www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Woodzilla - Team Aurora - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Damn stupid computer... Sad
EDIT: Ah! for some reason, someone had selected "block pictures from photobucket.com" ?! Mad
lol very nice job glen!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:30 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol your computer must suck then Laughing

i edited the before post with some more info and a new pic

Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

made up some aluminium strips thatll act as giant washers for where the actuator is going to bolt on. dont want that pulling through the base plate. and it makes it look more aluminium made.

also figured out a way to bolt the side panels to the wheel well walls. not sure how im going to bolt that assembly to the baseplate now though, might just use some more L bracket on that.

some of the wood is starting to split in the corners too, ill probably try coating all the edges in 5 minute epoxy and see if that helps matters. might try painting the entire MDF panel in it... who knows might make it a little better.

Post Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

much design work done on the clamper mechanism today. and i also made one really cool visual change that really gives it that right look.

BUT the change is dual wheels. instead of just a single pair of red wheels it now has two sets bolted together side by side, reduces wear, gives it more traction and it makes the thing look seriously MEATY. not worried about the gearboxes as the whole robot will only weigh some 7kg when its done.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v357/Cobrarobotics/Woodzilla/Cad.jpg

this is what the mech looks like after some extremely quick designing. havent done any accurate geometry positioning and stuff yet, its all just been thrown in. made out of 10mm aluminium and running on 16mm stainless steel shafts. that bit im making seriously hardcore because i want to use it in a newer feather down the track. and face it MDF would never be up to lifting 14kg over such a long arm.

have to lengthen out the forks and jaw too, made them much too small.

Last edited by Glen on Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:31 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

more design revision... said i was going to build a crusher from the start and wouldnt you know it here i am again...

in an appropriate action shot..

simpler, stronger, made from 6mm steel it weighs 1.5kg and its just gunna have a shyte load of power to it i should hope. the leverage on it should be pretty well as good as it gets because about 150mm travel on the jaws translates into 200mm movement on the actuator. 3mm steel wedge as well, was gunna use ali but im sure that would bend nice and quick like.

and i also took apart the actuator gearbox and found one plastic gear that was nicely stripped of all teeth, so ill have to give it an entire metal gearbox mod.

Post Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:16 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

mmmm me thinks that a metal frame is starting to grow inside that robot ...lol Very Happy

Post Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:42 pm 
Archer

i was going to say i dont wanna be rude but yer that is starting to look more like a ali frame

Post Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:49 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

hmmmmmmmm i thought it probly going to go this way.

the down side to this class is that many of our weapons need metal componatry to mount to or eles it will break under the force of its self.

just looking at the pictures of the above shot it looks like glens just using wooden armor on metal frame and mounting everything to the metal

Im not entirly sure bout the rules in this class but i hought a "wooden" bot could only be made out of wooden bits with a few ali or steel brakets in it to mount weapons on not to make bulk of the frame of it.

mayby im being to harsh but iwould have put it in the same weight class as the metal bots due to the fact that it had a metal "frame" in it

someone corect me if im wrong Twisted Evil
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:59 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:

No frames allowed; Means that the MDF is structural damaging the MDF will lead to a broken bot that can be easily repaired.
We are tying to avoid framed Bots (welded, bolted, glued, riveted) because we what to see robot disabled though damage and then rebuilt for the next heat.
You can us blocks, brackets, angels, etc of any material to joining of MDF panels

i thought the rules stated that no piece of metal could connect to another, as in no angle brackets could be bolted together to form some type of internal frame, to that end no piece of metal is connected to any other except for the weapon (which i thought was alright?)

and further more how would you possibly construct the thing out of no metal brackets? only thing i could think of would be square sections of solid MDF you could make some form of corner brackets out of??

Post Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:35 pm 
Archer

well with the brackets its just I think that they go all the way up hence unbreakable and they are also the same size or very close to the same size as the mdf armour. So if you break the mdf all the metal brackets will hold the rest of the bot. thats just what i think.

Post Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:46 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
So if you break the mdf all the metal brackets will hold the rest of the bot. thats just what i think.

lol thats kind of the point, if the MDF gets broken there wont be any robot, the thing is basically entirely MDF externally.

how would you suggest fixing it anyway.. even if i changed it over to 25x25 bracket, they would still go high enough to protect the batteries and relays

Post Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:52 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

I think it is fine, the metal brakcets spread the load to the mdf. In the end the 'frame' is the mdf, the point is that if you hit it with something mdf will break and the bot will not hold together.

Glens Bot does this fine, break the mdf and the robot is a pile of brackets... hehe

looking nasty Glen! I like it!

Post Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:11 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

well it does look goodbut i think we may have to draw up a clear ruleing system for metal braceing in a bot Ie something like 25 % of the weight can be used as a support structure

PS sorry for the clogging of the build thread we should continue this in the "fun bots" section.
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:54 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

oops sorry Glen the coment was meant only as a bit of humour .. at the moment you are starting the precident with the wooden class so it wil be up to the event organiser to determin whats brackets and whats a metal frame ... i cant see any of the angles bolted together so im gueseing your still with in the rules ..

Post Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:35 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hehe thats alright andrew, itll be interesting to see what ammendments have to be made when its all done, that MDF is some wierd stuff it is

Post Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:26 am