www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

SEEDS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
supagenius

quote:
Originally posted by Philip Taylor:
Is there something else motivating you to "bash" the church? Were you hurt by something in particular when you went to Hillsong? You could have chosen any subject such as drug abuse and "bashed" drug dealers, for example. There must be something more that you haven't told us.

Why does somebody paint a particular scene? Or write about a particular topic? Or build a particular bot, for that matter? If somebody decides to build a wedge, does that automatically mean they must have been traumatised by a spinner?

Read the post again.

Post Thu May 04, 2006 6:00 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Maybe instead of looking at it as "Bashing the Church" you could look at the fact this would probably be one of the only movies I've heard of that shows Church bashing and brings it the eye of the public as a possible issue. I honestly never knew that Churches recieved death threats and stuff like that untill you told us about your family's experiences.

I guess there is a topic that hits home with everyone, I personally dislike movies with rapists in them, because I've had three friends (2 girls & 1 guy believe it or not) that have been raped, and I've seen the before and after effects on those people. I hate seeing movies with such themes brought into them, but I sat back oneday and realised that movies are just stories in motion picture format and sometimes bad themes/topic brings the actual effect out into the public and shows people that these things do happen and are not just mythical folk law...

I never thought people hated the church that much, until I read your post Philip Confused

Post Thu May 04, 2006 6:20 pm 
supagenius

P.S. The term "bashing the Church." Despite repeating ad nauseum that the Church isn't being bashed, and trying to contextualise the script, the point doesn't seem to be getting through.

Let me put it this way: If the script was a robot fight, and the Evangelical Church was up against Jolt, it'd get bashed. But it's not up against Jolt. In my opinion it's pretty much up against Andre the Rocket Snail.

Post Thu May 04, 2006 6:38 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Go Andre Laughing

Post Thu May 04, 2006 6:51 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Shocked Thats Rocket Snail bashing!!!!!

Post Thu May 04, 2006 7:06 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

andre bashing?! GET OUT Mad lol!

Post Thu May 04, 2006 8:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
supagenius

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
andre bashing?! GET OUT Mad lol!

I humbly apologise. Respect the Snail! Andre rules! Twisted Evil

Last edited by supagenius on Fri May 05, 2006 1:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Thu May 04, 2006 10:41 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

i think andre would beat 40 odd peices of paper.
It'd be close mark you but still.

(assuming the average length of a script is still ~40 pages? or am i thinking a TV ep?)

Post Thu May 04, 2006 11:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

try about 100 Razz thats a fight id pay to see

Post Thu May 04, 2006 11:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

Andre The rocket Snail is most upset about his unconcensual involvment into this debebate.
If he can only offer his last cold, slimey sausage to the appeasement of the gods to make all things good again he would.
Hopefully it would stop all the wars, poverty, disease, depravity and meglomenyency.
He wonders what model mercedes does your pastor drive?

Personaly, that is I, have been slightly bemused by religious types who`m have come to my door and asked if any bad expeiriences have led me to my religion of atheism? They seem set aback and confronted by a calm reproach even more so than if I said i was Mouslim or
Boudist?

Post Sat May 06, 2006 5:50 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by supagenius:
P.S. The term "bashing the Church." Despite repeating ad nauseum that the Church isn't being bashed, and trying to contextualise the script, the point doesn't seem to be getting through.
The term bashing is a quote of the term used by Glen. This is how he perceived your script.

You have mentioned two people in this thread, Houston and Pringle, and yet you say that it is more against evangelical churches than either of these guy's church. Glen clearly identified the subject as Hillsong.

Dictionary definition of evangelical:http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=evangelical Of, relating to, or in accordance with the Christian gospel, especially one of the four gospel books of the New Testament. (more definitions are available at the above link) Does the fact that a church follow the Bible mean that they should be bashed?

There are probably thousands of people who attend these churches who would claim that these two guy's churches do nurture their inner life.

You state these two guys quote the Bible on the subject of tithing. Aren't preachers supposed to quote the Bible? Should preachers only read half of the Bible?

You said that Hillsong's communion service was not magical or mysterious for you. I wonder if the thousands of other people attending had their consciousness moved to the spiritual side of life.

Would you write a script that would bas Brett? He is successful. He is the first EO to hold an event in two states. After all "success is a wonderful panacea."

You are sure that these guys would not care about your script's sentiments. I challenge you to go to these men and to their extended families and explain what you would like to do and get their permission. Have the guts to face your victims.

@ Geoff, my pastor, dad, drives a Mitsubishi. He has worked seven days and over one hundred hours a week all his life. He has not taken public holidays and had very few weeks off. He is 69 and still working. He has never drawn an average wage, let alone a good wage. He started as a Methodist minister and was Chaplin in Boggo Road Jail, a notorious jail for those who aren't from Brisbane. He continues to work with those who have "slipped through the cracks" as supagenius put it. He has worked with street people, housed them and helped them get off drugs. He has worked with people who have become bankrupt and are depressed with their marriages on the point of collapse and helped them to restart their lives. He has sat with hundreds of people as they die and comforted the family afterwards. All the while he has had people attack him and my family. I would not do his job for top pay and a stack of Mercedes.

This may be theory to you. You may see it as "a victimless crime like punching someone in the dark", but this is my life.

Post Sat May 06, 2006 7:23 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

so pointing out things that arent good about churches in general is bad.

dont critisise the church they only ever do totally good things.

the witch burnings, Magdalen Asylums, child abuse in orphanages, crusades etc never actually happened, its all an illusion created by the FSM ( http://www.venganza.org/ ) to test our faith in his noodly appendage

Post Sat May 06, 2006 11:33 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

By all means point out any wrong doing. People who break the law should be prosecuted.

I am just sick of unfounded attacks. There is a big difference.

Post Sat May 06, 2006 11:49 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

so provided you dont actually break the law, your doing no wrong.

Nobody else can have a different experience and voice that experience.

When the church stops trying to push their agenda onto me i'll stop trying to push mine onto them.

I like the bhudists. No violence, no pushing of any agenda, just "Live well and be nice to other people"

supagenius, hey its already working, look at the discussion youve already caused ;->

Post Sat May 06, 2006 1:24 pm 
supagenius

Yeah. I was beginning to think it had petered out.

Phil Taylor is absolutely right when he says "bashing the Church" is "how Glen perceives the script." In other words, all of this palaver is based on perceptions. Glen perceives that the script bashes the church. My perception is that it criticises it. Could it be that one man's "bashing" is another man's "criticism?"

Personally, I'm more concerned with Jeff's perception that his very own Rocket Snail has a "cold, slimy sausage."

Now, that IS Rocket Snail bashing! Twisted Evil

Post Sat May 06, 2006 5:22 pm