www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Robots in Grantville
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Author    Thread
andrew

well if this arena is used once or twice a year for lightweight spinner matches im very interested in making something from scrap parts and shizzle.

depends if i can get rs80d fixed but also a robowars safe lightweigth would be fun

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:19 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Looks like we have the opportunity to have the first Lightweight spinner vs. spinner fight in OZ.
Brett sounds keen on giving The Acid Test an outing and the Rotwang teams UltiBot’s drum bot is almost ready to rumble.

There sounds like there might be enough Feathers there for a small comp. Should we come loaded for a real Judges and all fights or just some muck about fun? Smile

Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:27 pm 
Andrew W

I'll be there, don't know about Shem or the robot. I would like the oppurtunity to drive a robot, so if someone could bring along one that would be very much appreciated. I would also be available to do some judging if the need arises.
I will also be bringing my 2 wireless cameras, so we could test and see what a spektrum does when it gets interference.
I'll also bring along a nearly complete experimental pic relay controller using the Oatley 150W speed controllers to provide some semi-proportional control.

Andrew

Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:10 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

You can certainly have a go at driving any of our bots Andrew. Smile
At the moment we look like brining Reboot, Bender our Ultibots with no name and depending on whether there is any decision as to whether the fights are going to be timed judged fights that qualify for the ranking or state series I might bring another feather weight for my own use.

If not I might bring Cake taker out and play with smoke effects etc. Very Happy
Haven’t had time to get build bot the other Ultibots driving or my own new drum bot going and we still don’t know what the go is with the problems we were having with the geared scooter motors so Bane and Maestro wont be there. Sad

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:58 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Sounding like it could be quite a gathering on Sunday.

I just talked with Ajax who is going to be in town as well and he is going to stop in and say hello to see whats in the pipeline as well.

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daniel Marshall
Experienced Roboteer

All looks good to go everyone, I even got some permits in place for some big piro stuff Twisted Evil
We are gonna need some cameras for the day unless marks comming, so if ya got em bring em.
no need for tables or chairs their will be plenty (unlike Rye Confused ). just small tools power boards and BBQ food.

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:51 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Man I am so envious of you guys right now Laughing
Sounds like an awsome venue! Someone get lots of arena shots! Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:04 pm 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

wish I could make it but can't
Don't fear i'm still in just been busy trying to get a solid job
Starting this week at the holden testing ground Very Happy only secuirty but thats at least the money problem fixed
Even looking at starting a motor sport course next year
actully may have again found a dill that would suit me
24v portable hammer drills from dicks $60 2 speed the top one being about 1400 suiting me

Post Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:03 am 
andrew

well.......

details here please, what happened, who was there, whats planned, got any pictures/video?

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:49 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

First off a big thank you to Daniel for a brilliant day out. Very Happy

He really has built a big mobile arena; he also had a pro pyrotechnic guy there doing various things, one of our bots even ended up with a canon strapped to it. Very Happy

I haven’t looked at our pictures yet, hopefully something came out so Rob will hopefully post something soon.
Lots of people and bots there, everyone keen to organise another day in Grantville soon.
Possibly a combined Ultibot and Arena event same day.

Oh one more thing there is even skips full of scrap in the complex. Smile

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:14 pm 
andrew

if u guys have down the track any major events with that arena or whatever myself and prob others will be greatly interested in coming down and checking it, lightweight spinners and stuff sounds very funky to me

Also who doesnt like fire and pyrotechnics Very Happy

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:57 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I didnt take any pictures, so a verbal only.. Hopefully one of the other shutterbugs will post some.

A Good day apart from being bloody freezing (and thats saying something coming from me ! - I've never seen people in such a hurry to get out of the wind.. Shocked ).

a great workshop facility Daniel has there. One of those country-fabrication type places, with just about every mechanical contraption you could image, including something that looked like a cut-off saw, but made so much smoke when danny kept cutting things with it, that I'm sure it was a disguised oxy-torch.

A great place to build and run robots for the builders. A bit far a drive for Gary, not too bad for the Melbourne guys though.

A pretty good turn out. Jason, Tim and Ajax didnt make it, but pretty much everyone else was there. There werent any "organised" battles (just as well, since most of us werent setup for competition, but of course the occasional impromptu scuffle in the arena developed on the spur of the moment between the running Bots.

George as there with Pod (what was its new name again ?) but I didnt see it run (I got there a few hours later than intended), Gary had Reboot and "The Drum Bot with No Name", retired TV-Star "CakeTaker" came out for some air-time, Danny had his new "crusher" bot with nice bull-ant style pincers out the front, although they werent operational yet, as well as a converted RC car with a checkerplate shell, looking like the Rocketeer style helmet to me. Neweyn had "6x7" running for some testing, and I stoked up The Acid-Test for a spin. Did I miss anyone ?

Getting the Acid Test running again took bloody ages, since it wasnt setup with our standard 6 pin block connectors, 2 pin battery connectors etc, so a fair bit of wiring-harness making was required. I fitted one of those jaycar solid-state-relays in place of the MMC that used to power the wheels and it worked quite well. I dont think the NiMh packs had the juice the weapon motor wanted though, since the spin-up seemed a fair bit slower than last time I ran it on SLA's. Not that it mattered, since it still doesnt have teeth on the Tuff-Wheels so they're only good for creating tornado's at present.

The Pyro-effects were fun.. Orange Smoke, Bangs, Flashes, Sparks and compressed air-powered flying confetti all occured with the Bots gleefully posing amidst the light show. The orange smoke made a nice vertical column until The Acid Test's Windmill wheels got near it, and about 2 seconds later, nobody could see anything, since they blew it into an orange fog that filled the arena

a few RC Cars ran about, and I flew the T-Rex Helicopter briefly without endangering anyone safely behind the polycarb. Couple of close calls with the walls, since I just figured out how the use the CCPM swash-plate functions in the radio to up the travel for the cyclic control, so its a lot twitchier than it used to be. I'll have to dial in some exponential curves to tame it down again I think. Computer radios are fun to explore. Wink

We discussed some plans for the future, talked about the off-road and ultibot classes and set a date for a garage-fight meet in the not-too-distant future, so things are moving along slowly again.

Thanks to Daniel and everyone who attended, I had fun..

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

sorry if i havent been keeping up but does this mean that Vic has a private arena now? (Ie one where you guys can run without worrying about the public?)

makes for a much more relaxed battle day ;->

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

There were a few other bots there. Daniel had On ramp, we had Bender, Matt had No 5 Revived and George had King Pin.

The Grantville events are not public events but Daniel will be running public events where putting on a tight show will be desirable. Cool

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:46 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

just a quick thanks to daniel and everyone for making yesterday a great day!!!

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:02 pm