www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

SEEDS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol i thought the people dying at the end gave it a way better effect... (billy and sharon iirc didnt die at the end did they?) i especially liked how one of the characters bumped themselves off on there saw bot.. that brings back some painful memories Confused

ill have to have a think about ways to spice up the start, alot of the conversation just seemed to drag out for ages, but then again that could just stem from the way one reads a script as opposed to seeing the finished product on screen.

Post Tue May 02, 2006 1:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

Glen, the second draft is the one going around.
I still have the first one here if you want to read it.
Not going to tell you you ending! Laughing

Post Tue May 02, 2006 2:10 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

ahh so this is the second one Razz ill take a punt and say they kill each other in the tunnel XD

Post Tue May 02, 2006 2:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

XD nope, maybe they should? Or do they? Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue May 02, 2006 4:53 pm 
supagenius

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
ahh so this is the second one Razz ill take a punt and say they kill each other in the tunnel XD

Gee, I'm glad I changed the ending from the first draft. It was obviously way too obvious. (It also didn't make a hell of a lot of sense.)

Post Tue May 02, 2006 5:54 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Can we get a copy of the script sent up here to QLD? From what Glen's been telling me, it's a real crack up Laughing

Post Tue May 02, 2006 6:03 pm 
Knight

I wouldn't mind having a look at the script next if i may. I Don't know if its any help but my dad works for Global Television and i may be able to get hold of directors and equipment. Also i know a good post productionist (sound)

Just for the record I'm a Christian and am against the bashing of the Hillsong church. I'll reserve other comment there until i've read the script.

Post Tue May 02, 2006 11:38 pm 
supagenius

quote:
Originally posted by Knight:
Just for the record I'm a Christian and am against the bashing of the Hillsong church. I'll reserve other comment there until i've read the script.

Good. Read it and see what you think. That's why I gave it to people.

As far as the script going to Qld or even outside the Maryong robot group, I would prefer that didn't happen at this stage. There are several reasons why. First, I gave the script to the Maryong bot group because they have been very open and generous with their time. I think the least I can do in return is to give them the chance to read what I've written and to comment on it.

Second, Seeds already has a Director. He and I have been working on the script for the last two years. Right now, we're in the process of approaching a Producer. Like everything else, this has certain protocols and procedures. One of the chief ones is that the Producer needs to be assured that they are getting first look at the material. This is essential because:

a) they have to go out and try to raise the money to make the movie. It's a heartbreaking process, because it takes years, involves rejection after rejection, deals falling through at the last minute, etc. etc. And through it all, the Producer carries the weight of the hopes of the Writer, Director etc on his/her back.

b) they have to be as sure as possible that nobody else is going to read the script, rip off the idea, and get a movie out before them.

In short, it takes a huge amount of belief in, and commitment to, the material to keep slogging away for all that time. For that commitment to happen, a Producer has to know the material is exclusively theirs. I know that if I were a Producer, and somebody came to me with a script and said it had been widely circulated, my response would be "Well, if everyone's already read it, why should I bust myself trying to sell it? Go and do it yourself."

That may sound precious or paranoid, but I don't want to take the chance. Writing Seeds has taken too much work and too much time to risk it.

Post Wed May 03, 2006 9:34 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by supagenius:
Re Hillsong (and Christian City Church and others) - If you read the script, it's pretty obvious what my opinion is, but the Hillsong website claims that 19,000 people go there every week. Christian City Church has about 6,000. So, I doubt that Brian Houston, Phil Pringle etc. really give a rat's what i think.
Why do you think that having a large number of people attend their church makes them immune to normal human emotion?

Dad was the senior pastor of a large church when I was growing up. Our family was the subject of everything from hate mail to false reports in the media to death threats.

I remember at school being the only student left in class when all my fellow students went on an excursion because mum and dad could not afford the admission fee. I remember being the only student whose family could not afford a TV. I remember being told that my father was making millions out of religion.

I was about ten when I first heard that someone had threatened to blow up my family. Dad told me not to worry as he would normally receive more than one death threat a week and would regularly receive threats to kidnap us kids. You imagine being ten and dealing with that.

What has this church done to deserve attack? Do they give out too many food parcels to the poor? Are they feeding too many homeless people? Are they supporting too many refugees? Do they visit too many people in jail and hospital?

Kick them and their families in the guts. They deserve it. They won't give a rat's what you think. Hatred by thousands never hurt anyone.

Maybe when Glen said "i love the bashing on the hillsong church", he meant fair and accurate portrayal.

