Own this Playstation 3 and earn it!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

Own this Playstation 3 and earn it!

Something a few of you might find interesting/funny... Smile

http://ps3.shimpinomori.net/index_en.html

Basically, hack the PS3 that runs that website, meeting the challenge requirements and the guy will post it to you....

And if you don't like PS3, you can just turn it into a PS3 Grill...

http://therealps3grill.com/therealps3grill!_000003.htm

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:36 pm 
seanet1310

lol i personaly would not have thought the ps3 was hard to hack will be interesting to follow

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The PS3 is a box of hardware. What has to be cracked (and *is* hard to crack) is the up-to-date Linux operating system that it is running.

Pretty standard "how to get lots of security testing for next to nothing" trick.. "Here, find any weaknesses in this system and we'll give you <Item X> for free".

Of course, Item X is usually worth far less than the many hours of hacker-time that the security researcher gets the benefit of.

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cerberus3112

Daaaam thats wierd i thought al those hackers could beat the ps3
Confused

Post Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:21 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Does anyone actually want a PS3? There are reports that, even with the very low numbers of PS3s being shipped, they are still sitting on shelves.

"Nintendo blew away the competition in February gaming console sales, according to an NPD report. The company sold 485,000 DS units and 335,000 Wii consoles in the month. Meanwhile, Microsoft's Xbox 360 sold 228,000 units, while Sony continued to struggle as its PlayStation 3 lagged with only 127,000 units sold," http://www.technewsworld.com/story/S3f03ReFJiuyrM/Nintendo-Still-the-One.xhtml

Maybe they should offer something more desirable than a PS3. An empty coke can perhaps.

Post Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:36 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

It doesn't offer anything new or revolutionary. The wii had the G force controler.. What does the PS3 do that sets it above the rest?
They should dedicate more funds into virtual reality. Cool Then I'd actualy bother buying one of their products!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:00 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

the 8 cell processors could kick some serious ass when programmers work out how to use it.
Xbox has 3x Xeons as i recall.

i want my 32core AMD box

i want a 32 core intel core2 box to be available
(blade servers don't count, SMP and preferably with symetrical access to ram.)

I want Intel to use Hyper Transport and for video cards to be plugged directaly in as they should be.

I want somebody to push massive FPGA chips as HT plug in cards so each game can run its physics (and whatever else works) engines in hardware.
Now *that* would make a difference, and a serious one at that. If the designers are smart enough you could increase game performance by just adding more FPGA's and shifting more processing into hardware.

Post Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Wazio88

I love my PS3!!!! Smile

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

[quote]I want Intel to use Hyper Transport and for video cards to be plugged directaly in as they should be. [/quote]

Intel bring Common Serial Interface (CSI) into the upcoming Nehalem core at the end of 2008/early 2009.

AMD is working on Torrenza, which allows external devices to plug directly into the HT channels of the processor... Ie: Video car links directly to the processor and ram via HT. They are also looking at Fusion by 2009 which is CPU with GPU cores built into one module. Probably running DDR3 on the AM2+/AM3 plateform.

The Ageia PCI Physics card kinda sucked.... I hear games like Alan Wake 2007 will use multicore more effectively, using a quad core, it will assign one core to system work, one core to the game, one core to the game physics and the last core to game ai... Should be pretty interesting if they can pull it off....

[quote]the 8 cell processors could kick some serious ass when programmers work out how to use it. [/quote]

Yeah, extremely good floating point, but the yield rates are less then 40% at 90nm (IIRC) which makes them expensive, they run hot and they are a pain to program. It's been nearly 5 years since AMD brought out 64bit to the public, yet very little software takes advantage of it right now.... So getting programmers to shift to learning something like the Cell is gonna be hell Laughing

[quote]
i want my 32core AMD box

i want a 32 core intel core2 box to be available [/quote]

AMD is slow on getting their quad core barcelona core out.... So you'll have to settle for 16 cores... Intel has 4P systems that can handle 4 x Clovertown quad cores... So you could get a 32 core system that way. Shame about the FB ram though, its kinda behind DDR2 at this moment, maybe when they polish it off a bit more.

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:56 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

PS3 = crap Laughing

A $1000 console that is 1020 HD format hardware wise, most of the games are 540 HD format and most people can only afford 540 or 720 HD format TV's Laughing A PS3 is just like Vista, expensive and fulla shit you don't need.... It's not even a gaming console anymore, it's a media centre, which is what computers are better at. A $1000 pc these days rocks pretty hardcore and the games are much better. PS3 = failure to me Razz Their sales prove it....

The Wii is pretty funky, and gives a new twist to gaming, has also become a great platform for people to hack the hardware, using the bluetooth controller on the PC, some people even using them for RC controllers!

X360, well microsoft got in early with a 1 year head start and it's paying off for them. but there was a shit load of problems with the units when they came out... look on youtube for the Xbawks360 "DVD" engraver.... FAIL!

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:02 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

And just for you Jake:

Pic Cluster Computer!

http://cogsci.mcmaster.ca/~peter/piccluster.html

Pretty funky!

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:05 am 
Wazio88

Welp, for people such as myself who don’t know that much about computers and even more so, don’t really care that much about them the PS3 is a good high quality option; it looks great on the plasma downstairs (and any other TV I have hooked it up to) and keeps me and my friends entertained for hours at a time, computers may be better but it boils down to personal preference. To YOU and some others the PS3 is crap but to the majority of others it is hardly that. Here in Vegas people are still on waiting lists to get one. Friends crowing around a computer looking at a screen doesn’t sound hardly as fun as people on the sofa, love sack and scattered about the floor playing games. Also I am able to play just about every game I have, which at this point from a PS1 and PS2 is a lot o freeking games! And PS3 also has motion controls just like the Wii... So, it sucks… To you and the minority or others; to me and the majority of others it’s awesome. Have you even gotten to play one? A full game, not just a demo? Do you or one of your friends have one? If so then cool, but when you pass judgment on and talk about things without personal experience you put your self at risk of being a Jr. Real life experience is a lot more valuable than reading about something on the computer or hearing about it from another person.

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:15 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ali

Did Aaron Just get Zinged !?!?!?!

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:46 am 
cerberus3112

I agree with tdt ps3 = crap hmm should i waste $1000+ on something that my pc infront of me can do already i would rather blow $1000 (if i had it) on something else like uping my laptop or on my bot

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:35 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Yes, I have played a PS3. I had a go at one in the EB Games stores. I played Need For Speed: Carbon, a game I have played on X360, PC and now PS3. To me, the game had the same visual and audio quality of the Xbox360, when compared to my PC, I found no difference at stock resolution. With the PC I increased it up to 1280 x 960 before my GFX card started to lag a bit here and there (Probably the Anti-Ailiasing). So I could have bought a $500 Xbox360 to play NFS Carbon for the same visual and audio experience or just played it on my $1200, 2 year old computer, which pisses it in just the same, and only slows down when I exceed the resolution of both PS3 and Xbox...

Now, maybe I shouldn't have just plainly said the PS3 was crap Razz But from the perspective of gamer who has lived on both Console and PC, PS3 really disappointed me, I was expecting some good things from Sony, especially after the awesomeness that was the PS2. Now, to cover some of your other comments, PC's plug up to TV's just as quick as a PS3 these days. I frequently use mine to watch Bot videos, DVD's and for the odd game. PS3 rushed in with a motion controller after Nintendo demo'd theirs 6 months before at E3... And AFAIK, there haven't been any games released that take advantage of such a device (If you can correct me and show me a game, I'll be interested in chasing up some reviews for it).

One of the things that pisses me off the most about Sony right now is their utter lack of respect for the consumer. The outragous prices followed by the lack of supply for a demand they knew was there. It seems the new generation of consoles means more about emptying your wallet and getting shit all for it.... Only Nintendo have managed to keep at a sane price level, but they are lacking some of the high quality games like DOA and Gran Turismo. Where they are branching is a new direction, which we'll eventually see whether it's the right direction... So far it's looking good for them sales wise, out numbering the PS3 3:1 in sales, but still miles behind X360

Everyone has their own preference and opinion as you said, this is just mine from the perspective of a gamer, who seeks value for his money. LOL @ the JR comment, Swayzio, when you dump all your gas out of your pneumatics onto the arena floor, you'll make a fire hazard!!!!!!!11111ELEVENTEEN!!! Laughing

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:43 am