www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Chess Ranking system
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

It is an insult to be outranked by a bot called Prancing Queen.

Post Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:22 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I wish to apologise to 2 people because I messed up the rankings a bit. First to Tim and Hell Razor because I typed in his points wrong. He should of had 1229.14015 instead of 1226.14015, which points Hell Razor in front of Stainless Steel Rat at position 16.
Next apology goes to Andrew and Woktronics as I left it off the table altogether. I had all the point figured out but just over looked it. It now comes in at position 41.

And while I was waiting for the results from the recent victorian event I changed the last event column to be colored so no you can more easily see what year the robots last fought in. I also added a new column with the robots current and best winning streaks.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DavidM

Up front, I personally don't like the system. Just my personal view, and kerroo has put in the hard yards in to get it going, so I salute you for your efforts in doing it and keeping it up to date.

But its only one of many ways to rank a competition. Much like statistics you can bias an outcome by selecting a method or protocol, leading to a famous quote (by Mark Twain - I think) "Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics".

The data in the ranking system has the total wins and losses, is if possible to generate two 'appendix' tables with ranking of bots against wins, and another against wins to loss ratios.

Post Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:59 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

"There are three kinds of lies:
lies, damned lies and, statistics."
- Benjamin Disralie

"Do not put your faith in what statistics say

I have a few problems with it too. It doesn’t acknowledge who operates the bot, who built the bot, which preps the bot and it can be any number of different bots as long as they share the same name however if you up date a design and change the name you start again but at the end of the day it gives a simple result that the public can understand and if the Keros are happy to keep doing it I am happy to go along with it. Smile

Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:02 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
The data in the ranking system has the total wins and losses, is if possible to generate two 'appendix' tables with ranking of bots against wins, and another against wins to loss ratios.

I tried that and didn't like it. It ended up seeming that the order was more to do with who's been to the most compititions more then anything else. And with so many robots with only 1 or 2, umm, kills, then it makes it a bit hard to get them in an order that isn't just aphabetical or age. But I shall knock up another table next weekend.
That'll be 6 tables. I'll need a menu page too. Rolling Eyes

quote:
I have a few problems with it too. It doesn’t acknowledge who operates the bot, who built the bot, which preps the bot and it can be any number of different bots as long as they share the same name however if you up date a design and change the name you start again but at the end of the day it gives a simple result that the public can understand and if the Keros are happy to keep doing it I am happy to go along with it.

I'm running out of room. If I add another column with teams/drivers it'll fall off the side of my computer screen.
And as for design updates to robots thats been totally up to me so far, as no one has complained too much yet. Would you like Fragmentor and Ball Peen combined? It won't take that long. Mini Mower and Reboot too. It'll be easier then getting the results from Saturdays comp. Wink

Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Wellll? Frag is Ballpeen’s replacement and although Ballpeen aka KillBot Still exists it definitely is retired from competing.

Reboot has taken over from MiniMower same deal, MiniMower is retired to demo, fillers promos etc and the current Rotwang drum bot is Reboot.

Dozer aka Blade aka Cake Taker is retired and Ballistic is the Rotwang flipper.

Mouse is retired and The Stainless Steel Rat is our current brick bot technically under the Chronos team banner.

I am not sure how it should be done, it’s your system and I would have no problem with you playing God and deciding when a new bot should carry on from an old one.

To make it easier for you I think it only fair that people let you know when a bot is definitely retired from competing.

Some situations are probably inevitable eg.
Ending up with situations where someone might build a new bot and end up not re using an old name they really like just because the old bot has a bad ranking.
Or someone building a totally deferent bot and re using the old name of a high ranked bot just to get it off to a flying start.
Feeling obliged or trapped into competing with a bot of the same name or if a specific weapon or design feature is mandated to qualify for an existing ranking will hinder or discourage people from building different new bots. The up side of that is the fans will get a chance of seeing the same bots and that will help the show aspect of the sport as they adopt favourites.
I didn’t think you interstate people cared abought the spectators. Smile

Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:46 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

in my oppinion we dont have enough robots to keep both the spectators and the compeditiors happy so screw the spectators with out the compedititors there would be no spectators (well maby a little blunt and to the point but thats what im getting from it Very Happy)

Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:04 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Actually I'm just doing it because I wanted to do it.

So where are these Victorian results? Very Happy

Post Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:03 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Updated.
http://www.hellfire-labs.s5.com/robot%20rankings.htm

You will now see a home page linking to 7 different tables. The first one is pretty simple. The second is only compitition that have happened in the last 18 months which doesn't amke it much different from the first table as I have only removed Marayong 1 at the moment with its whole 2 fights. The thrid table is almost the same a the first, but is teams rather then robots. I can see why Gary wanted it as he's on top. Wink The forth is the robot organised by the amount of kill they have rather then points. I don't think it is acurate at all. And the other 3 tables eachs states legaue rankings.

I still want to add the calculations to web site so if people want to complain that I'm not doing it fairly then they can check the calculations themselves.

Post Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:00 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol coming 4th in the team rankings with a one man team, actually totally OT but i reckon thats the one difference between australia and the UK / US in robots, we tend to have one man teams instead of big ones

you should get a job in data entry, your pretty good at it Very Happy

Post Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

True, you know, it's so cool to be the highest ranking no weapon bot in aus (i'll soon put a stop to that!). Hey, i'm 22 now! Very Happy
I'll get YOU jolt!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:51 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by kkeerroo:
Updated.

Good Job on doing all that work, I'll put a link from the RoboWars site across to your page.. shows just how many bots there are around now too.. Smile

BTW, your www.robowars.org link at the bottom of the main page has a typo in it. its linking to www.robowasr.org

Post Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
BTW, your www.robowars.org link at the bottom of the main page has a typo in it. its linking to www.robowasr.org

Yeah. Rolling Eyes

Updated.

Now you can check to see if I caLculated your result correctly. Now to wait for the complants. Razz

Oh and if you look at the lists of robots you see some are clickable. You'll then see a piccy of the robot and a little bit of info. I did this so people who are reading this mindless infomation can find out what the robots look like. There's nothing worse then reading about yankee and pom robots and not know what they look like. I wanted to add things link current rankings and stuff like that but I realised I'll have to update every single robots page every time there's a comp so I said to myself, bugger it.

I don't actually have many good piccy's of robots and I could pull them out of video's, but at the moment I can't be stuffed. If you have a photo and you want your robot added, put the piccy somewhere where I can find it and let me know.

I also guess this will be the first time most of you have seen Prancing Queen.

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:53 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
lol coming 4th in the team rankings with a one man team, actually totally OT but i reckon thats the one difference between australia and the UK / US in robots, we tend to have one man teams instead of big ones

Glen there is a very basic reason that US &UK teams have more than one person and I was reminded of that recently. They are too heavy to lift on your own! Smile

Rotwang bot pick's
http://robowars.org/forum/album_personal.php?user_id=30

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:44 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol that is a point, i remember hearing about the super heavyweight maximum getting towered around the pits with a quad.

and one for the kerrisons, print that out and ill sign if for you next event lol

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=706

oh yeah and jolt uses 18v drills with the 60mm polyurethane wheels for drive IIRC

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:50 pm