RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

VIC: Builders Meeting ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

VIC: Builders Meeting ?

Greetings Folks.

You may have noticed I've been pretty quiet recently.. I've been catching up on a big surge of the W-Word (Working till 4 in the morning) and getting some other things underway that have been waiting in the wings for a while which are now starting to progress..

I hope you guys didnt take my last comment about me not being available for a builders meeting for a couple of weeks as meaning that you shouldnt get together and chat without me ?

Just 'cause I'm busy doesnt mean that Robot Combat in Victoria has to wait for me.. I *want* to see you guys keeping things moving along on your own.. A sport like this should not revolve around one event or organiser.

Danny (Rye) has expressed interest in getting his Arena back together, and I'd like to be able to compete at an event I'm not trying to run at the same time (Which is why I'm planning on coming to Sydney), so please dont wait for me just cause I'm busy.. I'll catch up.. Smile Get Danny along to a builders meet and see what you can come up with..

In any case, I am now coming to the end of this particular surge of work, so I should be available to get together (and bring the MiniDV Tapes of the Brissy event along) if everyone else is up for a builders meeting (and has been waiting for me) one of these weekends coming..

So when and where should it be ? Gary suggested his house in Geelong.. a bit more of a drive, but if you've never taken a visit to his "Natural Resource Center", you should, you'll see how he manages to come up with so many bits for Robots and probably get some interesting ideas, inspiration, help with your own bot with his fully equipped workshop..

If that all sounds like too much of a drive for the some (its about 1hr from Eastern Suburbs), then we can of course meet at Sidetracked as usual. Just suggest a time/date and when everyone is agreed, I'll clear it with them.

Unless someone else wants to play host at their premises for a change ?

Post Fri May 19, 2006 2:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Any chance of dubbing the tapes onto a normal vcr while you are showing them Very Happy I Still have the first robo wars tape .

Post Fri May 19, 2006 6:22 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

OK guy's I propose a builders meeting at my place on

Sunday 28th May from 1pm,

I'm in Wantirna near the corner of Stud Road and Boronia Road.

I've got a large carport that we can have a Bar B Que under or if it's to cold we can go inside.

If anyone is interested please post here, PM me or phone 0416245765

Bar B Que, sausages and bread and Soft drinks provided.

I'll send people the address when they respond.

Neweyn

Post Sat May 20, 2006 6:18 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks for the invite Neweyn. I will be there. Not sure about Rob and Matt at this time. Smile

Post Sat May 20, 2006 7:39 pm 
Andrew W

Thanks for the invite Neweyn, Shem and I will be there.

Andrew W

Post Sat May 20, 2006 8:28 pm 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

I'll be there too hopefully just will need to wait till I hear from work.

Post Tue May 23, 2006 11:57 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Looks like Rob can be there, Matt has something else on. We might have our prototype UltiBot going by then so we will bring it along.

Post Wed May 24, 2006 12:29 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

Ok so where all go for tomorrow,

As previously stated sausages bread and softdrink provided, If you would like anything else please feel free to bring it along, lets hope for some nice weather.

See you there!!!

Post Sat May 27, 2006 11:47 am 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

sorry i missed it work draged me away tell us how it went

Post Mon May 29, 2006 2:11 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

Yesterday went great. Daniel, Gary Rob, Andrew W, George, Brett, Mat, Myself (I hope I didn't miss anyone)

We watched a lot of footage from the brisbane event, and chatted about various ideas and things.

Thank's everyone who attended. Hopefully we can hold a melbourne event soon!!!

Post Mon May 29, 2006 6:43 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

It would appear that as brett suggested in another thread we vic's aren't ready for a battle atm.

I was wondering then if we can give each other something to aim towards by holding another builders meeting soon and trying to show up to it with working bot's. As I have already said several times I would like to have a couple of competitions before we head up to sydney to iron out bug's etc in the new robot.

@Brett- I was one of the people grumbling to andrew but I wasn't complaining about you or anything, just the lack of apparent interest in vic atm. I think your right and as it stands atm we would only have around 5 people at an event.

Please don't take this post to personally anyone, I'm just trying to encourage us vic's to get moving. It frustrates me that other states have had events since brisbane and we haven't. I think this is a fantastic sport and if we want it to grow then we have to be active in it.

I don't have any proposed date for a builders meeting although I am happy to hold it at my place again if people want. I would suggest holding it in around 4 weeks or so though. September is approching fast.

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:01 am 
Rob Team Rotwang

We have been concentrating on our Ultibots lately as far as new constructions. For a round of the state championship we could front with 3 bots and Chronos with at least one. Due to being short some ESC we can’t provide any extra bots as fillers at the moment but that might change soon. Gary Matt and I would all be happy to compete if an event was to take place...we dont want king cobra to get too far ahead in the ranking Wink

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:48 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The Rotwang Team is *not* one of the ones that I didnt think would show.. Smile

However, it seems that Timmeh has vanished (no doubt he's reached 18, and discovered Cars and Girls are more fun - pity he was building some good bots), Jason is keeping Busy rennovating his house (although he says hes working on a new bot), Mel has retired, David Mitchell needs a walker class or something for his style of bots, Tim (KO) is busy working, Rick hasnt finished ironing the bugs out of the PRC for Vincent, I'm not sure if George wants to battle again with Pinscher or wait for POD and Shem and Andrew havent yet turned a wheel that I've seen,

I havent decided whether I should repair/upgrade I.G., Drive Scoopy for a change, or think about another design and I wanted to do something different for a bit after Brisbane, so I've been doing a "Jeff J" and playing with RC planes and Heli's for something different (How is Jeff anyway, havent heard boo from him for a while either).

So, thats about 2/3 of the Victorian Field offline at the moment, I know Neweyn, Matt, Gary can always be counted on to field bots, but that makes for a pretty small competition. Easy Points for the rankings I suppose. Wink

It occured to me that Sidetracked would probably "loan" me all or part of the arena if someone has a Garage available, and we could then hold some low-stress backyard events and build interest back up that way - Any Volunteers ? A couple of panels wouldnt be difficult to put across the front of someones garage like Marayong, and then when everyone is back ito the groove we could run a public event at Sidetracked again.

Otherwise, we need to see if we can rustle up some more builders, or motivate the currently distracted ones to get it together again.

TV coverage would probably do it, and I'm keeping an eye open for any opportunities. We have lots of high quality footage on tape, but it needs a *lot* of hours of work to pad it out into something that would appeal to anything other than Timbucktoo-TV. Mainstream TV seems to need the usual charismatic/bimbo presenter, and lots of "face time". Interviews, Footage of the drivers rather than just the bots and so on.

So, we either get enough builders rolling again to make publicly entertaining shows at Sidetracked feasible, find a friendly backyard garage to play in private in, or find some serious funds or time to turn it into presentable television to motivate people.

Which way do you guys think we should go ?

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I was just talking with Andrew (vertex) and another option that might help kick things along in Victoria a bit more is to consider the lightweight class.

Given that spinners arent allowed in Lightweights, we could hold events in all sorts of places like carparks, paddocks, backyards or wherever, and people would be less likely to take home a pile of scrap.

It would also encourage some more variety of design with the offroad aspect and less of a need to build indestructibly armoured boxes to cope with the nasty spinners.

How does that sound for another option to people ?

Post Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:03 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Brett, I have your solution. You need to move to Brisbane.

Post Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:10 am