www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

SEEDS
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
supagenius

SEEDS

Just thought I'd post an update on the movie script.

The 2nd draft is finished and available to read. Giant Robo and Prong have copies. The next step is to find a producer, who can then go and try to raise money to get the movie made. This could take a long time. The first Producer we approached had the script for a month and didn't read it. We're currently approaching another couple of Producers and see what happens with them. I'll keep the thread updated when and if anything happens.

Once we've got a Producer, we wait to get funding. This could, and probably will, literally take years. A mate of mine has a script that has been waiting for six years, so I'll probably be in an iron lung before this script gets made - if it ever does.

One other thing - the movie is NOT about bots per se. The bots are prominently featured, and it's about two guys who build bots, but it's got a whole lot of other stuff in it, including a large Evangenlical Church, a psychotherapy called Hakomi Therapy, and a background of group suicides. It's actually about the main character's internal journey. As I say, it's only the 2nd draft, so there'll be many more drafts to come - but apart from tinkering with a few things and clarifying others, this is pretty much the movie I'd like it to be. I think it makes sense, but I don't know if anyone else will.

Thanks to everyone at Maryong for their help and patience. Even if the moivie never gets made, I'd like to keep coming to the meets. I like watching the fights and, more importantly, I like the people.

If anyone reads the script, I hope they like it, and that it doesn't offend anyone's beliefs. If it does, let me know. Giant Robo & Prong have my email, or you can PM.

Cheers and thanks

Post Mon May 01, 2006 10:23 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Hey andrew, just to let you know jeff's copy is being passed around, and glen has it now, and i skimmed through it heh Smile Always nice to help out wherever possible, i hope it does get financed soon lol but its always the same with aussie films... Sad

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon May 01, 2006 11:19 am 
supagenius

Yeah, Jeff's got both 1st & 2nd drafts. 2nd's a bit more hopeful - the first draft's a bit of a downer. Anyway, if it does get made, it's gonna be cheap, so I think the idea is to use as many real bots and builders as poss for the battle scenes.

Roadkill was great Saturday. (Grovel, grovel lol)

Post Mon May 01, 2006 11:34 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

yeah I don't think you'll have any problem finding real builders and real bots willing to be in a movie Smile

Post Mon May 01, 2006 11:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
supagenius

It might never happen, but if it did, you can't beat the real thing - better than a bunch of actors. I remember seeing Heath Ledger playing a Bouncer in Two Hands. He looked like he was on work experience.

Post Mon May 01, 2006 12:23 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Two Hands wasn't a bad movie, I remember doing an assignment for it back @ school... Razz

Post Mon May 01, 2006 3:29 pm 
Grassy

where is the script availaBLE?

Post Mon May 01, 2006 5:52 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

It's being passed around, it's not online. Glen has it at the moment so you'll be able to check it out next event.

no script for you

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon May 01, 2006 6:00 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

LOL wrt to two hands, the bank they robbed is the one at rooty hill AKA the one where all my money is XD

me and my mum are reading through the 1st one now, trying to work out which character is based on who etc etc, its fun Razz

Post Mon May 01, 2006 9:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
supagenius

No-one's really based on anyone, although there's a couple of characters called Nick & Angus. I should've changed the names - maybe in the next draft...

However, when Billy's listening to his bot's cooking innards, he says "The voices are telling me to kill" - which is straight from Glen, talking about Cobra.

Post Tue May 02, 2006 4:18 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol yeah i notice that all the characters are a mix of everyone it would seem, oh and i love the bashing on the hillsong church XD or so it would seem

Post Tue May 02, 2006 11:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

just finished it, i like the ending of the first one, alot, but i think the start is a bit empty. how does the second one differ?

*who wants the script next* lol

Post Tue May 02, 2006 1:38 pm 
supagenius

While on "who's who" - Nick & Jeff were great with research. Jeff gave me a tutorial on basic bot building (don't think much of it stuck), XU1's v deWalts etc. All the Magna motors, amperages, Bisplate HHA stuff in the 2nd draft came from Nick, and Lazercut is just Lazer Wizard, where Nick gets his titanium cut. The Hateseeder bot is Jolt - just because it's the most spectacular, violent, kick-a** destructive bot, and will make for good pictures. And, yeah, i know it can get owned by a humble wedge, but a wedge won't look as exciting on screen as something that reeks of serious carnage.

Re Hillsong (and Christian City Church and others) - If you read the script, it's pretty obvious what my opinion is, but the Hillsong website claims that 19,000 people go there every week. Christian City Church has about 6,000. So, I doubt that Brian Houston, Phil Pringle etc. really give a rat's what i think.

Post Tue May 02, 2006 1:40 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Church bashing? There is a first time for everything.

Post Tue May 02, 2006 1:41 pm 
supagenius

The second one's more hopeful. Not everyone dies.

Re the empty start - any suggestions how to bump it up a bit?

Re Church bashing - yeah, I'm amazed no-one's ever done it before.

Post Tue May 02, 2006 1:44 pm