But what do you have if you don't have an organisation
?

Post Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:41 pm 
3Faze

Progress.

Post Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:05 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Use some initiative and do stuff without being told to by an authority and without wasting time forming hierarchies. Razz

Post Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
3Faze

Hierachies are handy things for storing the people who don't want to do any work.

Post Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:14 pm 
Sam

FRA

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
Now, who thought an association was a good idea again ? Razz

Erm, me for one Confused And I still do think it's a good idea to have an organisation which takes responsibility for safety and rules....

As to calling it an "association", well I has nothing to do with that.. frankly I hate the word, and all it implies!

The concept of the FRA was entirely sound... it's just that, as with a lot of other perfectly good concepts, it's fallen foul of human nature.
Communism is in theory the best form of government we could possibly have, but just the same as the FRA, doesn't work due to humans being involved in the mix.

I'd have to say if I'd known then what I know now, I certainly wouldn't have put the considerable work I did in getting it up and running Crying or Very sad

By the way.... Hi all, it's nice to see a lively robot forum where I can comment without the worry of getting a. censured b. deleted for expressing my views Evil or Very Mad

Sam
http://www.robotcrusade.com

Post Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:40 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Nice to see you here Sam, sorry to hear that your home ground isnt too comfy at the moment though, I hope you find us to be a more accomodating lot when it comes to freedom of speech..

A lot of theoretically good social ideas fail when "human nature" is taken into the mix.. but in the simplest viewpoint, a lot of humans resent being controlled, yet covet positions of power and control themselves.. so they unconciously work to increase their own power and control over others, whilst proclaiming to be actually acting in the interests of others or some abstract organisation.

Once you realise that, then its obvious that the most minimalistic, limited and least-powerful form of government is the sort you want. Of course, it tends to try and naturally increase its own power over time, so you need to keep it locked up and dont feed it after midnight or you might find that you ending up serving it instead of the other way around.

Responsibility ? Haha.. try getting a government to take responsibility for anything.. they'll just hold a few more committee meetings, waste months of time, and end up issueing a few more rules to put the responsibility back on you, and if they can get away with it, some form of fines/punishment/membership suspension/jail to force you to comply. Call that responsibility ?

Some of the builders here will remember the Australian Robot Warriors Organisation (ARWO) which fell to power struggles and faction wars before anyone had even built an actual competing robot !

a favourite quote of mine (unknown source) is

"For forms of government, Let Fools contest..
Whatever is best administered is best.."

Stick the paper-pushers in a locked box (or better still piss them off so much that they go to some other organisation to play their game in), and let the workers get on with it I reckon..

anyway, welcome to Australia.. Wink

Post Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Ah, Sam from the Shredder Team. Good to see a veteran of the UK jump on the forums besides Stu and Steven Cool

Welcome to the forums of Oz Razz

Post Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:38 am 
Sam

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome guys, it's good to be here Very Happy

Looks like things are really quite healthy in the Australian robot combat world, which is damn nice to see!

Sam
http://www.robotcrusade.com

Post Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:46 am