RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Robots in Grantville
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Author    Thread
Daniel Marshall
Experienced Roboteer

Robots in Grantville

Thought I might start a new thread on this topic
The new Vic arena is well on its way to being finished and we have set up a day for a garage fight and the unveiling of the new 56sqm 10mm Arena. The date is 9th July starting 11am; all are welcome and encouraged to bring anything related to robotics.
In case you missed it this is on the Vic builders meeting thread.
Just want to go over a couple of things for this event if everyone is good to go Sunday July 9th starting 11am.
This event will be focusing on the future of the sport. We have lots of ideas and different directions to go and all we need do now is make some calls and build this in to a sport known and understood by the whole country.
I am encouraging you all to take time over the next three weeks to refine your new ideas, remember past events and think about where you would like to see RoboWars, Ultibots and Robot Combat in Australia go over the next few years.

On the day you are going to see lots of pyrotechnics and effect stuff we are cooking up for events. Things like flame cannons, spark jets even got a laser for the day.

The address is Bass Hwy Grantville Ill Map is posted on public photos page.
Feel free to call me if you have any questions at all on 0419378011
BBQ as well so bring some snags.

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:43 pm 
andrew

that arena sounds very hardcore, sounds about as strong as UK/american arena's

will this mean that middleweight-heavyweights will have a place to play sometime soon

hmm, i do have a heap of 300 watt setups or a 100kg orbit, HMMMM Very Happy

sounds awesome though man, hope all goes well for u guys, please post details on what happened soon after and or pics/video's

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:36 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

10mm is sufficient for Lightweight spinners, or middleweight non spinners IIRC the guideline sheets... (Assuming the rest of the arena is up to spec).

Seeing as how we want to keep the lightweight class spinner-free (to see what develops), the 10mm main advantage would be to run middleweights (without spinners).

For Full heavyweight spinners, I think you need 25mm polycarb as a minimum

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:33 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Aww bummer that date is in our School holidays was thinking of putting Vertex in a suit case and geting a Plane down Shocked lol

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:02 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Hmm; no KE UltiBot’s are allowed to be up to 50 kg. Smile

Spinner equipped UltiBot’s are allowed 30kg, not hard to trim that back to lightweight.

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:45 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:

For Full heavyweight spinners, I think you need 25mm polycarb as a minimum

An air gap also I believe is needed, some of those heavyweight spinners are insane Shocked .

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:25 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

We should also run a fence around arenas to stop people leaning on the polycarbonate.

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:39 pm 
Daniel Marshall
Experienced Roboteer

Spoke to one of the piro-techs today about mini detonators and blasting caps for small explosions. these things will, via radio signal, blow a pannel off, fire a burst of smoke or even flip a robot with a bang. what I am saying is for a public event or DVD fotage, stuff like this would look amazing for a filler at a low price to. so if anyone wants build a build a bot with the ability to live up to this kind of abuse, let me know what size and kind of effect you want.

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:29 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

That's interesting, but I would think their one use effect could be somewhat limiting, and I seriously doubt you could flip a robot with a detonation that wouldn't also blow bits of the arena apart Laughing
What about pnumatic spikes like they had on robot wars and battlebots? They can keep firing and would be just as effective. Smile
EDIT by the way i'm really interested in this arena! Very Happy Sounds so damn cool...

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:32 pm 
andrew

sounds awesome there daniel, im up for building a robot for that, hell i have 4 drills with wheels ready to be installed in soething and a kiddy car setup and a funky ww motor and gear attached that was gonna make into a junkspare parts lifter and hammer bot, so blow it up, flame it, throw it around the arena, as long as its a good show

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:58 pm 
Daniel Marshall
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks Andrew, That would be great if you could bring somthing like that even if its incomplete just as long as we have somthing to work off.

We will need some chairs for the day to, if anyone has any. bout the only thing havent got.

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:26 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

We can bring the bot we call build bot along for the effects experiments. It was the one that pretended to be cake taker in part built form. Smile

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:14 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I'm thinking it might be time for "The Acid Test" to finally spin its discs in Anger.. Twisted Evil

Its only been waiting in the corner for a couple of years. A nice Big Arena with 10mm Polycarb sounds ideal..

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

Bring on the lightweight spinner i say

If lightweight spinners r allowed i got me an idea which i wanna make which involves a truck wheel hub and some of them powerful fan motors Very Happy

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:41 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Our as yet un named UltiBot drum bot would qualify as a lightweight spinner. It would not be very good in a flat floor arena fight as its weapon is the same as Reboots only mounted a lot higher and it is all up in the air on 4 of those Oatley wheels for off road clearance.
If a few hazards were added to the arena to encourage all the lightweight spinner’s to compromise their bots that might make it farer on the UltiBot’s.

The Robowars no spinner lightweights on the other hand could still use a flat floor.

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:13 pm