RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

RoboWars 4 - Jan 13 + 14 2007 - @SideTracked
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

RoboWars 4 - Jan 13 + 14 2007 - @SideTracked

The countdown has begun...

Just Under 6 Weeks to go until the masters of mechanical mayhem gather from around Australia to test their metal in the biggest gathering of malevolent machinery outside of your local armed forces base.

If you prefer seeing Real-Rivets and Spinning-Steel clash in Reality rather than limpware-Avatars and virtual-fist-fights in cyberspace, then this unique spectating experience is for you. When was the last time you had 13Kg of ballistically flying robot bounce off the inside of your monitor inches from your from face while the walls shake from the impact ?

This is the thread for discussion of transport,accomodation, event operation, trash-talking (within reason), and anything else to do with RoboWars 4.

*Update* There is now a WIKI Page for contestants to register their bots on. Go Here - http://www.robowars.org/wikka/RoboWarsEvents and enter your bot details to reserve your place. - If you dont know how to edit the Wiki, ask one of the Experienced Roboteers to do it for you.

Last edited by Spockie-Tech on Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:21 pm; edited 3 times in total

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:06 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

And just to kick things off on a nice controversial note. I recall some suggestions after RoboWars Brisbane on how the Judging Techniques could be improved - Who remembers the details ?

Any other aspects of previous RoboWars that people would like to see improved (and how) for this one ?

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
WiperMotor

Just wondering Rolling Eyes
How hard is it to setup events like this? it would be great to have a comp in sa one day to pemote the sport here Smile
Like at the adelaide show or somthing?

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:33 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Thats a whole 'nother subject.. Shocked

In brief, the biggest problem in most cases is Public Liability Insurance. If you want to invite the general public to the show, then you need it, and its not easy to get at a reasonable price just for a RoboWars event unless its a part of a bigger package (like SideTracked or The Ideas Festival in Bris). If you can get the Venue Owner or Festival Operator to cover you, things are a lot easier.

Then you need an Arena. To build a good free standing featherweight Arena similair to SideTracked's would cost between $4000-$8000 in Materials and Labour. Given the work and expense it took to truck SideTrackeds arena to Brisbane and back, I would say its probably more cost effective to build your own as part of the budget for the first state event and then you get to keep it (storage area required).

After you have an Arena and Insurance, the 2 hardest bits are out of the way, then its down to the typical event details like staff (judges, schedulers, tech inspection), security and crowd control, administration, promotion, pit areas, lighting, sound, presenters, cameras, trophies, prizes, scheduling, life-support for the public (food, toilets, parking etc) and so on.. nothing to it really.. Wink

If you want to talk more on the subject, reply here, and I'll split the relevant messages off into a new thread so we dont SideTrack Razz The RoboWars thread already.

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:50 am 
WiperMotor

Hummm I see
I might look into that,it would be great to pump up the sport in sa Very Happy

Where could I make another thred for things like this?

Last edited by WiperMotor on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:57 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I think one aspect of the Judging procedure that from some perspectives seems slightly odd is how it is possible for a bot to win even though 2 of the judges chose his opponent.

Some might argue that the reason for 3 judges is to give a nice simple unanimous or split decision assuming the judges are obliged to make a decision.

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:04 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

OK, so the Damage, Control, Agression, Style points that the judges use to decide who won (in their opinion) should not affect any decision except their own.

The inidividual judges should use those points to make their own decision, and then its just a unanimous or win-win-lose decision overall ?

Seems reasonable to me.. anyone have a problem with that ?

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:35 pm 
supagenius

What's Sidetracked's address?

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:28 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

http://www.robowars.org/wikka/SideTracked

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:41 pm 
supagenius

Thanks.

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:01 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

In NSW we dumped any scoring for 'style' as it was too hard to define and meant different things to each judge. It didn't seem to relate to comabt bots so much as the other scoring categories and since dropping it we have had less disputes and clearer judging. If you want to use style as a criteria, we need to have a clear definition that the judges can apply evenly and that the competitors can try to maximise.

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:14 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I don’t recall any discussions or comments about the Style points at Brisbane.

Personally I think dumming the judging criteria down is a bad idea.

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:39 pm 
andrew

one thing id like to bring up for this event that bothered me last event is that the time between matches/up until when your match is on is put on the whiteboard or whatever so we can all see

there were a few issues last year with main organiser (lil dude with mostache) saying that u had about 15 mins then about 2 mins later saying your up next

not having a go at anyone or whatever but yeah would be good to have a solid setup where we could see when we were meant to be on and can prepare for it and that we rnt screwed round with time etc

with style i agree, its not really needed or if it will be used somebody state a clear description of what 'style is' etc, is it how we act in the match or strategy or whatever or is it just looks and such (say i throw in some gyro dancing will that contribute to style)

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:40 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97

Nice to see 2 competitors with bots that do a lot of damage wonting to change the rules to make it harder on the people who wont to build bots that don’t. Smile

How about getting rid of the control point too. Smile

We have been over this ground before, Your back yard events don’t have to make sense to the public and put on a show and the majority of the NSW builders seem to be content with a rock scissor contest.

In Victoria we are trying to do something else.

I certainly wouldn’t interfere with the way NSW runs events, if you guys just wont to count dents that’s fine with me.

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:01 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
saying that u had about 15 mins then about 2 mins later saying your up next

well if your robot didnt go so owned that wouldnt be a probem XD

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:14 pm