www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

marayong arena
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

Almost all of the shed has double walls; 30mm mdf, 120mm gap, 20mm chipboard before hitting the shed wall. An accident is not impossible but we have done as much as we can afford for the moment.

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:28 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

The spinners should throw themselves off the 30mm MDF when they hit, regardless of if they put big holes in it.

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:25 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Unless they get too deeply buried - Annhilation needs to watch out for that. Most saws get buried and stick and thats my big hope for Inspector General and the others - lure / push them into the MDF and attack from the back.

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:32 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

mm iff our spinner doesnt break ican see sawdust flying every where with Anhilation lol

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:46 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

yeah sorry bout the lateness i slept in till midday and sorry bout the early leaving but if it makes you feal better i was being beaten up by likkle kiddys all night lol Confused

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:32 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

compeditors will be no closer than a metre or so from the arena wall ,there is a concrete path that runs parrallel to the shed and teams are on the other side of that .. danger proof i assure you .......cheers sarge Very Happy

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:41 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

some time in the not too distant future we will be pulling down a sleeper wall. we have no use for them after that so if sombody has a trailer to take them from paramatta out to nicks we can use them around the base of the arena. (if they havent rotted too bad) they are around 8ft long hardwood railway sleepers, i think that would be up to a heavyweight round or two ;->

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That's very generous, Jake. Its up to Jeff of course, but I don't mind carting them in my van if Jeff wants em'.

I read on several US sites that bots frequently got stuck under sleepers - between Chris and I we could probably flatten out one side so that is not a problem. Alternatively, Chris is storing up parts for a bigger & better arena and might want them for the future...

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:14 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I'd like to see the Arena's have a few mods to prevent the "stuck under edge" problem that happened so often at Marayong..

I dont know about other people's bots, but I know personally that little problem took out Inspector General, Scoopy Doo and Ballistic in seperate fights. probably some others IIRC. A lot of bots probably came close to getting wiped out by that too, but just managed to get free in time.

I know its not an easy problem to solve, since it requires an edge all around that is flush with the floor, but I'll see if I can come up with a way to help stop that for the next RoboWars event. It would be good to see other Arena's have a go too rather than making the problem worse with things like Sleepers around the edges.

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

angle aluminium is cheap (I bought over 6m of it for about $12) and could be screwed onto the MDF at floor level.

A lot of it would probably get beaten up over time, but it's easy enough to replace.

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

yes, but then you go under the edge of the aluminium.. Confused

unless you had a really fine tapered edge and some weight holding it down, but then as you said the edges would probably get beaten up easily.

having floor plates that go *over* the edge angles is the only idea I can think of at the moment.

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

the way I was thinking of installing it would be to hold it down tightly against the floor while screwing it into the MDF, so there's no gap under it at all.

Of course there'll be times when bots get under, but it should be a lot more difficult - and they should pull out much easier because of the lower friction surface.
It'd also be possible to grind a bit of a taper into the edge before installing it, so it's almost impossible to get under it.

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

nah it wont hold down on the concrete with just mdf behind it,
putting angle steel on the bottom of the sleepers *may* help to stop it but i doubt it,
i cant think of anything really that would work to stop that, some form of chemical goup is about all i can come up with.

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

could always fibreglass the bottom edge of the wall.
it does make it kind of permanent though!

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:13 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The way the US guys do it is to have a raised floor, which might be just sheets of MDF, steel etc, laid inside the barrier. That way the crack between the floor and the barrier is vertical and not a problem. The cost would be pretty huge though, even for MDF or chipboard.

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:43 am