www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

RoboWars 4 - Jan 13 + 14 2007 - @SideTracked
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Link to one of the Lightweight round robin fights (who won that in the end?)

We didn't have the final fight in the roundrobin, but Plan G / Cobra were the only undefeated team at that point, so it seems the Sydney guys DID win something after all Very Happy

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:15 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

For some reason they wouldn’t let Maestro compete in the wacky race either. Sad

Matts taking Maestro to work to demo, that should be interesting. Smile

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am 
Travis

I was so totally impressed by RW4, the first RW Australia event I've been to. While my favourites got knocked out (yes, I'm one of these lunatics who thinks only the pretty looking robots should win) Reboot totally deserved to win what was a fantastic event.

I have a few suggestions for next time:
The big problem, from a fan viewpoint, was that the waiting between fights was too long. I know this was unavoidable, but time really did drag, particularly on Sunday. May I suggest the following?
* Setting up a projector which, between fights, can run the previous years' DVD footage, or other RW fight footage, just as something to keep our eyes on while we play the waiting game. Even more interesting: is it possible (or would it interfere electronics) to have said projector aiming at the arena floor, flashing up words like RoboWars, the event logo, sponsors, bot names, "Semi-Final", the website, etc, and then broadcasting the DVD onto the floor? (This would also advertise the DVD, which, in theory, you could sell from the venue.)
* I noticed a few kind roboteers let fans drive their bots after they'd been knocked out on the Sunday (I was one of the lucky drivers, and got to cruise around with 6x7 and Vincent on the Sunday while nobody else was in the arena). That's a great idea: a few of the bots who've been knocked out over the weekend which are still working could go into the arena and be driven by fans in almost a mini-tournament, say, four or eight bots, knockout comp decides the final two, and then they pick a winner. There's the probability that the fans wouldn't be able to cause as much damage as they don't know fully how to work it (because they're inexperienced), and not only would this fill in time, it would involve fans (who, in theory, may then pester their parents to build a bot with them), and be interesting!

Uh, that's all I've got for now.

Travis
---
SKETCHY AT BEST: 7pm AEDT Wednesday, SYN 90.7 FM Melbourne
NEW&APPROVED: 6pm AEDT Thursday, SYN 90.7 FM Melbourne
www.syn.org.au

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:25 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Nick knows how to really mess a bot up and he cant drive whatsoever ;->

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

Some very good comments there Travis Cool

Us builders try hard to keep the battles coming quick one after the other, but we are pushed as hard as we can go and the Event Organiser is too. Your suggestion of projections in the arena for the crowd to watch, to keep their interest up is a very good suggestion, and one I'm sure the rest of the community would support.

I like the idea of the losers entering a mini-tournament once knocked out, where they are driven by the crowd. Might have to limit the amount of spinners entering though, I'm sure the builders have no issues with letting the crowd drive their robots, but if they have to sustain heavy damage because of spinners, they might not be so willing... Unless your like Andrew and myself who would let anyone drive Offset & Schmackhed into a spinner because we know we won't break Laughing

Welcome to the community and I look forward to your future posts Razz

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:52 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Americans try to get one match every 10 mins, our big comps try for on every 15 and local comps in QLD 30mins (NSW seem to be one every 2 - 3 hours). This still leaves 7 mins of downtime and there is currently a lot of talk on the RFL forum on what can be done in this time. The idea (started in India between Joe and David) is to use a projector to show things like the current event tree, next match details, details of the robots in the next match, videos of the robots that will be in the next match and to use a camera to interview builders and get views of the work in the pits. They are currently looking at a program to do this that integrates with the buildersdb Event Management software.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Yes, the problem we have is that most spectators prior contact with Robot Wars has been via TV where all the boring bits can be edited out, or cut to an ad break, so their expectations of how fast the show should move along is unrealistic with what can happen in real life.

I have thought about a projector on a couple of occasions, but by the time you hire the projector, screen, a laptop, and person to sit there and drive it with DVD's, Programs, and mixing all weekend, you are talking some serious $$.

and I dont recall hearing any major Kudo's for the Super Screen at RoboWars Brisbane where this was done.. I suspect the lack of sound from the video clips they were playing takes a lot of interest away from watching them. Robot Wars without the bangs and crashes isnt as interesting.

Perhaps we should employ some of those "hawt chix" the NSW guys like to come and be dancing girls to keep people entertained ? Smile

The other thought I had is a Robot Sumo or ant/beetleweight mini arena that is suspended from the roof of the arena that can be quickly lowered to viewing height, then raised again after a bout to intersperse the combat matches with.

That way theres a whole 'nother group of builders to take the load off the combat builders - it would need more pit space though.

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Very Happy just a quick quesrtion ,was there any photos taken of the event i would like to see some of the bots that competed ???

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:03 am 
Travis

Photos of RW4

Yeah, I've got loads of the Sunday tourney, but I haven't got around to posting them anywhere. I shall put it on my to-do list.

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:15 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

The Kero's have all the matches on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=kkeerroo

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:19 pm