www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

Alternatives to Double Elimination
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Alternatives to Double Elimination

I dont think we can do a full round robin (for time reasons)
thats what the points thing was for. Its not too hard to understand if you think about it a bit, hey if a bunch of gymnasts can do it us robot builders should be able to. I put this togther a while ago as a rough outline. The specifics are subject to change. Dad and i have been over all sorts of win/loss/draw scanerios and this is the fairest we have come up with. (btw you can do the whole thing with a calculator or a spreadsheet if you want, no special software needed.)

Registration.
All bots must be registered before the event
All judges must register, they will then be given a 4 digit code (usually the last 4 digits of your phone number)

Process
round starts ~10 minutes before fight.
at 10 minute mark builders decide to either enter or no-compete
Bots that enter are given points (3 say) bots that choose to no-compete are given more (4 say)
After this the draw is done, builders then have 10 minutes in which to do any mods etc and get their bot zipped up.

Drivers of the current bout and the next bout are exempt from judging. (so people can get their bots out of the arena and the next lot can get them in)

After the bout
If a fight finishes early a poll of judges decides if the fight is unscoreable.
If a fight is deemed unscoreable the looser gets given their entry points and the winner has the fight removed from their average IE if everybody does 5 bouts in a day then the victor of an unscoreable fight will have only 4 fights counted in his average.
If a fight is deemed scoreable then points are awarded by the judges and added to the "entry bonus" this result is used to calculate that bots average score at the end of the round.

Scoring System
After each bout the judges will enter their PIN code and will be presented with a set of categories, eg aggression damage control etc.
Judges award points between 0 and 10 for each bot on its merits IE the total of both bots dosen't have to come to 10, if both bots are super aggressive then both bots can get a 10 for aggression and both a 0 for damage if thats the case.

At the end of the day an average is generated for all fights each bot was in, excluding those in which the bot was an unscoreable winner. The winner on the day is the bot with the highest average points.

Reasoning
The thinking behind the no-compete/entry points is to discourage people with non functional bots just entering the arena, but still to give something to those who have a genuine failure in the opening stages.
The reason no-competes are still counted in the average is to stop somebody having an awesome first round then leaving the game early.

Post Sun May 28, 2006 10:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

So in this system, each round starts with a random draw of bots and they have matches determined by the order in which they are drawn? It seems that with random draws, the element of luck plays too large a part particularly in comparison to the full roundrobin system, which is regarded as a good way to identify the "best" competitor. I just simulated the last event with seven bots, the rounds would look like this:

Round 1

Cobra - Roadkill
Retread - Orbit
TWI - Jolt

Round 2

Jolt - Cobra
Orbit - Singularity
Roadkill - Retread

Round 3

Cobra - TWI
Retread - Jolt
Singularity - Roadkill

Round 4

Jolt - Singularity
Roadkill - Orbit
TWI - Retread

Round 5

Orbit - Jolt
Retread - Cobra
Singularity - TWI

Round 6

Cobra - Singularity
Jolt - Roadkill
TWI - Orbit

Round 7

Orbit - Cobra
Roadkill - TWI
Singularity - Retread

Since there was an uneven number of bots each round has a bye, which is not shown as it takes up no time. There are 21 matches in the round robin and assuming we have matches from 10:30 am until 6pm (450 minutes), there would be a match every 21 minutes (rounding down). That is not such a fast pace, considering that the time between each competitor's matches stays fairly constant.

For a larger field of bots, it does get difficult; with twelve bots (the most I recall us ever having), 66 matches are needed with only 6 to 7 minutes between matches Shocked. The time between each competitor's matches is still fairly large however.

It seems to me that we could run a full roundrobin event with 6 to 8 bots and after that a double elemination makes more sense.

Post Sun May 28, 2006 11:39 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

One possible drawback to a round robin system that occurs to me is that it is likely to encourage more boring robot designs.

It. If you know that you *are* going to have to fight a bar spinner, and a flipper, and a wedge and a rammer or whatever, you are more likely to build a heavily armoured, invertible brick.

Sure, you might lose some points in some particular fights, but over all the fights your chances are probably significantly improved with the most "survivable" design.

With a random draw, it is quite possible that you can go for a whole competition without meeting your "natural enemy" opposing design - Rock(brick) vs Paper (control bot), Scissors (spinner) vs Rock (brick) or whatever, so people are more likely to "take a chance" on not meeting their most-feared opponent and come up with a design that may be incredibly weak against some bots, but effective against others.

Round Robin encourages people to try to design to meet *all* threats, and so the "species variation" is likely to decrease significantly, until you end up with a bunch of very similair general purpose, try-to-cover-everything "camels" (horse designed by a committee).

Random draws and Elimination Trees allow the possibility that you wont meet your nemesis and instead will meet a "yes ! I wanted to fight that robot" opportunity.

Or so it seems to me anyway. When thinking of alternative event structures, think of Robot Combat as a game of mechanical evolution, and niche-environments with the forces of natural selection and random mutation. Making everyone fight everyone will be more likely to generate a "monoculture" of clone bots.

Post Mon May 29, 2006 1:49 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
One possible drawback to a round robin system that occurs to me is that it is likely to encourage more boring robot designs.

Well it is NSW we're talking about, so there won't be too much change. Wink

This is the only time where I think the NSW method of random drawing between rounds is a good idea. If everyone knew who they were going to fight before you asked if they were going to drop out of the round or not, they will alway drop out of fighting the robot they know they will always loose to. I know that you are giving points to either robot sorts it all out on paper, but it still sucks the fun out of the day, paticually for the robot that no one wants to fight. Randomising after collecting the drop outs would increase the number of fights.

Post Mon May 29, 2006 8:30 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

It sounds like you guys are taking an overly pesemistic view of the RR system. My thinking is that when there is no elimination and more fights its a) more exciting and b) I can afford to lose a match or two, so I can take risks to get a sure win in the majority of fights. I can also count on the other guys losing a few matches to their natural enemies so I don't really have to aim for an undefeated run to win the event.

The boring box situation will only come about if everyone takes the same defensive stategy. It's more likely that if the bot designs veer that way, then someone will build a flipper or undercutter and win on points or straight KO. The most likely evolution is that bots will get better or at least replaceable armour and better quality construction. ie I will be giving Jolt bolt-on side armour and keeping plenty of spare body panels.

The point about throwing a round to avoid an un-winnable match is a possibility, but doing that more than once or twice almost guarantees that you will lose the event. If your flimsy bot was up against a powerful KE bot, you would likely lose and take serious damage, so throwing the round sounds tempting. If that started to happen, the good KE spinners would end up with easy wins and that would encourage more people to build them. The dynamics are probably a bit more complicated than that, but again, things will likely even themselves out.

If match throwing does become an issue we can balance it out by awarding more points for a win or negative points for not competing.

Post Mon May 29, 2006 9:34 am 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

I think its a good system. I go to the events to have a many fights as possible. Sometimes I will lose my first two and get knocked out and that can be a bit frustrating, especially at an international event where I have traveled a long way to be part of it.

This system allows me to have a lot more fights over the event and when it comes down to it, isnt that why we are all there? to fight!

I would prefer to have 10 fights and lose them all than have lost two and be out, or even having won a few then lost and and being out.

Post Mon May 29, 2006 10:13 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

note the system i preposed is a *limited* random draw.
you dont have to run every round to get a valid result.
(so you could run 60 bots in 1 day say).
Each draw is random and because you arent going to fight every other bot that addresses bretts concern.
(you get an in or out from everybody then do the draw, then you get 10 minutes mod/zipup time)

Personally i like the idea of big gaps then groups of fights, for us builders it just seems easier, you charge and repair (with everybody else) then you fight. Ok you may not get as many fights in compared to trying to get every single person to turn around in 25 minutes, but you'll actually get to watch them all *and* repair your own bot. If you dont have to run a set number of rounds to get a result then you can set a fixed start and end time and just run as many rounds as will fit into it.
IE we are running from 10:00 - 17:00 and we expect 4 rounds, we will probbly get 5 in however and so much the better, but if we dont, oh well. (keep in mind the last 3 rounds of the DE system only have one fight in each, whereas this one all availablle bots go in)

The other thing i dont like about DE is the elimination side of things, especially for the new guys (and us old guys). At least this way however long your pile of scrap stays mobile you can still have fun ;-> Its good for getting the kinks worked out of new bots too, Nothing improves your bot like arena time.

Post Mon May 29, 2006 6:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Grassy

I like Valen's "limited random draw" but maby the winnner should get extra points, otherwhise one bot could theoreticaly be p00ning for an entire match, but get caufgt by one lucky shot and b disabled but still get more points. the other driver would NOT b happy

Post Mon May 29, 2006 6:21 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
I like Valen's "limited random draw" but maby the winnner should get extra points

Theres no need to modify the scoring system, it works fine IMO. The proposed system should just alter the way the fights are layed out, giving more fights and lower builder stress levels - good things to have

Why not just randomise it ?
Set a predetermined amount of time for rounds, and just keep starting new, randomly drawn rounds rounds untill A: Everyone has fought everyone else, or B: Theres less than the average time required for a round left. You'd just have to make sure that two bots dont fight twice, so if you draw a fight that has already happend, just chuck it back in the hat and redraw. Tally each bot's number of wins and you have your positions. If you left one rounds time, you could even have play-offs for positions at the end of the day.

quote:
be p00ning for an entire match

Dude !

ffej.net

Post Mon May 29, 2006 6:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I like the idea that you can have the opportunity to have more than two fights at an event. I support the concept of the round robin.

Post Mon May 29, 2006 7:38 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

More Fights = More Value for effort put in by bot builders and event organisers.

I'm with Bort, I'd rather battle 10 battles and lose them all then battle twice and be bored for the rest of the weekend.

Post Mon May 29, 2006 8:49 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Very Happy yes yes yes ,more battles more fun ,design and build robots that can battle all day thatss the secret .
ohh please not the brick on wheels ,non smashing robots thing ...i beleive a brick on wheels wooped everyone else in brisbane ,granted it does have a v8 under the hood ...and i believe another very little wedge came second in melbourne and is still doing very well in sydney ,and another wedge angus has built is also going very well. robot design evolution is good ,but most of the top bots in australia aint changed that much over the years
the only"possible" problem that occurs with jakes system is the judges need to be educated in the basics of judging and understand what a battle is and what the criteria means .
judging is to me still the grey area ,i recall at the last event i was standing next to a fellow roboteer both of just watching ,the fellow proceeded to jokingly rag on one of the robots in the battle saying things like ,"ohh come on such and such your being so owned" and things like that ,i proceeded to give the evil eye to sway the comments because i believed it was going to sway a judges decision.
so i believe a panel of judges should be nominated prior to each event ,a reserve judge is brought in to fill in where one might be battling and swapped back ,this is i think the most important factor ,cause i gotta say some of our best battle have come down to judges decisions

Post Mon May 29, 2006 9:42 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
randomly drawn rounds rounds untill A: Everyone has fought everyone else

That is the roundrobin system in a random order. for every bot to fight every other bot, it will always take N/2 * (N-1) matches, no matter how you do the draw.

Don't get me wrong, I like random and I also like lots of battles, we just need to get lots of battles scheduled and then score it so we have a fair winner. I definitely like the simplicity of our current system, where a win is either by KO or a collective vote - simple and quick

We have a set time from 10:30 am until 6pm to stage matches, which is 450 minutes. to get more matches in, we absolutely need to have less time between matches. At a 30 minute interval, we get 15 matches in the time and with a large field like we had at Marayong 17, that is around 2 matches each in a no-elimination format.

We really have to go to 15 minute intervals to make a significant improvement in the number of matches we all get; 30 matches in a day means 60 robots passing thru the arena and makes for as much excitement as this roboteer can handle! It should also be noted that 28 matches are needed for an 8 way roundrobin, so on many occasions we could do a complete round in a day with 15 minute intervals and still have a lunch break. To keep it fair for battery recharging, a forfieted match should not mean the next match moves up by 15 minutes; we would have a 30 minute gap.

For more than 8 bots in the field, we can't hold a full roundrobin but up until we have more than 11 bots, we can do half a roundrobin. I think that any bot which can win five or six battles would be a deserving champion.

Another thing about running a partial round robin is that there is a random set of opponents: we assign a random number to each bot at the beginning and then set up a standard roundrobin schedule. Each bot will fight around half the other bots, but you will not know which ones until the schedule is drawn up.

Post Mon May 29, 2006 10:29 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

15 minute match = *way* too much stress

with the batching system you run *all the fights* in that round one after the other, ie no gap between them. Then everybodys "30 minutes" are taken togther.

the big thing is you dont need to run to a fixed point to get a result.
you arent pushing the clock to get stuff done (which just dont work lol)

also theres no reason why you cant random draw a round robin each round.
just so long as the compeditors havent faught before its all good.

I am working on a round drawing system that will actually go through all possible combinations of the compeditors, assign a points score to each fight in the comp (IE bots of same state 5 points, bots of same builder 10 points, bots that have faught before this comp, 100 points style of frog)
then randomly pick a draw from the lowest scoring possibilities.

by adjusting the scores you adjust how much you dislike a paticular outcome. (and also you could put in "hard rules" a fight that breaks a hard rule nullifies the draw)

Post Mon May 29, 2006 11:33 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:

quote:
randomly drawn rounds rounds untill A: Everyone has fought everyone else

That is the roundrobin system in a random order. for every bot to fight every other bot, it will always take N/2 * (N-1) matches, no matter how you do the draw.

Thats only if we were to have a small draw, more than likely we'd be using option B, we keep doing the rounds untill the time runs out, that way everyone will have had the same number of battle opportunities and we finish on time. . . it would be easy to give each robot 45 minutes charge / repair time then too.

quote:
I am working on a round drawing system that will actually go through all possible combinations of the compeditors, assign a points score to each fight in the comp (IE bots of same state 5 points, bots of same builder 10 points, bots that have faught before this comp, 100 points style of frog)
then randomly pick a draw from the lowest scoring possibilities.

Sounds good.

ffej.net

Post Mon May 29, 2006 11:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger