www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

India trip
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

How's my damn robot?
You need to find some 3/8" BSW or UNC nuts. I found the 2 that hold the axe on last night. Very Happy

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:40 pm 
Daniel Marshall
Experienced Roboteer

Enjoy your time there Andrew. India must be an amazing place.

Could you do me one favour, and take a few detailed photos of their arena, just need some more ideas for the one we are building here.
Thanks heaps.

( I hear the toilets are nice in India )

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:49 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Don't forget to film as much footage as possible!!! Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:14 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

He didn't take any camera's. With the bagage weight limit set at 20kg for international flights and a surcharge of $24 per kilo you go over that. We tried to remove as much weight out of what we took to Melbourne as possible. Both our bags we took down to Melbourne weighed a total of 50kg. We managed to shrink that down to 36kg. The video camera and its bag add an extra kilo, so it was left behind. So was one of the two battery chargers, one of Avenger's 3 batteries, all the tools except a spanner and screw driver, all of Avenger's spare weapons, Devastator's spare gas bottles and now clothes are carry on.

From what I can remember they'll be testing robots today and the compitition is 6:30pm tomorrow night. That'll be 10:30pm here in Brisbane.
And we were told that we'll get a DVD of the compitition.

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:24 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Sad That sucks.
I'll hope someone else films then! I'd really like to see how the fights go.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:26 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

6:30pm here is 11:00pm in Brisbane and who knows what in NSW and VIC.
There is no testing today as the arena has not yet been finished. It has aparently been built to the American standard. It has 2m high walls and no roof at the moment and Mr Calkins brought 4x 18lb boxes that the Indian students can modify themselves I am a little worried about Devastator flipping a robot out of the arena.
We have also been told that there is a large amount of pyrotechnics for the show as well as a laser light show for fillers.
What else? Traffic is terrible, pedestrians are treated like targets and always be nice to the men with guns!

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daniel Marshall
Experienced Roboteer

Hey Andrew,I know you are there to compete not take happy snaps, but its the behind the scenes stuff that is the good stuff. I will be happy to deposit cash in to your bank account for you to buy a disposable camera, if you just get a few good shots of the arena and layout, just let me know how much you need.
How is the night-life?

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:39 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by kkeerroo:
I am a little worried about Devastator flipping a robot out of the arena.

I think that should be the aim rather than a concern! Razz

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

GO AVENGER!!!!!

I hope the wheels don't fall off again.

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:40 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

The competition started 12 hours ago, so it should be finished. But no one as said anything yet.
I did find this http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=219364

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:07 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

The show was crazy!!
I took some photos with my phone but the arn't very good. I have never seen so many people in the one place before. They had flame throwers on the corners of he arena, Confety launchers next to the arena (I am still a little deaf from the bangs they made), fireworks overhead and lasers all over the place and a DJ playing all through.
I have to be quick here but I will say that avenger won 2 lost 1 and Devastator won 1 lost 1 and sent one of Davids robots into the roof repeatedly. I was the crowd favorite witj tje sepectators rushing the stage afterwards to ask for autographs and photos!
I have been promised a copy of the video that they had made up.

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tomo

Sounds sweeeeeet. I bet that DVD would be sweet. I'd love to get a copy!

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:40 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Here are some more details of what went on last night. I couldn't write much before as this computer is slow and we had to leave to go and give a talk on the robots.
The show was scheduled to start at 6:30pm but we moved the robots over to the arena just after lunch. This was also the first time that I got to see the CO2 that was provided. In typical Indian style it had apeared tha the cylinder had been droped onto it's valve at some stage and had its thread squashed so I had to spend some time with a file sorting it out before I could get my fill station on. Once I done that I found that the valve leaked so much that it was not possible for me to fill my 20oz tank. I would have to do with a maximum of 7 - 8oz.
We left to have a look around for a couple of hours and came back around 6:00 to get setup. By this time most of the arena and lights where done and all we had to do was move the robots onto the stage. We where setup around the stage like a game show to give the audience the best view with a camera man running around projecting images onto a big screen. An anouncer also came around and interviewed us.
People started coming in around 6:30 and by 6:45 the stands where full but it was not until about 7:00 that people stoped arriving and that we could start. Once we started it was just one fight straight after the other with only five minutes to get the robots prepared. Since my robots where the only ones with active weapons I was the favorite from the start. With Devastator flipping robots all over the place and Avenger flipping itself all over the place the crowd went crazy. But with so little time between fights and the lack of proper lighting for the pit tables problems started creaping into the robots.
Devastator lost the rubber off both its wheels and was imobilised and also snaped its bungee. Avenger had drill clutch issues but I did not have time to fix them and the bolts that hold the hammer assembly kept shifting and jamming the hammer. But despite this I did my best to put on a good show and the crowd loved them.
Afterwards there where people coming from everywhere to ask questions, get autographs and photos or just look at the robots. I can't wait to see the video.

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:01 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

You had the only active weapons??? Shocked I would have thought there would have been at least a few US spinners present Confused Congratulations on putting up a good fight and I hope they show you a great time for the rest of your stay. Has there been any word on a return performance? I'd take Sciissorhands or Chuck if I knew there were no (other) super destructive spinners going.

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:16 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Well China just shot a satellite down so India has to do something to keep up.

Starting a Robot comp sounds a good idea to me. Smile

No telling where this Robot hobby can go.

Sounds like you did a good job under difficult circumstances Andrew never disappoint an audience. Cool

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:31 pm