www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Eleanor - Team Ellis - QLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I remember when you first started asking all those pneumatic questions, it's rare to see someone like that actualy come through with a finished product, a really nice one at that! Smile Hey, you could probably use that to flip robots too that go up your wedge... Twisted Evil

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:58 pm 
assassin

Well Eleanor did alright I guess. hehehe

Its an understatement to say I learned a lot from this event(Robowars 4). I had some issues with her on day one which surprises me, but with hard work & testing in between rounds and a light sequel(1 or 2 fights only) I got though the day without any losses. Because of a bye in the first round, my first fight was against Aaron. I knew we would meet @ some point and hoped it would be in the later rounds because his bot was the one I would have the most troubles beating. Also I wanted to use everything I had to beat him, but there was a lot of fights still to go and I had one loss still if I needed it. He was winning, then hes wheel broke and I would have just won on the points. Day two first fight Reboot, if I could beat Reboot It would have felt real good and set me up for a great positive day. I was winning the fight until basically I lost power. My lack of shock-mounting the batt and this time only forgetting to install the foam with the batt AND of coarse great hits from Reboots drum caused my batt pack to fail(haven't looked @ it yet, just a loose connection I'm guessing). I love finding weaknesses in my bot, but this time it was @ the expense of a batt pack leaving me with only one for the rest of the day. Well done Reboot! This wasn't a problem early on, but later I think my last 3 or 4 fights were all 30 mins apart! It takes me 40mins for a full charge and the pack comes out red hot after a hard battle! This power issue set the theme of power conservation for the rest of the arvo in my fights. Thanks to Late and Orbit(what great machines, I wish I had time to come and have a good look @ them) for entertaining matches and thankfully quick ones. Spyder forfeited too. Next was Aaron again, he was working on the same table with me but I kept my batt problems to myself and it didn't matter anyway cause I had full charge. Things were getting to me a bit and I drove worse than last time and he was winning, then his wheel broke again and I 'just' won on points again. This is where the power problems really began, I had 30 mins before Battling Vincent and of coarse the batts were hot from the battle. I had no choice but to start charging straight away, and get as much back in them as I could. I got about 80% back in, that I wanted for the battle with Vincent. Thanks to Vincents builder/owner/driver we didn't get a chance to chat, you have some good hardware in Vincent which I know you are sharing with us which is great thank you. Also you had a great run in the event and I'm sorry to stop that but I guess someone had to win. The fight with Vincent completely emptied the batt pack and it was hot, but with only 30 mins to go till the next fight it was straight back on the charger! The final Reboot vs Eleanor. I removed all the pneumatics, Reboot did its best in the first fight to flip me over but didn't come close. Zip tied the Dewalt brush mounts, added extra padding for the batt(cardboard from the tables). I got about 75% charge back in the batt for what I thought I needed to beat Reboot, so it was going to be a close match. And it was I believe I lost by one point, I needed to know how much time I had left during the battle I did ask but I may have only had Victorians around me @ that point(hehe). They did know when it was 10 seconds to go thou(maybe the timing lights or something) and I stepped it up then, but of coarse it was to late. I know my bot pretty well and if I had used more power than what I did I would have been sitting there left with no power, and seeing Reboot took out the batt pack in the first fight I think it's all fair Smile. So congratulations on your win.

Build of Eleanor International will commence soon after a short break.

Thanks to all Builders, Judges, Sidetracked and the EO Brett.

Final: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfRgk4n1GZ4

Last edited by assassin on Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:40 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Your lucky I let you win twice Laughing

Grudge Wink

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:01 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Yes bad luck there, you did very well.
Wished I never had to forfeit from our match but am pretty sure you would have had me.
Not knowing how much time is left in a match is a bit of a pain. Does the spectrum have a counter?. I think we need a timer for the drivers to see, stuff the audience i reckon and use the clock for the drivers instead.
Congrats on your performance.

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:01 pm 
assassin

quote:
Originally posted by TDT:
Your lucky I let you win twice Laughing

Grudge Wink

No probs @ all mate, but it will have to be with the new version.

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:10 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Yeah, that's fine. Schmackhed v0.2 should be a little more punchy with a decent set of motors in it, so it will make it fair Wink

Still think you'll be able to out wedge me? Cool

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:14 pm 
assassin

quote:
Originally posted by TDT:

Still think you'll be able to out wedge me? Cool

There both wedges and I will always win. So yes I will out wedge you. Lets just wait and see.

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:19 pm 
assassin

Mild steel is just so old school. Very Happy

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:56 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Farm Steel + 1 Cool

Gotta love all those dints in the front of your wedge purely from Schmackhed Cool

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:18 pm 
assassin

Still think I didn't cause that wheel to fall off Aaron?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWYs_dArr2Y

I believe your wheels are exposed to spinners and hard hitting bots like mine. You know you can fix that! Very Happy

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:22 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

That's quite debateable Trent. Looking in video, the drive side does cop a fair hit from your pokey ram, but look at the way the left hand screw was sheered off in the drill shaft, it was done under torque loads. My theory so far is that the left hand screw loosened off a few threads and when I changed drive direction, this allow the wheels to screw a few threads against it and the torque just snapped the cheapie chinese screw.

I actually like the exposed wheels to be honest, and will be running them in the next robot too. As you can see several times in that video, I was able to be wedged, then drive straight off before you can push me anywhere. Elanor on the other hand, lift any corner of her and she loses all drive and gets dominated by the opponent.

I was really excited when I first saw Elanor, you'd put soo much thought and design into the bot and it was magical when you first battled out here at Kilkivan. But I was even more suprised when my adhoc built piece of farm steel with cheapie drills continously took you head on and wedged and controlled your bot Razz It was a good reminder that spending a lot of money and designing everything to near perfecture doesn't always prove more effective.

Thanks for letting me take over your build thread, feel free to join in my thread on some more heated "Boring Wedge" debates Wink

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:29 pm 
assassin

You may have misunderstood.

I didn't think my ram(pneumatic) did any damage. I believed the hard rams to your wheels onto the arena walls may have done damage. Also I do agree the exposed wheels are the go with your design, just maybe look @ your axle strength. I had heaps of trouble with your bot and others slipping off my wedge, I don't know if I even got one good slam during the whole event. Hats off to the drivers, you all tried your very best and also in the pits.

You had the better wedge tip, thats why you were more effective. This will be corrected in my next build.

And remember no wins until you get the Mill Wink

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:21 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Gotta get the shipping container before I get the mill Wink

Actually, I'll speak to you in private about the wedge differences.... Don't want to bore any more people by explaining possible ways to improve a wedge Laughing

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:57 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

ah yes beat many people you did aaron. but still. your robot is slower than a wet week XD. i think eleanor needs some forks on top, things still jump over it even at that height.

btw trent reckon you could send me the solidworks file for it? im still learning half of this sw stuff lol

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

How about a special filler event for wedges, start from the starting squares, run the tree down, box rush each other, one who gets under and slams his opponent into wall wins. Smile

Really find who has the lowest wedge.

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:06 pm