www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

RC cars, planes, boats, heli's etc talk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I've tried my hand at it, and yeah, bretts right it is hard to master.. think of it as simmiler to trying to fly the apache in desert combat... but much more responsive and your not flying from the cockpit! Sad
Oh and did i mention when you crash you CAN'T just respawn? Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:26 am 
kenshin

You'd better watch out with the zoom 400 and all the 400 copies, the tal gears are known to be very weak. Not so long ago, they flew one on tv, and suddenly, the tailgears broke Shocked . Luckilly the guy pitched it fully down, so it smacked to the ground. And that was in a crowded studio( thank god he reacted fast enough...)

Anyway, I also have a small rc-helicopter(carboon, one of the hummingbird clones) They seem a little fiddly to me, the rx/esc thing broke the day i got it Confused

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:00 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

is that the RC models show on the how to channel or a different one?

my friend too has a little toy rc helicopter like those cheapy ebay ones, and he snapped the landing skid off on one side after dropping it to the floor from about 7 feet..

tell you what though, i think they are made by air hogs, but there are these 2 motor powered electic planes that fly by varying the power between them, and they are really fun to fly around. i remember seeing a young kid at the port maquarie air show fly one into the stationary rotors of an iriqoui and got it stuck up there. about 50 people where waiting around for them to start up the rotors Laughing

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kenshin

It's not one of the toy helicopters, it's a micro helicopter (like the eco piccolo and others.

Because the frame looked so badly made, i tried to make one myself, but i haven't finished it yet Rolling Eyes

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:04 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Yes, the tail gears are a bit of a weak spot in them.. you have to get the mesh just right or they will chew up the teeth in short order..

The new models (T-Rex and Walkera 36/39) use a tooth-belt-drive for the tail instead of the shaft with gears. Got a bare frame of one of them due anyday now..

The frame on the walkera chopper is one of the best made parts of it in my opinion, but I notice there are lots of different grades of plastic.. perhaps yours is one of the more brittle ones ? Still, 7ft is a hell of a drop for it to survive

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

well i think its a bargan seeing the prices of the choppers. i can get a kyosho consept 30 down a cash converters for 400 $ but this thing has the full deal with a petrol motors as well. probably outta my league but considering the price and time on my hands i might be able to master it yet. also i happen to have an oval down the road, just my luck. Very Happy.
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:00 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Apparently flying model aircraft in your local park, school oval or wherever is illegal, not to mention dangerous, since there is no control over curious spectators, dogs, kids or anything to stop them from getting in the way of spinning bits.

Even more so with a chopper, given the increased danger of their large diameter high speed blades and the difficulty of control.

You're supposed to join a local flying club, whose membership fees include third-party insurance incase your model takes out someones eye or something and only fly at their field.

If you get a Helicopter and decide to ignore that, make sure your parents are aware of what you're doing (you are under 18 arent you ?), since they're the ones who will end up footing the bill if your chopper plunges through someones window or something,

If any casual spectators do wander up to see what you're doing, you probably should stop flying, explain to them that these things are dangerous and that they need to keep well back, wear eye protection and be ready to run if you lose control. Shocked

Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:55 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Thats true... i think for local parks and things you should keep to small foamies...
Does anyone know if its illegal to run rc boats in park ponds? Like centenial park for example. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:47 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Apparently flying model aircraft in your local park, school oval or wherever is illegal,

you cant do anything in public anymore without forking out the big cash money for insurance and what not... i wouldnt be surprised if no running signs started going up at parks..

Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:00 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Yer iv seen them at pools Laughing

Why cant i run near a pool?

Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:32 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

my theory is that the magical force field exerted by the pool cripples your legs Mad damn mexicans

Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:37 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

lol dont be silly i almost knocked myself out running and slipping at the homebush aquatic center... it was my last day at that school too! Embarassed

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:29 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

i said it mostly as a joke but i forgot how easy it is to start something.
i was thinking bout doing that as another oval (also up the road ) DOES let you as long as you can provide a safe enviroment, IE no unessisary spectators.

But anyways can i mount any type of blade (provided it fits) or dose it have to be factory standard to fly on to the rotors?
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:46 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I've tried 3 different types of Rotors (Foam, Wood, "Carbon Fibre" (sort of))so far in my rotor smashing career and they have all worked.

As long as the mounting holes, blade-root thicknesss and size are all reasonably close and you make sure they dont have any slop in them, they all seem to work..

oh, except blades from a fixed-pitch helicopter wont work on a collective-pitch helicopter, the fixed pitch blades are much more curved and arent designed to wiggle back and forth as they sweep around like a collective pitch heli does..

Post Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:57 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

Had a look at an RC heli comp. last weekend....
They were flying upside-down around a course, bursting ground-mounted balloons with the main rotors at one stage... Shocked
At another stage they had to quickly fly a course through hoops at varying heights.... Shocked

I've destroyed a couple of helis and heaps of blades trying to fly (inside of the shop - out of hours) but these guys didn't even twitch.
My hat's off to anyone who can really fly rc choppers.
Unfortunately, I'm one of these people who should remain 'ground based'.
Laughing

Post Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:00 pm