www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Jolt & friends - Team Overkill - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 423, 424, 425 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Author    Thread
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

i bit weird that they only will allow new bots…especially when there is no time?….and the bit about changing the rules could be a mistake.

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:52 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

They did that for a one-off event a few years ago. All the bots had to be 'exclusive' to Battlebots and competitors had to agree to all sorts of non-disclosure and marketing agreements. They still got plenty of competitors so hopefully they will get some quality bots this time around. Their original rules were nothing like the RFL rules that most builders use, so that's probably not such a big deal - whatever they use will be new to most builders.

Post Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:01 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Well more events is always good. Going to do up a design?

Steve

Post Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:17 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Laughing Hardly, its a heavyweight(ish) class and you would have to be based in the US to compete in the series. I'm looking forward to watching it though. There is also a chance that if it really gets on TV it will reinvigorate the other competitions.

Post Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:11 pm 
Eventorizon-GB

Who/where did this come from Nick? I would be very interested to know who has managed this. I am wondering if Combots has managed this or if it was Whyachi or another group I don't know about.

One thing I am looking forward to is the new rule set. Perhaps they will be allowing more fire based weapons because it will look good on camera and new arena weapons will change how machines are built so it should kick start a whole new style of combat!

Post Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:53 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I probably shouldn't say where it came from but you would definitely recognise the name. Everything to do with the Battlebots TV show is owned by Greg Munson and Trey Roski, who sue anyone who dares to step out of line or infringes their marketing rights - they were very much in it for the money!

Combots founder Dave Calkins had quite a few flame wars with the Battlebots guys and would never have anything to do with them. Private companies might be sponsors but can not use the trademarked Battlebots name so this is the original team that did the original TV series.

It will be interesting to see what their rules are and how the arena is set up - I never much liked all the hazards as it meant fighting the arena more than the other bot and was all done for spectacle.

I doubt their rules will get adopted elsewhere; to enter you have to build an entirely new bot and you have to agree to not use it anywhere else - ever! I think some teams got sued when their bot was used in a commercial that Battlebots didn't broker and get money from. What might happen is that TV exposure will attract builders to other events.

Post Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:13 pm 
Eventorizon-GB

Hmmmm, I never realised just how self centred/money-grabbing the Battlebots guys were. Great, so we have a great idea funding the pockets of total *insert your appropriate word here*s.

Well, lets wait and see. It may fall through like several RW reboots have over here. But I would like to see it succeed, it would be good publicity for the sport in general. There are enough of us running the regular rule sets that their new one probably wont be that popular unless they nail the marketing.

Post Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:19 am 
Ellis

Oh the pessimism!

Post Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:03 am 
Grant_RoboChallenge

Greg and Trey are actually really decent guys. The problem is that with all TV work you need to be very careful about what you do outside of it with regards to making money as you will often be contracted to that program solely. If you break the terms of a contract sadly it's not their fault.

I look forward to hearing more about this as it could be just what this sport needs, and being on a major network could boost its popularity all around the world which can only be a good thing. For them to announce to a number of roboteers already they must be fairly confident so I'm very much looking forward to the outcome.

Post Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:56 am 
Eventorizon-GB

"Greg and Trey are actually really decent guys. The problem is that with all TV work you need to be very careful about what you do outside of it with regards to making money as you will often be contracted to that program solely. If you break the terms of a contract sadly it's not their fault. "

Yeah... good point. Well, lets blame the bankers and lawyers cos thats what everyone else seems to be doing.

But yes, lets hope this works out!

Post Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:39 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Jolt:

The design had masses of CAD updates and minor fixes today and should be ready for waterjetting early next week. After Jake suggested some upgrades to the magnetic hold-down, I tested a module and it now has 12Kg of down force. With two modules, that's almost doubling the apparent weight of the bot. Smile

The beater has also been upgraded with what I learned from the FEA analysis; its weight has increased to 5Kg, with plenty of spare weight left for further size increases.

Post Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:59 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Jolt:

A huge shout-out to Russell and Jake for making the CNC magnet holders a reality! Russell cut them from 2024 alloy today and they came out extremely well:

The next steps are to find some steel sheet to back-up the magnets and then to pot the parts in resin.

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:58 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

wow look great are they cnc jobs?

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:37 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Yep, CNC all the way.

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:48 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

its weird in the pic they look like an optical illusion ..the milling marks look like bendy tubes. Bloody good job there jake. Very Happy

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:52 pm