www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Brisbane event in September
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Author    Thread
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Very Happy you dont need to join NSW ,they are just suggestions that may help insurance issues, and cover everyone at an event ,temporary membership is what it says temporary there is no fees involved it just puts everyone under the one banner temporarilly.

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:34 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Yes but what worries me is if Jolts Tooth does succeed in taking out the Drummer that lives next door and there is no public liability insurance all the members of the club will have to pay, I would be better off not being a member.

I don’t see any advantage being a member, quite the opposite.

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:42 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Actually you're incorrect there Gary. Before the club, if something happened you couldn't claim that on the house insurance. They would laugh at you. It would be the individual who would be held accountable. At least as a club it offers slightly more protection to the individual.

Basically, we don't plan on anything serious happening. But we are taking steps to improve the integrity of the arena. The costs of which are part of the reason for becoming a club.

Our club idea was basically the same as Keerroo's. It was to be used as an official front for our previously unorganised rabble. So we could deal with other organisations properly etc.

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:53 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

If I had access to the old ABBL forum I think I could find posts to the effect that the House Insurance would work and I think it was the NSW contingent taking that position.

Obviously the insurance issue is an old Hot Potato. Smile

And yes if you do something and even if you don’t you can be sued, it’s the part about being held liable even if your not even there just because you’re a club member that doesn’t appeal to me.

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:07 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by chrisjon65:
Very Happy you dont need to join NSW ,they are just suggestions that may help insurance issues, and cover everyone at an event ,temporary membership is what it says temporary there is no fees involved it just puts everyone under the one banner temporarilly.

quote:
Originally posted by Bort:
Actually you're incorrect there Gary. Before the club, if something happened you couldn't claim that on the house insurance. They would laugh at you. It would be the individual who would be held accountable. At least as a club it offers slightly more protection to the individual.

Basically, we don't plan on anything serious happening. But we are taking steps to improve the integrity of the arena. The costs of which are part of the reason for becoming a club.

quote:
Originally posted by Rotwang:
If I had access to the old ABBL forum I think I could find posts to the effect that the House Insurance would work and I think it was the NSW contingent taking that position.

Can some one please post up some links or documents showing hard facts who is reliable for what in regards to insurance. I'd rather read some information from the right places instead of just going word of mouth on the forums. Confused

WRT forming a club and getting a government grant here in QLD, I have had the paper work at home for the last 3 months... I'll see if I can find it for you Andrew/Daniel.

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:16 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I don’t have all the answers I recommended you see a solicitor and ask him for some answers, I am trying to help with some questions; If I was that good at legal advice would I be building Hot Rods for a living? Smile

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:43 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I agree with Gary. You really need to get legal advice before you go into anything. You can make your own informed decision after you have all of the information.

I should take my own advice and check if there are any limits for ground based remote control toys on my contents insurance policy. I think that there is a limit of a 2.5 metre wing span for remote control aeroplanes.

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:20 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

@TDT:
I already have the paperwork but it doesn't matter since the latest rounds of offers is due in by the 5th of April.

as for the insurance I have already (as of a couple of months ago) got quotes on public liability insurance of coverage up to $2000000. It would work out to be approx $800 - $1200 per year depending on details. This would only cover general public viewing an event as members of an audience, it would not cover the builders or club assets. This would have to be coverd in yearly membership fees. Seperate general liability insurance would be needed to cover these things.
At the moment I am waiting for plans for an arena so I can get quotes on materials, construction, storage and transportation. And once I have that we can look at grants and insurance of course.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

On a more upbeat note I still have the 2 computer bots, there no good for fighting but they can play Soccer, Sumo, Tug of war type games. They both have drills, 7amp SLA’s and Scorpion XL’s. Happy to loan them if there any use to you.Complete with TX's.

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:46 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

well there you go a bit fund raising $1200 dollars worth and the public is safe ,as for the builders wanting to sue thats another matter,if you are worried about getting hurt maybe you should join a knitting club ,less risk Wink

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:47 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Actually insurance for the builders wouldn't be a bad idea to find out about, somebody only has to loose one finger and its a bad day.

Something with say a $10,000 excess to discourage frivolity. Perhaps something that is done per event? IE part of the event fee is your insurance. Anybody have any idea what something like that would be like? I imagine it would be something similar to a chippy if not safer, (we don't put our hands near running circular saws regularly at events).

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I really don’t wont to dwell on the insurance but one of my model aircraft mates was telling me about one of the guys loosing an eye to a model aircraft propeller. He was an airline pilot so that was the end of his career.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=446245&in_page_id=1770

Wonder what these people would recommend
Very Happy

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:34 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I think we need a goverment department to enforce the printing of instructions on all packets of toothpicks..
Do you know how sharp and *dangerous* those things are ??!

Someone could poke their eye out with one, and that could be the end of their career ! Shocked

And they have the nerve to sell them in supermarkets ! Little Kiddies could buy them right alongside their "XXXTra Caffiene Cola !" Shocked Shocked Wont anyone please think of the children ??! Rolling Eyes

Maybe we should just outlaw stupid people instead ? Ooops, there went 90% of the human race. Ah well, off to the "B" Ark with them.

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Ah so anyway is this a little off topic? Might be an idea to split these threads? Brett?

If you want a public event to happen anytime soon kingston park is your best bet and they are definately interested.

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:45 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Kingston park is our best bet at the moment as Dreamworld wouldn't return my calls after the first round of talks. They understand our position and are willing to help.
But what we really need to get sorted out as soon as possible is an arena.

And Bret, posts like that don't help.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Last edited by kkeerroo on Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger