Mandriva Linux 2007
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Mandriva Linux 2007

Mmm. 3D Desktop's.. Eye Candy Plus.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mandriva&search=Search

Poor Microsoft, Their next load of DRM'ed bloatware isnt even out yet, will require you to have a computer less than 2 weeks old to run their "Aero" interface, is going to be full of "please submit 8 forms of proof you bought this Windows or we're going to switch it off for you", and all the Linux guys are already tinkering with 3D desktops that kick theirs into next week.

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Looks quiet nice. I wonder if they have boosted their efforts in GFX drivers with Mandriva, I had a major PITA with getting the video drivers in Mandriva 10.1 to work with my Nvidia 6600GT. Being a Linux newb, it was rather frustrating and a total put off to getting into Linux... So I just went back to Windoze where everything, just works. I had a lot more fun playing with Feather Linux (another Knoppix build) on the AMD K6 and found it was a lot easier to get into. Someday my brain will be able to understand the complexity that is Linux.

But for thos who don't care what they use, here's some good comparisons on PC, MAC & Linux Wink

http://tv.truenuff.com/mac/performance.php
http://tv.truenuff.com/mac/gaming.php
http://tv.truenuff.com/mac/networking.php
http://tv.truenuff.com/mac/portability.php
http://tv.truenuff.com/mac/upgrading.php
http://tv.truenuff.com/mac/security.php

EDIT:

After a bit of research... This is looking quite nice! The Cedega gaming engine suits my gaming needs and it comes with VMWare as well, which means I can VM Windoze XP/Vista beta and run Rhino3D and some of my Windoze exclusive software that doesn't run in Linux... Will also get around to VM'ing my apache server again...

I think the Mandriva 2007 PowerPack is pretty good value for AUD$125... Guess what I'm getting for me B'day Cool Might be time I bought that Opteron 165 too... A second core will help with the extra VM load Cool

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:21 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

i use ubuntu
nvidia drivers are an apt-get away.

XGL is a bit more involved but not hard.
some apps have some issues with it though, or did last time i tried it.
mainly totem (movie player)

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Valen:

XGL is a bit more involved but not hard.
some apps have some issues with it though, or did last time i tried it.
mainly totem (movie player)

I had a lot of issues with Totem back in Mandriva 9. Required a lot of repeated XKill, reopen, XKill, before it would open and run the video I wanted.

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:51 am 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Just use xine or mplayer . . . much more mature players . . . or simply use the xine backend for totem if you still wanna use it.

Never really liked mandrake / mandriver myself (I prefer RHEL / Fedora, or gentoo if you need something slick) . . . always seemed to be missing something, installing apps from source was a pain, since even with a full intall it was missing lots of stuff . . . mind you this was before the widespread use of yum / apt-get, which make life a lot easier in regards to solving deps.

ffej.net

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

i have totem gxine xine mplayer gstreamer and a whole bunch of other crap.
doing stuff without apt would just be nuts.

the only thing i use from source is my email server, and thats because i'm tracking the development tree.
still building that on a new system is a case of apt-get build essential, svn checkout blahrg, ./autoconf make install
w00t

i installed hylafax the other day, took about 2 minutes including download time ;-> (then 30 to set the flippin thing up but hey)

Post Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
leo-rcc

apt-get in (k)ubuntu is a nice Debian tool. love it a lot.

But i cant seem to get a descent plugin installed to play windows media files. I always end up with errors no matter what i try.

Post Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:54 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

read the "restrictedformats" stuff on ubuntu wiki

Post Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:20 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

My copy of Mandriva 2007 PowerPack arrives in the mail next week Cool I'm preparing for the mass Windows -> Linux conversion... Followed by the massive "ARGH! I don't understand what apt means... What's a foo? Is that da nu rapz j0?" sessions Rolling Eyes

Goodbye Windoze, you've served me well...

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:52 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I've got it running on one of my Boxen.. Its looking good so far.

I'm now figuring out how to get the software Raid-5 support going. I want to be able to expand my file servers storage without having to repartition, create new drives, shares etc.

Now if we can just come up with a decent replacement for Outlook (for Business).. thats the last pin holding Windows in place in a lot of places IMO.

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Ximian Evolution (now owned by Novell) Shats all over it imo.

ffej.net

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

i have raid-5 on my ubuntu file server.
use the "alternate install cd" and setup software raid its pretty simple really, i only did it 5 times ;->.
i boot off a usb flash disk (grub cant read raid5 partitions) formatted ext2.
if i did it over again I'd probably make the system and storage onto seperate drives but i wanted to trial it mainly for system reliability. I have also got a software raid 1 on a client site that i have tested in fault conditions lol. IE a hdd blew up with smoke out (which i thaught was special) pulled the 40gb drive, stuck a new one in, booted all good.
copied the partition table from the good drive and added the partitions to the raid array, about 40 minutes - an hour later the system was at 100% again.

the raid copying on my 920gb array at home (3x360gb drives) took a touch longer lol

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:06 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
setup software raid its pretty simple really, i only did it 5 times ;->.

Sounds like my first installation of Mandrake 8.... It only took me 4-5 installs till I worked out what I actually need to do to make it work...

Feather Linux was easy on the other hand... Such a nice little too, just a bit of custom optimation and it's a nifty ++ package with some power behind it... I can see moving to Linux being an interesting experience... As long as I can batch, I'll be happy Laughing

Lifes a batch and then you fly!

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:12 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

what threw me was when you setup the raid it sets it up as a master with an inactive disk then adds the other disk to the array, (for mode 1) and i was having trouble understanding that.
once i was ok with that all was well lol.
(basically just had to learn to trust it knew what it was doing.)

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:58 pm 
WiperMotor

Trying out Linux

Well I didn't want to start a new post so I thought I'd put it here Wink

I was looking into trying out linux on my computer (dual booting with windows) but I can't figure out witch one to use Confused ??

I wanted to try out the one Spockie-Tech was talking about but I was also interested in trying out Red Hat on my old Netfinity server, I can't decide Shocked

I was going to try out Vista but that needed somthing like 512MB ram and a 2.0GHZ prossesor (somthing along those lines Shocked ) even before you start to bog it up with programs.

Would Mandriva be a decent one to try out??

Tanks

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:45 pm