RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

Soda Stream Flippers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Author    Thread
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Rotwang:
I don’t think I totally trust Matt to take his finger off the button in the heat of battle. Smile

Hehe, well that is a problem, but on Stealth you have to turn off the drives to fire the flipper, so you kinda don't end up sitting on the fire button Smile
Turning off the drives saves the gearboxes nicely, but it was a by product of the controller I used.

quote:
I would be thinking of it driving a changeover relay so the vent valve is powered up as soon as the bot is turned on.

That's exactly how I did it, but there's another limit switch that turns the vent solenoid off when the ram's fully retracted, which is just to save a bit of power when it's sitting still. If the ram extends for any reason without the fire button being pressed, the vent solenoid opens.

The other nice thing about the manual control is that you can hold the flipper up if you need to.
Holding the button down will fire the ram to full extension (limit switch turns off the gas, but the vent solenoid stays closed until you release the fire button) and it'll sit at the level of the exhaust ports.

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by DumHed:

The other nice thing about the manual control is that you can hold the flipper up if you need to.
Holding the button down will fire the ram to full extension (limit switch turns off the gas, but the vent solenoid stays closed until you release the fire button) and it'll sit at the level of the exhaust ports.

Sold yes holding his opponents up were one of Ballistics signature moves, Ok don’t worry about timer circuits we will go with the 75% sensor. By the way Ballistic for those that don’t know had 2 cheap compressors and an old fire extinguisher as a reservoir with a Norgren ram. Low-pressure air system.

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=436

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:43 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

yeah the Ballistic system certainly seemed to work very well.
I think the SodaStream setup could be a nice way to increase performance and give much more "rapid fire" capability (which is probably the best thing about Stealth)

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Yes the pressure dropped quickly in Ballistic in rapid-fire situations and weight issues resulted in only one 10 or 11-cell 2.4-amp battery pack powering the drive and the compressors.
The hot melt glue was melting after a lot of his fights. Smile

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:25 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Is anyone going to try to set out the wording for the rules covering the modified rams?

This is how the FRA deals with this type of situation.

Custom made components, or an parts operating above the suppliers max working pressure, must be independently tested and certified at 120% of the maximum system pressure available at that point.

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:28 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

If we are using the Soda stream PRD the ram is going to be operating on only a maximum of 100PSI.
Drilling round holes in the ram to vent the gas IMHO wont make it explode, Quite the opposite it will let the gas out so it has no pressure in it as in ambient pressure.

If it will make you feel better about it I am sure we can pressure test them. 120 PSI coming right up. Smile

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:40 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I think that would be a good safe gaurd against the inexperienced builder drilling too bigger holes which would weaken the ram to an extend where the ram could fail. You could imagine the impact on our sport if some young fellow shoots a ram end through his chest while playing with his robot in the garage.

Independant certification of modified rams would be a good way to protect the interests of builders, spectators and EOs.

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:57 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Just so you don’t get the wrong Idea Philip I didn’t mean to give the impression that Robowars or anyone else is going to accept soda stream systems now or at any time in the future, Ajax is trying to get a soda stream machine so he can have a good look at one and he is the one who has Brett’s confidence.

As things stand at the moment I don’t know whether my advice on anything will be welcome but for my own information I am spending time and money researching the situation.

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:59 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Given my inexperience with Pneumatics, I'm just watching the back and forth of discussion to see when/if a consensus is arrived at.

Personaly, I'm of the opinion that in most cases, it is the builders themselves who should have technical requirements applied to them, rather than the bots, since a technical rulebook assumes that the person who wrote the rules knows more about it than the person building the bot does, which isnt always the case.

No amount of technical rules is going to make a bot built by an idiot safe, and a lot of clever builders will often push the edges of rules in a fairly safe fashion.

However, the rules are there to keep people happy that the playing field is level, and to keep the paper-pushers (insurance companies, venue owners etc) happy that there are some rules.

So, you guys who have strong opinions on how it should be argue out a set of rules, get someone other than me to ok it (since I dont consider myself qualified to do so), and as long as it looks to the paperpushers that its all "by the book", I'm happy too.

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

thing is who is going to modify their gear then get it tested without testing it themselves first?

so saying it needs to be tested wont really stop the "machine down the bottle to save weight" level of stupidity.

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Woody

quote:
Is anyone going to try to set out the wording for the rules covering the modified rams?

Well .....Here's a suggestion for the vent holes.

Limit the percentage strength lost by drilling the vent holes to 10% of the bore circumference.

I.E. 25mm bore ... 25mm x 3.14 = 78.5mm 10% is 7.85mm ..so I'd say 8 off equispaced 1mm dia holes...... or 4 off 2mm dia holes.

In terms of vent area the 4 off 2mm holes is better for the builder but the percentage of material lost from the circumferential distance is the same.

I know that it doesn't really apply to rams with tie rods .....but keep it simple ....apply the same rule to any ram.

It's just an idea ...shoot it down!

Woody

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

keep in mind its not just the "surface area" of the holes that gives you the mass flow through the hole.
especially as the holes get smaller

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

If we are talking static pressure test then the ram would need to be held in a suitable jig to limit its travel to a point below the level of the vent holes otherwise the air will leak out.

If the piston is below the level of the vent holes I don’t think the holes are going to have any effect on the pressure the ram can take.

If the question is not the test pressure as Philip has asked but the possibility of the ram tearing in half as it hits the end of its travel then that’s a different type of test altogether.

That involves the weight of the flipper attachment, ratio of the ram to flipper, velocity of the piston and shaft, type of bump stop, diameter of ram and whether it has tie rods or not.

In my earlier post I did suggest that we specify the size and number of holes, It is something that I think will need to be decided if we do get to the stage of working out rules.

The holes probably don’t need to be very big, the vent valve is starting to open at the 75% mark and the firing valve should be closed by the time the ram reaches full travel so the acceleration of the ram and the pressure there in will be dropping of as the volume displaced by the moving piston continues to increase in the last 25% of its travel.

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:57 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

yeah I think engineering some of those sorts of tests would be massively more complex than building the robot in the first place!

Then there's the question of normal, unmodified rams being used in robots. Are they being used safely?
No ram is generally designed to be fired super fast into its end stopper, so some rams will probably fail even at their specified pressure - especially after a lot of hard use.

Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:11 pm 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

At the moment I don't think there is a requirement for any rule changes.

The current rules cover every thing needed.

The issue at the moment is modified rams. It is clear that if a ram is modified then the manufactures specs are null and void. There for certification is required.

This is only needed if the EO requests it.

Rules

7.2.4. All components must be used within the specs provided by the manufacturer or supplier. If the specifications aren't available or reliable, then it will be up to the EO to decide if the component is being used in a sufficiently safe manner.

and

7.6. All pneumatic components within the robot must be rated or certified for AT LEAST the maximum pressure in that part of the system. You may be required to show rating or certification documentation on ANY component in your system.

Both cover modified pneumatics.

If any thing, a guide for the 'RoboWars Wiki' to help builders would be more beneficial than making the rules harder and more limiting in robot innovation.

Something to remember is that most pneumatics that are available, have been certified at 145 - 150 psi by the manufacture.

Sorry for the slow respones I am working long hours at the moment. I will write some more on the weekend.

Post Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:24 pm