www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Marayong 19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Author    Thread
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Hi Glen i asume you cleaned it with sand paper or the dremel first ..it sounds like a type of stainles steel or similar .one way i have found to get it to tin is to sand it or buff it with the dremel as soon as you have done that apply heat with the soldering iron tip untl you think its hot enough to solder usualy a couple of seconds then apply a bit of resin solder to the tip of the iron and start scraping the iron tip very quickly on the metal in smal increasing circles like you are colouring it in some times this helps remove the fine film of oxide that apear on the metal straight after you clean it ,scrapeing it under a bead of solder allows the flux and the scrapeing action to remove it under the shield of solder and it will float off causeing the solder to tin the metal .cool it down imeadiatly the solder flows onto the metal witha wet rag to stop the plastic melting on the relay then tin your wire and pres it quickly on to the patch you tined on the conector ...hope this helps. Very Happy

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:32 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yeah ive taken it to work to try get it to solder lol, you cant get the dremel in as its too tight in the socket and soldering it just makes the solder ball up and drip off so the socket is the only way aside from mini spade connectors. i couldnt get any small enough

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

"Bakers soldering Fluid" can help in a lot of situations where solder wont "take" to some metals. It might help with your connector pins, depending on what they're made of

Its a liquid flux available from most big electronics places, its not that cheap (~$20 for a medium sized bottle, but you only need a drop or two - I've had the same bottle for about 10 years now.. Shocked .

Its amazing how much easier it makes tinning big fat power wires and things - the solder just sucks itself down the wire after its been dipped in it.

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
assassin

You can get it from Bunnings too, in the plumping section.

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:42 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

If it's the stuff I recall, it is mostly acid and will need to be washed off after soldering to avoid corrosion.

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:17 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

If you want the wires to hang together for 10 years or are using it on tiny, thin PCB tracks, yes - you should, but in a machine that will likely be scrapped or rewired/improved after a year or two I dont think it will matter.

At least none of the wires I've ever used it on have shown any noticeable corrosion within their useful lifespan.

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:05 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Are we still on for Saturday? Who will be coming and what time will we show up? I figure after 10 to give Jef a sleep-in...

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:57 pm 
andrew

yes please post ASAP, ill check in the morning and if it is on ill get some welding rods and come out to weld up some of the panels, was a lil un organised and shortnotice in a way but yeah

Just let me know majority ASAP, if i hear nothing by say 10-11 tomorrow ill assume its not on

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:13 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

im in sydney by 9am so if you want to come round and get something just ask come bashing at my door Razz

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:30 am 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

working Sad

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:21 am 
andrew

sooooo is it on?

If so whos going etc etc

If not then ill buy welding rods and will get to jeffs early next week before the days events start to do what i can before eveyrthing starts

Also Nick and angus next time i see u could u get off u (for nick) that scorpion controller and (for angus) then rc car drive setups

Thanx

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:51 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Still waiting to hear if a welder is turning up.... I can be there ASAP but there is not much point unless we can weld tiles. Call me if you are heading over to Jeff's.

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:46 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Hmm seems today didn't happen? Sad
Sorry I couldn't make it...

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:21 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Andrew and I made some good progress today; the entire side wall on the door side is welded and braced and will take another year's punishment. The far wall still needs work; we have taken out all the broken tiles and prepped the rest for welding, but they are just sitting in position and need finishing before the event.

With a bit of luck, Andrew and I may get back tothe arena mid-week to finish it off. We could really use a MIG welder as Andrew's stick welder is a bit heavy duty for the thin edges of the tiles - any ideas on getting one?

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:16 pm 
andrew

yeah me and nick kicked butt today

i had to leave round 2:45 for girlfriend related business so had to leave nick and deb there by themselves im HEAPPSS SORRRRY

next time ill make sure i dont have prior plans etc and stuff so im not being a slack ass

but yeah just small stuff now and all is done but we do need the mdf panels round the walls or wooden sleepers or whatever because it would help so much in reducing damamge to the actual walls and would provide some shock absorption etc

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:08 pm