www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Unconventional Robotics - N.S.W
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 63, 64, 65  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

whatd you bay for it? and give it some more testing, i wanna see if it breaks Very Happy

Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

paid about 8 dollars for that hardneed steel bolt. I shall be doing a bit more testing tomorrow on nicks test bot frame etc etc and will see how that goes. Also will be able to get stuff welded. work on basilisk done and some odds and ends on orbit done also.

Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:29 am 
andrew

Well, today was realy good. got the back panels welded onto orbit and did some testing.

The test bot frame got ahnialated, all the welds were broken basically and the rear end is half hanging off.

BUT the hardened steel shaft still got a little bent and was straighened and then bent again so i have changed it to the circular vertical saw through wedge thingy.

Have it done and tested and looks pretty alright so far whichis a good thing.

Also cut out some more bits for basilisk and milled the hammer heads down a little but nick has lots more milling to go so a late night for him.

I will try and being back the vertical bar working roperly and with a thicker shaft and proper bearing blocks or something one day but for now a vertical saw.

Post Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:16 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

What thickness of shaft are you using Welcher? Personally, I wouldn't be using anything smaller then 15mm 4140 shafts.

Post Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:12 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

hay welcher ever think of going down to bunnings and picking up a big thick high tencile bolt for the shaft

Post Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:15 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The bolt is 12mm and is limited by the bearings, which are 12mm or 1/2" ID. We did talk about changing to an arrangement with bearing blocks and a much thicker axle rather like the Aggressor, but I don't know if Andrew wants to go to all the trouble of re-making the weapon.

Post Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:13 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

that makes sence if you find some one with a lathe get them to lathe out an axle thats right for the bareings but noice and thick in the middle so that there is less chance of bending except if the bareings or the housings bend first

Post Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:07 am 
andrew

First up i just must say a huge thanks to Nick for all his help and work on welding etc etc.

I will relook at rebuilding the weopon system redoing the bearings and shaft after the event as i am stressed out enough recutting 5mm side armour plates and such (since i have teh extra weight now) and for now the vert saw will have to do. SHall make enti flip mechs and other steel bumpers for spiner so i shall still be effective but not have that killer blow that the steel bar gave me.

Oh well maybe next time hey.

Post Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:14 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

This will be of absoultly no help but Adversary's vertical spinner lost one of the bearings in the bike wheel during a test before its first fight. All those hits during the comp were done with only one bearing supporting the disc on one side. Thats why it twisted so much when the robot turned.
But for something more helpful be careful in finding out the difference between 12mm and 1/2" for the axial size. 0.7mm may not sound like much but it'll really effect the performace if there's a 0.7mm gap between the bearing and axial. On the other side, good luck trying to get a 12.7mm bolt onto a 12mm hole.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

What is the unsuported distance betwen the bearing and the wheapon bar ? and is it supported on both side of the axle with a bearing ?.
If the unsurported axle (bolt is more than about 12 mm between parts you can give it a bit of strength by puting a sleeve over the shaft between the bearings and wheapon and tighten the bearing against the sleeve and the wheapon .on both sides of the axle .

Post Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:43 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

hay i never thought about that but yeha it would strengthen it a bit

Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:47 am 
andrew

The weopon is supported on both sides thus why there are 2 wheels. there are a total of 2 bearings per wheel for 4 all up.

The problem was not the bearings although how didgy they seem they worked well. Its a simple problem of the shaft being slighly too small for the power it has to stand up to.

I basically tore apart most of nicks test bot and given one or two more hits probably would have torn one side apart as basically most of the welds were broken or about to break.

Not to mention i popped it about 1 metre in the air doing backflips and air 360's and also tearing through the 4.5mm frame with a blunt blade.

SO it needs a larger shaft and i will figre out either using these industrial bearings Jeff J gave me ages back or to do something with bearing blocks or some other form of way but the shaft needs to be larger.

Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:55 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

It really needs a photo to explain the setup, but basically the bolt is supported at each end by the frame and doesn't rotate. There is about 10 to 12cm between supports. The blade is in the centre of the bolt and there are 2 bearings on either side of the blade. The bearings are part of the drive wheels and there is not much that can be altered with them - there isn't much scope for adding strength without going to a completely different setup.

Andrew - I will PM you an interesting idea I had about this for next season Wink

Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:26 am 
Waddy the phoenix

fair enough but why not use andrews idea first and get a sleeve to put over each side of the shaft or something like that but something that to my knowlage should be done with weopons and things that have to take high impacts and their on shafts is to keep the shaft mountings as close together as possible so there is less area that can bend or get side suports for the disc/wheel like a bike with its spokes so as there is less bending (a bike wheel could be made stronger with a central wheel that is attached to the shaft aswell as the rim but bike wheels dont need to take as heavy an impact so they only use the spokes however haveing a central suport and no spokes would make the wheel twist sideways moral of the story a central wheel can take it a little but it is better if it has angled suports aswell... i think)
Smile
i hope that might have helped in some way maby

Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:28 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

yes sounds like not a lot you can do but at least iff the axel isnt turning then a bit of bending wont afect it too much iff you have a bit of clearance to allow for it getting distorted or is it makeing belts or chains come of or putting friction wheels out of alghinment ect ?

Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:27 pm