RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Eleanor - Team Ellis - QLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Author    Thread
WiperMotor

Thanks Smile

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:39 pm 
assassin

I'm having trouble getting Eleanor to drive straight and correct. I'm seriously considering modding the motors to be neutral timed. Before I do that I will keep playing with settings for the Gyro to try and correct issues.

I was going to put together another batt pack tonight, but the troubles with driving have lead to me needing a bit of a break from bot building 4 the night.

Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:50 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

if i can get cobra to go straight with 2 wheels you should be able to do it with 4 lol..

firstly you probably havent got the gain set right. do that on the remote side of things. if its constantly rocking back and forth its too much gain. not correcting at all not enough gain.

then you can move onto the limit dial on the gyro. this limits how much correction it applies. if its not keeping it straight youll need more.

the delay should be turned all the way down to 0 in every situation for robots i think.

it may be worth calibrating the victors again too. i accidentally didnt center the wheel on my radio when i calibrated mine and would constantly crawl to one side.

get a video too. id be interested to see if it is the setup or that you just havent grasped how insanley difficult it is to drive 13kg with 2hp Razz

Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
assassin

Santa gave me a new digi camera, so pics and vids should look better now Laughing .

Made Eleanor a second batt pack today and thats all shes gettn, two should be enough.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e275/trentellis/IMG_0024.jpg

For anyone who is interested my first pack has been going flawlessly. Its been keeping balanced, but I have been slow charging it every 5 cycles with about 500ma, which keeps voltages very tidy.
I'm using a Triton and a Lipodaptor, and when fast charged @ 5A(max of charger not the batts) it will charge in 38mins.
The packs get a little warm and run time is about 5 mins. The Lipodaptor charges to about 85-90% of the batt capacity, and I can enter 'goose mode' with it and charge the cells extra if needed.

Eleanors pneumatics should be finalized this week. I've have had a lot of troubles with leaks, much work has been done and I'm just waiting on a connector now.

Also Eleanor may need to go on a bit of a diet(overweight), I will know for sure after I build up the courage to go to the supermarket and measure her Laughing

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:32 pm 
andrew

ha ha, ditto to supermarket weighing, gotta love the fruit section, what i do is put the robot (or pile of parts/whatever) in a garbage bag or something just so it doesnt draw attention and nobody usually thinks too much of it. Like u im dreading weighing the bot which will be in a week or so as i havnt yet and if it comes in massive overweight im screwed for robowars but done many calculations and should be ok.. i hope

nobody even came over when i weighed pile of parts ages back and a metal plate fell out clanging loudly on the floor so u should be aright

just dont forget to write on your hand or whatever how much everything weighs

good to hear those battery packs r going so well for u, if they stay proven in battle conditions etc after robowars may others will be getting some i believe Razz

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:56 pm 
assassin

I finally got a half decent test of the pneumatics with the bot. Result was not enough flow, not a surprise really. I was pushing/testing the limits of my design and I believe the limited size buffer tank and the extra bends in the piping have reduced the flow to level below where I need them. I think I need about 20% extra flow from this.

As you can see in the picture below the buffer tank is a lot smaller than the original testing one and there is also a lot more bends in the tubing reducing flow.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e275/trentellis/IMG_0042.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e275/trentellis/IMG_0043.jpg

Solution: I don't know yet(darn cricket keeps using my time Very Happy ). There is room to extend the buffer tank, longer through the white nylon bearing mount over the timing belt. This wouldn't be enough thou, the buffer needs to be a larger diameter. To use a larger tube as a buffer, I don't have the room to use the standard end caps. A fancy way of sealing the tube ends would be needed that didn't increase the OD(This was discussed in an earlier post). I also need to do some math on the bends in the tubing(all the 90deg connectors) and workout the flow there.

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:00 pm 
assassin

Haydon & Symon's seem to be doing well without me, so I switched on the brain and came up with a solution(all thou TV is in the workshop now Smile )

The beefy 25mm Class 18 end caps will fit tightly inside the 32mm tube. A bit of roughing up and some epoxy should work well. Very Happy

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:41 pm 
assassin

One end is done.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e275/trentellis/IMG_0047.jpg

I need to get another end cap tomorrow.

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:56 pm 
assassin

The new buffer went well but not well enough, so now I really need to do the math on the pipes and connectors. Solutions would be increase the diameter of the pipes to increase flow and also enlarge the buffer tank. Both can be done, but I want to learn the math first.

Eleanors first outing is tomorrow and if she ends up like this http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e275/trentellis/IMG_0057.jpg (upside down) there will be no coming back without the pneumatics. It will keep things a little simpler for me tomorrow anyway.

Now to work out flow of pipes and there bends/connectors.....

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:58 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

That bot is one nice piece of work! Very well finished. I hope it puts all other wedge's to shame! Smile
EDIT: and you're exploration of home made pneumatic systems is very funky. Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:44 pm 
Woody

Trent

Can you push your pressure up? ....... An easy solution IF you can.

As a possible solution to your space problems .....why not have 2 buffer tanks one on each inlet? .....i.e. 2 small ones rather than one big one.

quote:
so now I really need to do the math on the pipes and connectors. Solutions would be increase the diameter of the pipes to increase flow and also enlarge the buffer tank. Both can be done, but I want to learn the math first.

. You'll wish you'd never said that ...... Smile

"The actual CV you get from all your components is the square root of the inverse of the sum of the squares of the inverses of all your individual CV's."

Cheers Woody

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
assassin

Laughing Good one Woody, I have read that line your website. I just what to work out the CV the tubes/pipes and its connectors.

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:39 pm 
assassin

thx dyrodium, but it's not finished yet Very Happy .

Maybe a smaller buddy buffer tank could be done.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e275/trentellis/IMG_0059.jpg

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:02 pm 
Woody

Hi Trent,

Here's a link to an excellent site ...... there's also a neat spreadsheet to download.....

http://ranteng.com/pneumatic_sizing.htm

The rest of his site is worth a browse.

Any questions and I'll try to help.

Alan

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:46 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Elenor = Shocked

Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:49 pm