Post Thu May 04, 2006 6:10 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

unless you were a female in the middle ages, or believed in a different god, or went to a church run orphanage, or were considdered "too pretty" in ireland even up to 50 years ago or so.

"The Church" isnt innocent just and good no matter how much it may try to distance itself, it as an organisation has done things that would lead to it being called a banned terrorist group and being hauled infront of the hauge today.

Not saying individual people in it are bad, but it only takes a couple of bad apples to spoil the bunch.

I havent read the script as yet but i doubt it "bashes" on any one paticular person in the organisation and i'm fairly sure it wont contain death threats towards them.

btw my neighbour is minister or some such of his church (he runs the thing, does all the big talky bits etc) and i setup a computer system for them so i am not "anti-church"

Post Thu May 04, 2006 10:33 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
supagenius

Quote: "What has this church done to deserve attack? Do they give out too many food parcels to the poor? Are they feeding too many homeless people? Are they supporting too many refugees? Do they visit too many people in jail and hospital?"

Okay. Since you asked...

1) The script is NOT a broadside at Hillsong, Chrsitian City or any other Church per se.

2) The script's main argument is that today's society does nothing to value or nurture a person's "inner life." Indeed, it actively undermines it. By "inner life," I mean the unconscious, imagination, dreams, feelings, and all things generally intangible. So, we are bombarded with music videos & lowest common denominator reality TV that do nothing to foster imagination, and ads that guarantee life will be better if we have appliances X, Y & Z etc. Essentially, we are continually told that the measure of success, of happiness, and of our value as human beings is solely determined by how successful we are economically. Yet, every couple of months, there is an article in the paper or on the news which unfailingly shows that society is richer than ever, and people are more unhappy than ever.

3) The two main characters in the movie are two guys who have "slipped through the cracks" of Australia's economic prosperity. They build robots. One of our two guys can't sleep. He goes to therapy which probes his inner life. The therapy uncovers an image in his inner life. He discovers this image represents feelings of self-hate and devaluation as a person.

4) He starts to see thiis image, and several others, in real life.

5) The images lead him to a large evangelical Church. Note it's an evangelical Church, not an Anglican/Catholic/Uniting/whatever. Why Evangelical? Because evangelical Churches, such as Hillsong, Christian City (basically, all the "Assemblies of God" churches) espouse the doctrine of "prosperity gospel." one of the key proponents of prosperity gospel is tithing. The promise is that, in return for tithing, God will shower you with abundance - not just with eternal life in paradise, but in this, our earthly life. Conversely, if you don't tithe, you are cut off from God's abundance. (NOTE: This is NOT my point of view, it is Pastor Phil Pringle's point of view, on page 174 of his book "Keys To Financial Success." Similar sentiments are found in Brian Houston's book "You Need More Money" (subtitled "Discovering God's amazing Financial Plan For Your Life.")

6) This arrangement is essentially our current government's philosophy of mutual obligation. We have a responsibility to tithe, and God will reward us with prosperity. However, the obligation is on us to give first - because "Giving opens the windows of heaven" (Malachi 3:10 - quopted by Pringle & Houston in their books and, also a favourite at the Hillsong services I've attended). But if we don't make the first move and give, the windows of heaven remain closed. So, if we're poor and out of favour with God, it's our fault. I wonder if all the poor, the homeless and the refugees know that? Somebody should tell them.

7) In primitive societies,, the province of the "inner life" fell to Shamans, Wise Men etc. In western industrial society, right or wrong, it falls mainly to the Church. One of the main aspects that Church offered as nourishment of "inner life" was ritual. Sacraments such as communion were designed to be mysterious and magical, and turn one's attention from the mundane to the mysterious. when they worked, people came away from communion utterly transformed, as though the spirit of God had indeed entered them. Over the years there's been a progressive de-mystification of the sacraments to the point where Hillsong offers a tray of crusts and thimbles of juice passed along the aisle. No ritual. No magic. No mystery. No shift in consciousness.

Cool Hillsong started in 1983 (or maybe 84.) I don't think it's coincidence that this coincides exactly with when Hawke floated the dollar, deregulated the banking sector and basically embarked on an opening up of the Aussie economy to the globe.

9) What does all this mean? Back to point one. The script is not a Hillsong bashing exercise. It's about one character who has missed out on the economic good times, and is surrounded by images and messages telling him he's a failure. His self esteem, hopes and self-worth are being leeched out of him because the economic rationalist society we have embraced does nothing to nourish them. His search to find some kind of worth and meaning in his life leads him to an Evangelical Church. However, the Church emphasises the material, rather than the intangible, as a sign of God's blessing. This philosophy has helped make the Assemblies of God Australia's fastest growing Christian relgious movement, but it doesn't help our main character. He needs something which is NOT material. So, no the Church doesn't come out of it looking too flash. But the Church is contextualised as a product of its time and society, and part of a wider argument. I would also add there are scenes where a character says the Church gives her life purpose and a sense of certainty - so it works for her. It just doesn't work for our main guy.

