www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

New Pit Area Restrictions

Author    Thread
Mel
Site Admin

New Pit Area Restrictions

The recent Victorian round at Sidetracked saw some issues come to light and with the venue holder voicing concerns over them, the decision has had to be made to restrict access to the pit area on all future Robowars events such as this.

The pit area is now offlimits to anyone not issued with a pit pass. Indemnity forms will have to be filled out prior to each event and persons under 18yrs of age need to be accompanied by an adult who is responsible for them at all times. Pit passes are restricted to 2 persons per robot registered to do battle. Pick your necessary team members carefully. No Pit Pass - No Access.

This was done to some extent at one of our earlier events - however, due to many builders disregarding requests not to invite family, friends and associates into the pit area, it proved more of a problem keeping them out than allowing them to stay.

The safety reasoning behind this may not be immediately apparent to the educated bot builders, since they are aware of the possible danger level of these machines and hopefully treat thim with appropriate respect and care,

However the general public, being unaware of failsafes, arming and other safety issues would possibly not exercise due caution around the bots, and may get hurt through ignorance of the danger.

Besides the safety aspect of this decision, there are many thousands of dollars worth of equipment at times left lying unattended and open to public attention.

With the number of robot fighters attending each event on the increase, this open access trend cannot continue, and these measures will need to be adhered to far more strictly in the future. do NOT promise all your friends and family acess to the pits at a RoboWars event, as it will NOT be granted.

Sorry for this, but we need to consider the liability concerns of the venue provider and the safety of all..

Post Sat May 21, 2005 4:31 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

what about people like me that are under 18 and no one in the team is over 18 can we appoint a "Watcher" that looks over us. ie someone we know but isn't on the team
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Sun May 22, 2005 12:06 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Glen's under 18 and has turned up to RoboWars events with only himself in the pits (Except for RoboWars 1 when his Sister was briefly taking photos). So I don't see a problem with you Al Cool

Post Sun May 22, 2005 3:09 pm 
Mel
Site Admin

Under 18's

Yep, an adult who's there who would be willing to sign for your responsibility.

Unfortunately Aaron, that was then and this is now.

Post Mon May 23, 2005 6:16 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

well i dont have that problem as of 3 months

Post Mon May 23, 2005 7:01 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Seems a bit over zallas i think.

I think most roboteers are responsible enoughf to safely work on there bots in the pits bye them selves.

What sparked this again? The under 18s must have an 18 or over to watch over them?

Post Mon May 23, 2005 9:51 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Legal liability issues. Under 18yo's cant sign disclaimers taking responsibility for their own actions..

Sorry Tim, we're not trying to hassle you young builders, we just need to make sure that the venue owner is protected from any young idiot's parents suing because their kid stuck their fingers where they shouldn't have and got them chopped off..

You dont need to be "watched over" as such, but you do need someone who is legally responsible for you to grant their permission (sign off) for you to be in a dangerous place at your own risk

Post Mon May 23, 2005 9:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Not that im one of them but just thought id ask what about younger builders that team up like two under 18s working on the one bot would there be exeptions allowing 3 people eg' two builders and one adult?

Post Mon May 23, 2005 10:04 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Exceptions can be made for nearly anything if they are arranged in advance and are justifieable (as in the case you presented), we just cant continue to allow the present free-for-all access to the pits and have to start restricting it.

2 people per bot seemed like a reasonble starting figure to allow a mechanic and a driver, without overcrowding the pits.

Post Mon May 23, 2005 10:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

So who will be the volenteer to watch over people under 18 if a relitive cant stay with them?

Wouldent that mean that person would allso have to exept the responsibility if an idiot stuck there finger in a saw or something?

Not that im picking just thought it get out out of my head and in the open Very Happy

Post Mon May 23, 2005 10:20 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Oy, didnt you *read* my response ? Confused I said you *dont* need to be watched over.

If your legal guardian is happy to accept responsibility for your actions and then leave you unsupervised, that is their problem if you do something stupid while left alone.

As long as the venue owner is covered against your guardian claiming they didnt know you were going into a dangerous area, and you shouldnt have been allowed there, we dont care if idiots lose their fingers..

(Well, actually we do, but I've always been a believer in the "survival of the fittest, let the stupid eliminate themselves" rule, so sometimes I might seem a bit harsh towards people who dont want to accept responsibility for their own stupidity)

Post Mon May 23, 2005 10:27 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Ok now i get ya.

I just thought bye "You dont need to be "watched over" as such" ment they still have to be there but just dont have to hang around you all the time like a fly.

Ok yes i dont see the legal gardian just sighing a form to agree they know the of all the dangers be any hassle or inconveniance.

Post Mon May 23, 2005 10:33 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

i'd assume it would be simmilar to a "school camp"
hell we went skiing on one camp and some guy ran another guy over by accident to the point of hospitilisation.

so if a school can get away with that..

now to get to work on changing all the school zones to 110kph speed limits during "school hours"

Post Mon May 23, 2005 10:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Or in Arthur Ransome’s words
“Better drowned than duffers, if not duffers wont drown”
Smile

Post Tue May 24, 2005 7:24 pm