www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

"Ausbot" - outdoors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I can easily create a section on the forum here for your new class If you like David..

no need to involve the ad-supported Yahoo Service unless they offer some benefit ?

Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
prong
Experienced Roboteer

I am interested and signed up to the yahoo group to read more but the yahho signup process is so long and horrible and slow that I gave up...

take Brett up on his offer Smile

Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:36 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

ditto

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:24 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I second that, yahoo groups are a pain!

IMHO, Brett's original concept will be easier to achieve and will be just as much fun - the requirements for a worthwhile autonomous bot are just too high, while the weapons are realistically going to be limited to what we already use, with the possible exception of flamethrowers.

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:38 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

And water cannons Razz

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:24 am 
aeldric

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
I can easily create a section on the forum here for your new class If you like David..

no need to involve the ad-supported Yahoo Service unless they offer some benefit ?

Thanks Brett!

Unfortuntely I now have the task of migrating people from the Yahoo group.

Very Happy

I wonder what happens if I do this.......

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:31 pm 
aeldric

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
I second that, yahoo groups are a pain!

IMHO, Brett's original concept will be easier to achieve and will be just as much fun - the requirements for a worthwhile autonomous bot are just too high, while the weapons are realistically going to be limited to what we already use, with the possible exception of flamethrowers.

I 100% agree. There is almost no chance that any autonomous robots or new weapons can be developed in less than 4 months (the date of the first event). And anybody who even attempts anything new is likely to be fodder for the teams that stick to what they know works. But if we prohibit innovation by rule then new things can never be developed.

I think things will start out exactly as you describe. I'm hoping that if the rules are open then there will be some interesting innovations - but I have no idea where it will go or what will happen. One thing I can tell you - we will have fun regardless of how things progress!

Very Happy

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:39 pm 
aeldric

quote:
Originally posted by TDT:
I'm not too keen on the whole Linux/Windows computer controlled idea. Makes it hard for a lot of people and having read a lot about the darpa challenge, doesn't seem to effective.

Not to put you off Subkor, but I think this class is a little spaced out for current times. Railgun and flamethrowers are cool, but in all honesty, people have enough trouble making a railgun that doesn't arc itself to death, let alone build one that can fire from a mobile plantform with less then 48v battery source...

I'm all for the all terrain idea, but autobots and crazy weapons drive me away.

EDIT: Removed bias from including Linux but not Windows

Yup. LINUX/Windows bots are still too immature. And railguns are mostly one shot - ending in a welded railgun.

I agree with the previous comments that a brickbot is probably a winning strategy. A brickbot with all-terrain wheels and a mechanism that allowed it to grab something (such as nexus fields) is a killer bot in this competition.

But if people want to try something innovative I want to let them. Sure they won't win this year - or next year.... but maybe one day we will have an autonomous robot that fires a rail gun that doesn't weld itself to death! And if not - who cares? We had fun!

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:50 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

i personly belive that a midle weight robot rules should apply here or make something like an unlimited class aslong as they fit with in a certen heigh/width/length type thing.
something to ponder
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:41 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Once i get an ibc, it seems likly i'll be building a lightweight, and maybe make it offroad for something like this. Only problem for me is... it's in vic... not syd! Confused
Also, isnt that date extremely close to the robowars event?

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:29 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Not that I'm putting Brett's fine controller down, but asking an IBC to power an all-terrain lightweight bot might be too much for it. Pushing 26Kg or more up an incline will take a fair bit of power and you would likely need 4 drill motors or 100W scooter motors, which is stretching an IBC.

Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:41 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I was thinking two 300w's, which tdt thinks is fine running of an IBC for his electric skateboard...hmm what else could you recommend? victors? lol i missed my chance with them lol. Sad

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:58 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Well our IBC with a fan carries Andrew (60-70kg) around on T2M with the big assed winch motors, so I think the IBC will handle a pair of 300watt scooter motors. Another interesting thing a lot of people may not remember, but Brett's Lightweight, The Acid Test

Runs a pair of 18v drills on 24v with 8inch wheels, running on an IBC!!!!! Razz But hey, if you've got a pair of Victors or the $500+ to buy them, use them, they are a much larger controller and will handle even bigger motors, but for a lightweight running 300watt scooter motors, I think the IBC will still do it's job.

Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:11 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Some people seem to be lucky with the IBC, I guess they either use batteries that can't supply large peak currents or they never load the motors heavily. An IBC *would* work for a while, but a pushing contest would quickly let the magic smoke out of the FETs.

You could either try a pair of Victors with a mixer, or look at the Sidewinder controller from Robot Power. Neither have all the features of the IBC but they will take qquite a bit more power. The Sidewinder also has current limiting, which is really worth having. The next option up from there is the RS80 like Walshy and Jeff Ferrara have

Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:13 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The Acid Test did run on an IBC, but it didnt *like it* Wink.

The two poor little dick smith drill motors would always end up smoking hot after a good drive around, and the IBC would be nice and toasty warm, although it had no fan cooling. and that was with no pushing and shoving, just moving its big heavy frame around.

Given what we know now, I'm impressed that it worked as well as it did as it was our first ever 'bot . I think a lot of the credit for that was due to its full-floating drive system that Gary made. None of the weight of the bot was transferred to the gearbox at all.. it was fully supported by bearings and the drill just had a thin drive shaft.

Torque2Me probably has a similair benefit with its winch-motors.. Very high gearing ratio, meaning its probably damn near impossible to stall the motors and the outputs are obviously well supported to be able to carry Andrew around sitting on it.

Exactly how much abuse any controller will take is subject to a certain amount of luck. How fresh are your batteries, how much grip your tires have, how thick the wiring in your bot is (thin wiring drops voltage in a stall, limiting the peak power and saving your controller, but cooking your wiring), how hot the controller already is so far in the match, how well its cooled and of course, how many amps do your motors pull.

Scooter motors are exceptionally easy on a controller from what we've seen so far.. at their rated output power of 300watts at 24v, they would only use 12-20 amps theoretically. thats nothing compared to the 50-80 amps that a drill motor will suck down (until it melts) if given the chance.

Remember though, that the IBC was originally designed for *Hobbyweights* (Flying Saucer), and turned out to be capable enough to power most feathers as well..

You can put it in a *Heavyweight* if you want to (we drove BullDoze around with one), as long as the motors dont pull too many amps (BullDoze was running very low current wheelchair motors), ultimately, its the amount of *drive power* you want it to control and how reliable you want it to be that determines whether it will survive or not. A high powered feather can overload it, a low powered heavy wont.

So if you're planning on building a off-road version of Blue-Max/Maximus (a supercharged ramming box), forget the IBC. If you're thinking more along the lines of a Pressure-Drop (a slow moving base with a high powered weapon) then it would probably be ok.

Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:00 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger