www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Spread Spectrum Radio
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Author    Thread
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

We ran 2 Futaba 9CAP 75MHz PCM radios at the event and as always we never had a problem. Maybe it was just the operators hands shaking. Wink

Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:07 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Actually, that is a possibility George.

I hadnt noticed that the receiver that goes with the radio Tim bought (the 6EXAS)
http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futk54.html

uses the R146IP single conversion receiver
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXJRW0&P=V

whereas the 7CAP's that Mel and I use (and probably the Kero's 9CAP's) use the R138DP dual conversion receiver
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAKN3&P=0

That *could* make a difference. We have never had a glitch with our 7CAP's either, so perhaps the Rx is the difference.

Theres a really good web page explaining all about RC Radio Systems (including the difference between single and dual conversion here) http://www.torreypinesgulls.org/Radios.htm

The author of this page doesnt seem to think Dual Conversion is that big an improvement though. I would have thought the PCM error correction would cut straight through any noise picked up by the Rx though. As jake pointed out, if you can tell what is bad data and throw it out (PCM can), then you only need a few good frames a second to have reasonable control.

I have a spare R138DP receiver, Perhaps when Tim gets KO put back together, we can try his Rx and my spare Rx and see if there is any noticeable improvement.

Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

well my radio set is 6 channel 40 mhz and is double conversion, i have nevrer had an issue with it thus (its always been everything else that sucked) but reception and radio working has been flawless.

Single conversion radios seem to have alot more trouble from what i know

dual conversion sends double the signals so much better

Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:43 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by andrew:
dual conversion sends double the signals so much better

Dual Conversion does *not* send double the signals.

It uses a two-stage "heterodyning" process on the *receiver* to decode the signal with two different "IF (Intermediate Frequencies) - 10.7mhz and 455Khz I think, rather than a single stage (conversion) of 455Khz.

By doing the down-conversion in two steps, it adds another layer of potential "filtering" for any spurious signals to get trapped in, before they make it through to the decoder section.

You can use the same transmitter with either a single or dual conversion receiver, because the transmitted signal is exactly the same.

There are techniques to reduce noise other than dual-conversion, but what will work best depends on the type of interference you are having to deal with.

Robot style interference is typically high strength broadband "hash" noise from the motors and ESC's switching. We are trying to pick out a single voice in a room full of people shouting. Normal RC'ers are more concerned about trying to hear a weak signal at long range - like your friend shouting from down the road).

*Edit - I just added some thoughts on Radio to a page on the Wiki so we can help out newcomers by pointing them there - http://www.robowars.org/wikka/StandardRadio - If anyone would like to add more info, feel free)

Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

thanks for the correction thar Brett.

Not sure what half them words mean but sounds about right.

All i know and care is that dual conversion is better then single conversion, plan and simple.

Gotta get spectrum down track though, WOOT.

Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:00 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Strange how no-one has mentioned what appeared to be radio interference in the Jolt vs Singularity match where both robots seemed (to me) to have control issues. Any one else notice this or am I dreaming.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andrew

hmm, maybem could just be Jeff was driving bad as usual and nicks a bad driver nd weopon elay failed which may look like jitters Razz

just kidding, not sure on that, its fuzzy

Nick, Jeff, what r your thoughts

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:30 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

At first I put that down to radio issues, but when I went to charge the packs I was running during that match, they were intermittantly open circuit, and when Nick and I came out of the arena, both radios seemed to coexist happily. I do agree that we need to look into it more, the next Marayong event will tell I guess.

ffej.net

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I had motor problems and driver problems Embarassed , the radio was going fine as far as I know. The Nomadio gets feedback from the reciever showing what the signal strength is at the far end so I see exactly what is going on. I think Jeff had connector problems on the RS80D, although it did look like radio reception to me during the match.

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:30 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Does anyone have futher experiences with the SS radios in robots worth mentioning?

Post Wed May 31, 2006 7:58 pm 
andrew

well nick uses a 2.4ghz radio with jolt, glens using one in his all steel robot cobra, jeffs used one in singularity with no issues even with snapped radio antenna it still works no probs.

Alot of the US guys are using them now and no problems ive seen, one used it in his heavyweight bar spinner that is nasty as heck and defeated biohazard to name one and he says the world of it

Post Wed May 31, 2006 8:02 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

mine has never glitched. it just needs a fair bit of reciever battery power to keep them going (why cobra died against TWI).

Post Wed May 31, 2006 8:04 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, aparently they draw about double what the normal RX does, but the TX draws less.

I can vouch for the reliablity, the bit about possible glitching at brisbane earlier in the thread I linked to a dodgey pack, since it did the exact same thing in the match against cobra on the weekend . . . it started working again when I hit the pack.

ffej.net

Post Wed May 31, 2006 9:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

My Nomadio SS radio has been absolutely flawless - I couldn't be happier!

Post Wed May 31, 2006 10:18 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
My Nomadio SS radio has been absolutely flawless - I couldn't be happier!

The whole talking to you thing is just too cool Very Happy

ffej.net

Post Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:12 am