bread on the day you have very little risk to your money. Unlike a lot of other fund raisers where you have to risk funds up front.

Also sausage sizzles don't hit the same group of people for cash every time and you only need a small group of people to run the stall.

While this may not be helpful for the current year, it's good to plan ahead.

Do the insurance company want money up front, or are the willing to invoice you? if so can you cover the costs with entry fees to the event?

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:13 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

No need to worry about fund raising. We have that covered. Only need to worry about the arena construction as it needs to be underway before the end of next month.

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:03 pm