70%  [ 14 ]
No, the tanks can be empty
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 20

Author    Thread
prong
Experienced Roboteer

The rules cater for middle and heavy weights and for our competition they do not succesfully take into account the use of soda stream parts, at least in the eyes of some of the EO's.

Some people had a problem with Stealth's setup, so the idea is to clarify the rules so everyone is on the same page.

Obviously the rules do not work succesfully for us, otherwise a bit of innovation would not have had this big an effect!

In regards to an open or closed system, I take it to mean an open system (apart from the bottle) is only pressurised when firing while a closed system has sections (apart from the bottle) under pressure all the time.

But yes, this is a totally different discussion to what this thread was started for, and deserves its own thread.

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:03 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Ah, thanks for clearing up the open/closed system.

I think soda stream systems were initially banned from the UK/US rules because it's illegal to refill them yourself, which is a pain in the ass when you may go through one every 1-2 battles. Imagine forking out $11 per bottle Shocked

I like the paintball setups because they have gone through a lot of testing an approval (Just like the soda stream machines) but can be refilled and are legal to do so. I'm pretty sure a paintball setup is going to be more safe then a kitchen based pneumatics application... The whole running around in the sun, tripping and dropping your paintball gun, getting shot at etc etc means the paint ball gear has gone through a lot of testing so it doesn't take your head off...

Lets get back to the topic and create another debarkle of a thread for these rules discussions Razz

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:14 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I think the open/closed thing also relates to the vent holes at the far end of the ram vs an electrically operated release valve. I notice the main argument has been taken over to the FRA forum, where it's getting plenty of posts.

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:25 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

that have a url?

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

http://www.extremefightingmachines.co.uk/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?13/3898

Same basic arguements from builders who know what they are talking about but are not familiar with Stealth. I couldn't resist a few posts myself Wink

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:57 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

don't forget that paintball users wear face masks and protective clothes, whereas people in a kitchen might be wearing very little and carrying a bunch of knives.

As for the bottle cost, I found that paying $22 for two bottles which covers a day's battles easily was pretty decent value.
It can cost just as much in broken drill gearboxes, smashed polycarb, or even red wheels for a competition.
Not having to refill the bottles saves time, set up cost, and is obviously a lot safer.

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The paintball stuff is also designed for lighter weight, which usually means more delicate. Those sodestream bottles are over-engineered to avoid lawsuits

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:15 pm 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

Sorry for a slow reply. I will be happy to give some input regarding pnumatics.

I will have a better look at what is being said on the week end.
Currently staring at 5am. (Not nice time) then finishing late.

The main thing I was thinking is that, for home made pnumatics to keep the pressure <100psi this would then fall into the catagory of most rules can be ignored.

This doesn't mean that there will be no regulation, just limited.

the first thing is for EO & event inspectors be able to confirm the presure is no high the the set amount.

If a standard fitting is used and easy to access, then a guage can be use to confim compliance.

One of the best for this is a quick connect. look at the link and review the 'Fittings & tubing'

http://www.smcworld.com/2002/e/webcatalog/index.htm

SMC is one supplier
Festo is another.

any way I will have a good review off the rules and comments on the weekend, and give a response.

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:03 pm