www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Visceral - Team Aurora - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

ahh more work on this craptacular machine. its a relief to not worry about accuracy or alignment!

weapon motor is in. i put a bearing on the other side of the motor using a cut off prop adaptor so its now mounted solid as hell with a bearing support so it shall not move!

now to stop the drum smashing into it! im recycling the old plastic bearing holder for one side, but the other side needs to be thinner. thats the problem im having. might have to crack out some 10mm something or another and bore a hole in. we shall see..

and the power switch and controllers mounted. just need to devise some ingenious (read, ghetto) solution to the battery mounts.

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cerberus3112

drill 2 holes and tie em down with a shoestring Very Happy

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:22 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

XD that's a good idea glen, wont fracture like a zip tie! Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:23 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

shoe string is actually a damn fine idea XD i like it..

well speed controller for the weapon is in and mounted. finally works off the programmer card too. wooth! now just need to get a pair of new 470uF 50v caps to replace.

pieced one drive back together with spare parts but im down one dse 18v motor. will see if i can high tail it to the nearest dick smith through the week.

i made a polycarb guard for the weapon motor too. so ill see if i can somehow get it on there. makes removing the bolts on the weapon motor mount somewhat impossible though!

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well the brushless setup is working good. that new programmer card has made the world of difference now that i can properly set the battery voltage and cut off voltage Cool it also spins the right way up! go me!

at the moment have to mount the drum better. make a good lid for it and its ready for the next event.

Post Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:04 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well not happy with it at all Sad the rest is fine but the drum setup is still far from perfect. really it needs a total remake of the drum before it will fit in the weight and be competitive.

its already right on the limit with some serious weight removal and needs much more pracing to stop the frame splitting apart and drum falling out Crying or Very sad so i will be making a new drum with stationary shafts.. shall also have lighter end caps and thicker steel outer drum Smile

but for now visceral is morphing into 1:1 geared brushless bar spinner. all the bits are there and ready for welding. should be a bit of a blast anyway Smile having the motor sit the way it is means its much better protected than before and hopefully the setup alot stronger than it is currently.. cad soon

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:39 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
but for now visceral is morphing into 1:1 geared brushless bar spinner.

Shall we just call it Raiden Wink

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:04 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

maybe later Razz

stopped having a hissy fit about visceral anyway and finished up the weapon and got it spinning this afternoon. spins up farking fast (about a second spin up time to full speed).

i took some videos but my new sony cam is retarded and doesnt let me transfer to the computer without some insanely obscure connector?

bad news is the drum shaft i think is bent because the drum goes up and down ever so slightly. enough to make it mobile with no drives anyway! vibration drive wins XD

victors are in and new to wire them in. from now on in is just refinement. its been along time since ive been able to say that Razz

Post Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:42 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

its probably firewire.

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:07 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

some time since i touched this robot, but this weekends spate of non stop building had me in the mood to finish it off Smile

the bad vibration i found where due to a bit of shaft that was pushing the frame in and out that was causing it to shake so massively. so i welded a chunk of bisalloy strip across the bottom which has cut out a fair bit of it. but it still vibrates alot. that galv pipe on the drum is pretty chunked apart anyway Razz

victors are wired into the motors and the main power is wired up and all that jazz. meaning all the remains is to mount the battery and then make some form of lid for it and we can call that build doone.

gave it a drive around too. still pretty zippy. shame the 18v motors such so bad Mad

Post Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:39 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hehe made a bodge battery mount out of a fabric strap and a buckle. just cut it to size melted the ends down then sewed it at hte right length. seems to fit well! we shall see how that goes

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:20 pm 
cerberus3112

Laughing "Fabric Strap" sounds like a shoestring

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:40 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

blergh what a tragic day agian XD. predictably the live axle came back to bite me in the ass with the bearing exploding and letting the drum fall out once more, smashing my brushless. 4 dead brushlesses isnt a bad record, do i get a trophy! Laughing

But anyway time to make it something half decent. the victors where small but frustratingly annoying to wire up with the two power wires per board, the BEC and mixer for it and all that other stuff. i kept having electrical gremlins too that would turn the robot off everytime it hit something on the drive. then it would turn back on Confused but alas,

bought a scorpion XXL tonight anyway. heard good things of it and the tiny size is really what i need right now. plus it seems to do all the on board mixing and such and BEC function which is fine by me.

and as for the motor well no more outrunners for the time being Surprised cheap outrunners just arent for robot combat at this time. the magnets just move too much even before they get directly smashed Razz so i bought the biggest 700kv inrunner on united hobbies. hopefully this will allow much stronger motor mounts and also lets me run the drum at full power again ~ 7700rpm.

as for the drum no more crappy live axle. im going out to edcon to pick up the new drum Smile should be the same dimensions but with a stationary shaft to brace the frame and stop instant weapon death.

hopefully can cut down the frame a little too with the smaller weapon motor and speed controller. but anyway will work on it Razz

Post Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:06 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

woohoo, my new motor came Surprised i put it in the old base quickly and spun her up, spin up is up to about 3 seconds but JEEESUZ there will be some pain this time Laughing

(no my hands arent really that white XD... i think >_>)

looks good quality, very small diameter which is great for this design too. will make the mounts for it on the weekend as well as head out to buttsworth for some more aluminium for phailbots baseplate and viscerals as both are bent.

also got a trip to edcon pencilled in for tommorow morning too, so i will grab some pipe for visceral and the plates for endcaps as well as the shaft for the new dead shaft drum. it should have the same rotating mass but ditch 500g-1kg in useless weight.

hoping the scorpion rocks up next week as well. so that should be great for neatening the wiring up.

all in all i hope the setup should be alot lighter, stronger and pack tons more punch Smile full steam ahead for robowars anyway

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:36 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

If motor size is anything to go by, that will be awesome.

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:36 pm