10) Our main character eventually hits rock bottom. In his darkest hour, he finds the simple thruth that people need each other - and the rather hopeful proposition that perhaps people can reach out to each other and somehow connect precisely because they are at their lowest point. It's this reason why the robot group is so important - there is a small group of people bound together NOT by material success. They are a scrounging, grass roots operation that get by on the smell of an oily rag, and there is great communion and camaraderie between them because of that.

11) I could go on about why I think Hillsong and other prosperity churches should be called to account on any number of grounds, including your questions about their work with the poor, the homeless and refugees. I won't, because it will take the focus off the points I've tried to make above. However, if you want to come back to and debate issues of poor, homeless, refugees and anything else, feel free. I'll be happy to oblige.

12) To answer you original question, Do I think Houston, Pringle et al are "immune to normal human emotion?" Of course not. Do I think that they should be immune from criticism because it might hurt their feelings? No, I don't think that either. And, do I think they care about the sentiments of someone who has written a script which probably has about a 1% chance of getting made? No. I don't. Even if it does get made, and they don't like the result, I'm sure they'll be able to deal with it -after all, success is a wonderful panacea.

Post Thu May 04, 2006 11:24 am 
andrew

Whoa that was a Brett lengh worthy post and very detailed.

Just one thing, in my church (st pauls anglican) and others including Hillsong ive been to its never been the case of give money and thennn God will love u.

Gods love is eternal and free and not purchased through money or whatever, at both hillsong and my church when offertory plate goes round they say "please donate to help the work of the church within the world" or something similar.

SO yeah just wanted to clear that up because ive never seen it put that way and anybody who does needs to check themselves and stop giving us christians a bad name

Besides that your script sounds awesome and i wouldnt mind having a read sometime

Post Thu May 04, 2006 11:46 am 
supagenius

quote:
Originally posted by andrew:
Whoa that was a Brett lengh worthy post and very detailed.

Just one thing, in my church (st pauls anglican) and others including Hillsong ive been to its never been the case of give money and thennn God will love u.

Gods love is eternal and free and not purchased through money...

Yeah, it was long, eh?

I can only repeat, the prosperity gospel stuff about God's abundance being given to those who give, and withheld from those who don't is not my invention. It is written in black and white in one of Pastor Phil Pringle's books, viz:

"Malachi reveals that the windows of heaven open over those who bring in the tithe. This means the windows of heaven are closed over people who are not bringing the tithe into the house of God. Everyone nedds to be giving, rather than leaving it to a few to carry the burden. Being a believer means we learn to accept responsibility for the blessing of God resting, not just on our own lives, but also on the lives of those all around us." (from "Keys To Financial Success" pp 174-175, by Pastor Phil Pringle, Pastor at Christian City Church, Oxford Falls, Sydney.)

Brian Houston has also expressed a similar point of view in his books. And I have been to Hillsong many times to research the script, and heard these sentiments expressed when the offering was taken.

I was raised an Anglican. Like you, I grew up believeing in a God whose love was eternal and could not be purchased through money. I don't consider myself a believer now, but if there is a God, and that God's worth believing in, he's exactly as you describe.

Like I said in my original post, I am not out to offend anyone's beliefs. I am not out to incite hatred. I have a point of view. It's that of a forty-five year old man who doesn't like much of the way society is going and how it devalues what is important and what should be nurtured. I decided to try and write something about it, because in a few years, I won't have any kind of cachet left as a screenwriter. I'll be just another jaded, over-the-hill "yesterday's man" wishing for a better world, and babbling about how things were in the old days.

If my point of view gets up anyone's nose, well, it's a big wide world, with room for different persepctives. I hope people can say "I don't agree with you. Now, when's the next bot battle on?" And leave it at that.

Post Thu May 04, 2006 1:33 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
They build robots. One of our two guys can't sleep.

This must be a common thing with bot builders Cool Jake & Glen know all about it Laughing

Post Thu May 04, 2006 1:38 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Is there something else motivating you to "bash" the church? Were you hurt by something in particular when you went to Hillsong? You could have chosen any subject such as drug abuse and "bashed" drug dealers, for example. There must be something more that you haven't told us.

Post Thu May 04, 2006 5:43 pm