RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

ANT weight anyone ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Author    Thread
colin

quote:
Originally posted by original_carnage:
Isn't Australia in line with the FRA?

Australia isn't in-line with anything. It's really based on each event. Correct me if i'm wrong; Australia doesn't have any official robot combat organisation.

Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:25 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

If someone could tell me what the advantage of being "in-line" with some "official" organisation was, then we might consider it.

But until any "authorities" put their money where there mouths are and actually organise and pay for something instead of holding committee elections, writing rules and trying to tell the people who do things how to run things, they all get the big finger as far as I'm concerned.. Twisted Evil

We all (the builders) discuss and agree upon a standard ruleset that each event will follow (as far as their arena and event allows) and thats as far as I want to see any "inline with"-ness happen.

Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I like to take notice of the rules that have evolved from the years of experience of our fellows over seas. The FRA ruleset generally makes sense to me.

We should definately be our own people and be free to make our own rules. We are clearly more relaxed about things such as frequency than the FRA for example.

I don't think that the FRA committee is trying to tell us what to do or how to run things. I imagine that they would not think of us much if at all.

I think that it would be great to have an international meet in the future. We need to find common ground in rulesets to do this.

Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:48 am 
dustpanboy911

The one pound antweights in the US are getting competitive. They almost all use carbon fiber and titanium for armor. For weapons 90% use some type of saw blade from a hardware store and spin them up to high speeds, ~6,000 RPM. They easily bounce eachother off the ceiling.

Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:56 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

the english FRA ruleset is just a slightly modified version of the American RFL rules www.botleague.com , which is what the Robowars rules http://www.robowars.org/info-rules.html are based on as well. Its a sensible, minimal ruleset that doesnt get bogged down in silly detail.

The FRA annoyed me a bit by not admitting that their rules are 90% a direct copy of the RFL rules, despite the fact that the RFL allows other people to use their work and only asks that you acknowledge your rules as being based on theirs. The guys who manufacture the "Dogs Bollocks" speed controllers in the UK did the same thing, and ripped off the OSMC design for their controllers in direct contravention of the GPL requirements that only asks that you acknowledge their contribution in your work and release any derivitive works under the GPL as well.. they seem to have a problem with giving any credit to anyone other than themselves over there.

Regardless I agree that having a common-as-possible ruleset that allows bots to compete in different compeitions with minimal on no changes is a good idea, and didnt mean to imply that the FRA was trying to dictate to us, in fact I havent heard anything at all from them as you imagined..

I'm just allergic to anyone trying to set themselves up as "The Authorities" and tend to foam at the mouth a bit whenever it looks like happening.. just ignore my rants if I get carried away.. Rolling Eyes Laughing

As far as soz-bots or antweights go, there seems to be very little interest in them down-under at the moment, which is why there is no clear consensus on which rules we should adopt here. regardless of their engineering skills and hi-tech carbon fibre armour and neodynium motors, they just dont seem to inspire much respect from anyone except the builders of them because they are generally smaller even than RC cars, and so are seen as more "toylike" than a decent sized chunk of metal sporting a big weapon.

Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

I think a lot of the guys who haven't tried building an antweight and think they are pants should really have a go at it, because it's the greatest challenge you will ever find. I'd like to see Gary build a fleet of robots for the antweight class just to prove me wrong Very Happy

EDIT - Also, just going through a few videos, I would say antweights are the most powerful robots in robot combat when you look at power to weight ratios, some antweights like Rebel can flip another antweight around 1m. Some of the antweight spinners like Militant throw opponents(and itself) out of the arena! Some robots like Craig Danby's new Anto have drive trains bigger then some of our featherweights! (Anto is running some brushless 750watt motors!)

I love Edits Laughing

Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:19 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

Sorry about that (FRA)... I've been reading so much info across so many sites (trying to come up to speed with the rest of you guys), I mixed up the FRA with the RFL Embarassed

And I agree with many of the comments that we need no "authority" unless said authority puts up venues, insurance, promotion and prizes, I was just wondering which set of rules to build to...

It doesn't seem likely (from the feedback this topic is recieving) that there will be any antweight or SOZbot at anything other than "local" level, or will there?

I am going to start with something like ant or SOZ, but I'll be building a lightweight before long anyway... thanks for the info though everyone... does anyone bother with hobbyweight ?

Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:01 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

we originally had a few hobbies on the drawing board, and the robowars 2003 winner "Mouse" was actually a hobbyweight

But theres a bit of a gap in the "cheap products for hobbyweights" market, meaning that they cost nearly as mucvh as a hobbyweight to build in terms of radios, speed controllers and the cheaply available batteries and drill motors are more suited to featherweight sizes, so there doesnt seem to have been a lot of action in the hobbyweight class just yet either.

Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:11 pm 
andrew

Well i put up a post a while abk asking if people are interested in them and most peeps said no. I will gladly build one if people want to get another weight class going.

Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:29 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

hahahaha like an ant under a magnafying glass lol Laughing

I found this on the robolympics site

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:38 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

nothing like grilled fajitas is there Smile

ive been following the US antweights for a while now (hence why i keep trying, and failing lol, to build little spinner robots) and they really are a high caliber class of robots. look at OFBC these days, milled out of a billet of magnesium, 18v Kokam lipolies and two motors bevel gear driving the shell which is 160 odd grams or some thing like that.

not appealing to the public im sure but none the less my interest in them is still rampant and now that the keros have started to build them, well then i now have an excuse! just started the proto of my antweight, basically a 3kg one again using 7.2v of nicads, that big HC970 motor with a pulley CA glued onto it (broken shaft or not!) that powers a 150mm 300g vertical bar. i havent measured the pulleys but i guess its around 1:3 (so its like about 20,000 on paper i think) and with no bearings or decent shafts it shakes and squeals like theres no tommorow. but if it works it works, and it has been consitently bouncing my 100g rc car off the roof of the garage. and not falling to pieces, a bonus for me lol. the drive is still the super awesome cybot drives.

ill replace this with a 370 motor for the weapon and make it lighter and faster as well as dropping the volts down to 4.8 for the limit.

Post Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:13 pm 
3Faze

quote:
Originally posted by original_carnage:
Confused I just noticed that SOZbot is not a recognized size (and weight) by FRA rules.
Isn't Australia in line with the FRA? Do we run FRA antweight or SOZbot ?
Any thoughts? I'll happily do eithor but would rather do whichever will end up with the most competitors / competition.... which seems to be SOZbot from the previous feedback...

The main reason the FRA don't recognise soz's over here is that they aren't a widely accepted class, there's less than 10 of them in the UK, and there's never been a real fight.

I have both a sozbot and antweights (NLF and 0.3Faze respectivly). A big problem that I have with sozbots is that they are hard to armour against the sort of weaponary that is very easy to create in that weightclass (NLF can go one on one with an engineering brick and not break a sweat). Antweights tend to have a good balance of weaponary and armour, which makes for some crazy fights. Strange as it may seem, the size limit never seems a problem, a 150gram 4 inch cube is a very low density.

The main problem I have with ants, IMO, is the banning of metal armour (which is basically there so the committee members' cardboard flippers can still be taken seriously). A real ant, such as the Ti box that is 0.3Faze would basically drive through one of these bots.

As for arenas (not mentioned so far) an antweight arena is so much easier to make and move than a sozbot one. My ant arenas will hold anything in the class, cost less than £50 each to make, can be erected, single-handed, with nothing other than fingers in 20 minutes and can be moved in the back of a small hatchback quite easily. My design for a sozbot arena would cost £100's to make, need a van to move and take 2 blokes about 2 hours to put up. If you're not dealing with spinners, ants can play on the table in a pub easily, soz's need a bigger surface.

Were it me, I'd go for ants everytime... unless they were being run by the British AWS committee.

Post Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:58 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Ants reqire small radio gear that is difficult if not imposible to find in Australia while Sozbots can be made from hacked servos.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chris

hacked servos? those things are stoneage when it comes to sozbots, i think we should start moving forwards using small gearmotors (as you guys have used) and other servo alternatives. if you dont see my logic just watch a fight between a servo sozbot and a REAL sozbot and you will understand.

Post Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:27 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Don't knock servos, I've seen a few speed hacked Futaba S3003 servos on on 11.3v and those things kick ass! Speed hacking is the way with servos.

Depending if i can get my picaxe sozbot controllers made, I'll be running a pair of speed hacked HS-300's

Post Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:51 pm