www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

QLD robot display
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Author    Thread
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

can get the Tx's cheap because it is currently cheaper for the boss to buy complete radio units and strip them for the receivers, servos and crystals than it is to buy them seperate....

as a result lots of Tx only's are at work..

Post Fri May 05, 2006 9:04 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I briefly spoke to Dave this morning. He is still keen on the idea of holding a robot display one Saturday. I should be able to pin him down tomorrow. I have to video him for an ad for some visiting American and another ad inviting people to come watch the State of Origin.

OT Dave and Daryl are setting up a video projector to watch the game. There is going to be a webcam link with another church in NSW. It is so much better watching the SoO when you can abuse a blues supporter.

Post Tue May 09, 2006 5:29 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I talked to Dave this morning. He has booked the main auditorium for a robot battle on Saturday the 12th of August from 10 am until 4 pm. How would that suit? Would you be able to bring down your arena, Andrew A? We could go full tilt with high KE weapons if we have an arena. We could set up the video projector for instant streaming and replays.

There are tables for the pits and the church has air conditioning if required.

This day is not religious at all. It is just about having fun.

Post Wed May 10, 2006 5:29 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Hi Philip i offered to bring down my panels for non kinetic bot demo's we still have the poly carb viewing screens but that is only for a front and the sides are open above the mesh panels, that is the reason i used to set it up in my shed so we could have the front section with the metal and poly carb and pull the roler doors down on top .My arena would not be safe to set up for public viewing useing high ke robots .And also i would not be able to transport all the railway sleepers required for the botom section.The two front sections have 1.6mm galvanised steel on them all the others only have 30mmx30mmx2mm square mesh, pleanty strong to stop a high speed ram bot but no good for spinning wheapons or schrapnel containment .

Post Wed May 10, 2006 7:25 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I was planning to talk through the datails with you at HOC, but never mind. We can sort it out here or at Kilkivan in June.

I have got plenty of pine sleepers I can bring in. There is also some yellow tongue that could be used if you think it would be a good idea.

Low KE bots will be fine. I can put a regulator into Marauder if you think it might cause troubles for the arena. Spinners might be able to take off their disks and run wedges.

I talked to Dave briefly today. He said that he is about to start promoting the event. He started to talk about getting a sponser on board to provide bot building parts, but he got called away to the phone. Dave is always busy.

Post Tue May 23, 2006 5:41 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I played a couple of videos of the robots for some guys at church tonight. They were very impressed.

Post Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:36 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Hi Philip sounds good the yellow tounge would be good as extra protection on the front section also what is the floor made from that we will be setting up on? You might have to check on that as we wouldnt want to be damaging a nice polished timber dance floor .We might also need some more heavy gauge shade cloth for the net as that piece i have has a few holes in it and its about 10 years old. Also you might have to check with Dave about insurance etc as i dont have any what so ever .I think if we allow lifters ,ram bots, wedges and de -rated flippers it should be ok mabee saws if the floor isnt a problem although a saw comeing off at high speed could posibly get through the shade cloth .Thats another reason i have the arena in the shed and no one goes in there during combat .I can get back to you on the inside measurements of the arena so you can work out how many sleepers you need i have 10 of those heavy railway ones in there at the moment mabee have 12 and go 3 high on the front ,or two on their flast and the top one on its edge should go about 500mm high or so .Iff they are pine we might be able to get a bit of that metal straping for buildings that had holes in it and strap them together to stop them falling over etc could just use small screws that can be taken back out easily .Any way get back to me on it or pm me .catch you later .

Post Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:14 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

The floor is concrete. It is carpeted. I was thinking of wacking down some yellow tongue over the carpet.

The church has public liability insurance and lots of other insurances. There is a policy for if something happens to someone and other policies for frivolous lawsuits. (it is sad that we live in a time where we fear being sued for nothing).

I think that your shade cloth would be fine especially if VL is not throwing pieces of metal around.

I have stacks of sleepers. I can bring as many as you want. That speed strapping would hold them together.

There are some lights at the church we could put inside the arena so that it is extra bright.

Post Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:14 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

sounds good the yellow tounge would protect the floor ok the arena is aprox 4.2 mtrs square i will measure it properly before i dismantle it this week

Post Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:12 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I am going to make a DVD of some of the robot fights so that Dave can play them after the youth meetings on Friday nights. The youth hang around afterwards and play air hockey and PS2 and that sort of thing so the DVD of robots could just play in the background and, hopefully, get people interested.

I think it would be great if we can pick up a few more builders.

The 12th of August is approaching quickly. Marauder is in pieces so that I could chase down some electrical shorts. I will have to pull my finger out and repair and rebuild it.

Post Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:55 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I burned a DVD of the last event at Kilkivan for David. He is going to start playing it tonight at the youth meeting. The problem with teens is they don't usually show enthusiasm for anything.

Post Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:40 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

oy Very Happy
Lol alas it's true for most part... but this... it's controling my life! Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:18 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

David Fenton said that the DVD was "cool".

The address is 71 Kate Street Carina.

It would be great if we can bring anything that would interest and inform new people. I want to have a fun day and I also want to increase the numbers of Brisbane builders. I have a few ideas kicking around in my head that could be good if this first day is successfull.

There is a shed down the bottom that would be great to house an arena. We could have a semi regular comp there. Depending on Karen's views on the matter, I would pay for it myself and keep it there. We could advertise the compitition over the church's program on Briz31 and Imparja. We might even be able to get into the surrounding schools and promote the event.

Success breeds success and the quality of the first event will have a bearing on the future possiblities. I think that this will be a fun event, but I also want to look forward to a fun event with 100 robots from accross Australia. It is just as easy to dream a big dream as a small dream.

Post Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:09 am 
TeamFroggy

I didn't realise it was a Saturday but I'm working on getting hte day off from work. I'll bring along a few different radios, including a DX-6, Futaba 9CHP (my personal radio) a JR 2610 and the good old Hitec Laser 4. I'll also bring Mite-E-Er and the new bot I'm building, it probably wont be finished by them but people will be able to see the method I use to build my robots. It will just let the young people know what is available from the cheap to the almost the top of the line.

Post Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:12 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

That will be great, Marshal. I think Dave said he has booked it in for 11 am until 4 pm.

Post Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:29 am