www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

2006 ANNIHILATOR - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Author    Thread
andrew

SOunds good to me, after electric bie i may spend a lil while back in robots but get rid of them small parts and shiz, will see what happes, gotta get new orbit ready for ahnialator, electric bie dialed in, 4 wheel drive nar kartage made and stuff and a second featherweight taht i really wana make but need to do a test version and run some tests first

Post Wed May 03, 2006 9:51 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Slash just needs some major rework in the drive motor department - I have the parts, just not the time. Keep nagging and I will eventually get Slash upgraded Laughing

Post Wed May 03, 2006 11:15 pm 
andrew

i reckon if possible replace the weopon u have now with just a PHATTTT blade of somesort like tombstone etc, would be very effective and much more funky

Post Wed May 03, 2006 11:26 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Very Happy cant see any time for anything other than main events at the anihillator we all should know how hard it is just with one on one battles happening on time ........but be warned all you NSW folks ,when it comes to national events there will be NO waiting around for repairs and charging batteries you all need t6o get on top of it ,if your time is up it is up ...sounds tough GOOD IT IS Twisted Evil

Post Thu May 04, 2006 7:20 pm 
Knight

I assume as well as the timing issue failsafes will also be tested and confirmed.

Would this be a correct assumption?

Post Thu May 04, 2006 11:39 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

With no public there we are fairly flexible on failsafing.

Its definately good to have, and on robots with dangerous weapons (Jolt, Orbit, Andrew Razz) then its more of a concern, but I think for the majority of our robots we do not worry about it.

But then it is up to Jeff, as its his house and his arena, so his rules.

Post Fri May 05, 2006 12:03 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

robot wars opperates on the honor system pretty much, and the assumption that the people competing have more than half a brain.
Some rules are more important than others depending on certain stuff lol.

if you have a wooden wedge bot that weighs 13.8 kg you probbly wont have too many people getting huffy (unless you win too much ;-P)

By the same token not having a failsafe on that (if its driven by a pair of XU-1's on drill batteries) probbly also wouldn't cause too much concern.

If however you stick a saw on it then i think we all would like to see that at least failsafing.

Basically when you and the other guy are putting your bots in the arena (or working on them next to each other in the pits) you are trusting him to build his bot and opperate in such a way that you aren't going to get hurt. So you gotta ask your self, if this was somebody elses bot, would i feel safe being in the pits next to him, or walking past it as i put mine in the arena.

We all know that things go wrong in the pits, and having an accidental drive fire up and such like is acceptable (just dont make a habit of it), putting locking bars in weapons is a good idea, Standing next to somebody when their whatever has just tried to spin up is alot different to standing next to somebody whose whatever is now making an ominous humming sound as its rattling on the bearings.

2 points however
Failsafes and power switches make working on your bot *easy*
if you can turn the radio off and know the bot probbly isnt going to do something stupid, then walk up to it manipulate a switch and then know it is really unlikley to do something stupid, well it will let your mum sleep sounder at night. (and you can fiddle with your robot easier ;->)

We learnt the hard way that needing to power something up *then* bolt the bot togther *sucks* even if its only reciever batteries Plan-F and G were the first bots we could assemble then leave sitting there ready, it makes your "pre-fight" preperations so much easier, i mean you can go to the loo without worrying about wether youve got the time to wash the grease off your hands etc ;->.

Post Fri May 05, 2006 1:16 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Besides, even an entry-level servo controlled bot can have a failsafe weapon for very little cost and difficulty. The simple R/C failsafe modules are something like $20, which is very little to pay for keeping your fingers attached! Smile

Even with failsafes, we should insist that spinner and saw bots have a mechanical weapon lock, just to guard against radio interference firing off a weapon. It's another cheap insurance policy

Post Fri May 05, 2006 1:28 am 
andrew

Or have a failsafe/radio on/off switch using a 20$ commercial failsafe and a spare servo and microswitch, microswitch is wired across negative power wires so when its closed off, servo is operated by spare channel, failsafe triggers servo.

SOooooo bot goes into failsafe mode, failsafe triggers, servo moves hitting micro and robot goes cmopletely dead, also u can turn robot on and off via radio controll.

I did it on orbit ages back and it worked very well and cst me bout 20 bucks if that.

Post Fri May 05, 2006 6:29 am 
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

Failsafes and safety locks SHOULD be second nature to roboteers in Aus. by now given we are already into our third year. Yet there are still some people with bad reputations!

BE AWARE!
It is your peers that must be confident in YOU!

If you have a dangerous weapon, demonstrate to everyone that it is SAFE
in the pits! This can only build on your saftey reputation.

Drive wheels should ALWAYS be "off the ground" in the pits.

Sharp points should always be covered.
Eg; Event before last I nearly poked my eye out on an aerial wire!

Sure, failsafing is is relative at private events at Marayong. For newbees with rambots or wedges it is not compulsory as long as adequate safety is demonstrated.

If someone cuts off their fingers it might be a fun story to tell but think of the poor bastard that had to drive them to hospital and miss out on the sausage sizzle! Smile

safety rave over,,,, for now Smile

P.S. What if RX power is switched off and you phisically bump weapon switch???

Post Sat May 06, 2006 3:51 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
P.S. What if RX power is switched off and you phisically bump weapon switch???

That's why a mechanical safety device is so important. On jolt, I just drop an alen keey into a hole in the top of the gearbox to block the blade; zero cost and effective. It is really easy to lock a weapon with a pin or just a screwdriver - you just need to remember to do it!

Post Sat May 06, 2006 10:43 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Just wondering if flamethrowers are legal for the annihilator.
We don’t wont to use one we just wont to find out so we can take precautions if necessary. Smile

Post Sat May 06, 2006 7:09 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I wouldn't think so no... jeff?

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat May 06, 2006 7:40 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

The arena here is not really set up for them, Borts one was just a once off becuase Brett said flamethrowers were ok and someone had to step up to the call Very Happy

So I would say no, plus while they look cool, we have no extra audience so noone else to impress and I think there are too many downsides that make them all round not to fun.

Post Sat May 06, 2006 9:17 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

just wondering if most are happy with tag team + 1 on 1? ,trust me that is all we will have time for ,but to do this, i think we would need to start battles on the friday arvo so as to fit it all in ....is this plausable ?,or do we go just 2 days 1 on 1? ......
.i personally like both events ,only because if you exit either event early ,you still have a fair crack at battling a few more times over the weekend,with there being another event .... Very Happy

Post Fri May 12, 2006 8:19 am