www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

BATTLESHED '07: Barrage In The Garage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Boring wedges dont matter in a non-public event Razz
I'm tempted to build a Tim style solid chunk of steel to take along just to stir them all up.. Wink

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
I think he's broken it and doesn't want anyone to know

I haven't unpacked Schmackhed at all... It's still sitting in the suitcase with the all the gear and have my clothes still wrapped around it....

quote:
didn’t think you were so thin skinned

Yeah, neither did I, was kinda proud of my basic robot that was built out of scrap and used cheapo drills, went all the way to the top 4 places, beating the "Most Destructive Spinner In Australia", only losing to one robot, and gave that robot a run for his money both times I lost, only to hear, "Oh it's a boring wedge, why don't you build something better", or "It's too slow, make it faster" kinda just made the whole effort seem like a waste of time.

But, I'll be coming back with an active weapon to be "exciting" and there will be a few robots I'll be grudging due to builders comments, and no mercy will be shown Wink

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:16 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That's the spirit! I would much rather be beaten by a bot with an active weapon Laughing

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:35 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yeah well ill show you all, ILL BUILD A WEDGE MADE OF STEEL Cool

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Shocked Gasp! Shocked

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:31 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Not steel Glen? Anything but steel....

Good to hear that Neweyn and George are interested. We're not after confirmations, just sending the feelers out to see who's thinking about it.

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:32 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I'm thinking about it too. I cant promise just yet, but mid year is a good time for me.. much more financially comfortable than I am at Christmas.

And it would be nice to attend an event where its SEP to make it all happen. Wink

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:42 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

"SEP" = Someone Else's Problem?

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:47 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

SEP fields only work if you don't know they exist....

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I would like to come down one day, but work comitments will dictate when I am able to do so. This year is unlikely.

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:56 am 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

You can kick back and put your feet up if you like. I've noticed that the less you have to organise at an event the less stressed you seem to be.

The event is going to be run 'professionally' but not quite so hectic as when there's a show to put on with a crowd that gets bored easily.

I want a pair of Zaphod's sunglasses that balcken over when its SEP. In fact forget the sunglassses people should just disappear when they start talking about SEP. Would make life so much easier. Smile

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:19 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Yep, Promoting and EO'ing is really *not* why I got into Robot Wars..

As a techie the idea of building fun destructive machines and putting on a show with them appealed to me, actually running the show isnt my cup of tea at all, so please forgive my occasional grumpiness at events. Embarassed

As competitors, I'm sure you feel the increase in pressure when the public is watching.. imagine that x20 and you will get an idea of what its like to be EO.

Pressure accumulates from unhappy competitors over Close Judging Decisions, Tech Inspections, Safety Proceedures, Security of the Pits, fixing damage to arena, workshop access, scheduling *and* keeping the crowd happy are all felt by the EO as personal stress. It is our goal to make sure you enjoy yourself.. Ask anyone who has run a decent size party how much fun it *isnt* for the host. Rolling Eyes

Theres a pic of me somewhere from RoboWars 1 taken by Colin who had yelled out "Brett !" at me and then snapped a pic just as I turned and caught the look on my face. I just had about 50 "Brett ! - I need help with this or that" in a short space of time, and was so sick of hearing it, I nearly bit his head off.. whoa. what an ugly photo.. Embarassed

So yes, the idea of competing at an event where all that is Someone Elses Problem quite appeals to me.. Very Happy

On that note, if it turns out to be a relatively big gathering, I'm sure word will spread and quite a few "friends of friends of friends" will probably come along for a look. Do you have any plans to keep these people out of the pit areas ?

Apart from the danger, theres also quite a lot of expensive gear lying about and I have heard some stories from events overseas where the pits have been accessible to the general public, of Radios, Chargers, Batteries and other expensive bits going walkabout.

Most of the competitors know each other well and trust each other making the pits a relatively safe place. If you have to keep half an eye on every unknown head who wanders up and starts poking at your bot and fiddling with things while you have bits everywhere in frantic repair mode, then its a lot less fun.

Is it possible for you to put up some sort of barricade to keep the GP (General Public) out of the pits unless they are given a pass by a competitor ? I think its quite an important issue to consider.

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:05 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Next you will wont a POV gun. Cool

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:08 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Nah, Mel would fire it at me all the time.. Razz

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:25 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Oh man, the Hitchhiker puns are coming thick and fast Laughing

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:31 pm