www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Jolt & friends - Team Overkill - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 268, 269, 270 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

It won't look posh for long - the other beetlweights over here are getting viscous! I used up all the spare space on the Ti sheet (top right corner) with spare band-aid panels for the sides, with three nasty horizontal spinners, I'm sure to need them Sad

Even More Flames

Using the new double burner torch and just propane, I was able to bend 9.5 mm Ti without too much trouble; it would have gone much easier with a 2nd person to operate the bender:

That opens up some very interesting possibilities for the next version of Scissorhands, MAPP gas should make this even easier Smile

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:18 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

what material and thickness for your beetle parts there nick?

im guessing Ti Razz

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:16 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Is there any other metal? Smile The beetle frame is .093" / 2.36mm and I added a heap of bracing to stand up to the latest horizontal spinners.

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:37 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

we're doomed

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:16 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Ha, hardly! I added the extra 'patch' sections into the CAD with the full expectation that Glen, Dylon and Angus will punch holes in the frame. Glen might have the most reliable horizontal spinner right now, but the other bots will evolve to equal it and then vertical spinners will need to be really tough to survive and bounce their opponents off the roof. I would be building an undercutter myself, except its turning into a pissing competition and I really want to build at least one good vertical spinner.

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:59 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Tried the TZ85as yet?

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:39 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

im keen to see said holes punched into said frame for the sheer entertainment value!

i kinda took myself out of the beetle arms race by retiring the drum design. ah well. your beater should more than make up for it Smile

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:51 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I am still figuring out how to squeeze the TZ85 controllers into Scissorhands; the wiring is making thing difficult. The bench test is still being set up, I will have a long post about the results when its done.

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:22 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I spent all week doing the waterjet CAD for the new beetle, then re-doing it several times. As it turns out, not all DXF export files are created equal; it took a change from 3 to 6 digit precision and spline curves to line segments to make the file work among other things. The trick is to make the DXF compatible with the oldest possible version of AutoCad you can; R2.5 worked best in this case. It doesn't look like the beetle will be ready for the next local event, but very likely for the Nats in Brisbane.

There was another break-though with beetles when I realised that the frame is similar looking to Glen's beetle 'Killer'. With fairly minor changes to the front of the frame, the weapon motor can be rotated 90 deg. and the beater weapon substituted for a horizontal disk or bar - the entire back of the bot can remain unchanged Smile. That makes two bots with 89% interchangeable parts - I like!

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:50 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Roller-coaster week

This week has seen some extreme highs and lows:

My oldest cat Rollo died over the weekend Crying or Very sad. It was expected but still pretty shattering after almost 13 years. After that, I couldn't concentrate on big robot items.

Despite that bad news, I got plenty of small bot items done; repaired all the bent P60 gearboxes for Scissorhands, which needed a custom-made bearing puller. Battle hardened four B16 motors for the beetle and made several small internal parts for it. The Beetle frame was water jetted and is on it's way home. The antweight weapon bars are also cut out and in transit. The first part of Scissorhand's welding is done and the rest is almost ready to be sent out.

Next year's version of Scissorhands had major CAD work and parts like the Scorpion weapon motor and the Castle ICE HV 160 controller have arrived. The new bot will be quite different, with a skinny body like Totally Offensive and much larger wheel pods that hold the drive motor ESC and have complete wheel protection. I have hardly started the weight calculations, but I'm aiming to make the weapon bar at least 15cm longer this time Twisted Evil .

The best bit of news is that the missus landed an executive job with a large US medical firm for an obscene amount of money. We finally have a chance of buying a house in around 5 years - I am already planning the workshop Laughing

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:31 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Sorry to hear about the cat, gratz to the missus on the job, and nice progress with the robots and robot planning!

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:28 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, the job news is fantastic! Deb flies over to the US in 2 weeks for training and a conference; my shopping list is already pretty long Laughing

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:11 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah score on the new job Nick! Sorry to hear about your cat...best thing to do when tragedy strikes, is to put it into your work ....and build a really angry robot that you can take out your frustration on...... and you could name it after your cat to.

miles

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:54 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks Miles, I have already taken your good advice Smile This a pic of Rollo (left) and Gizmo, our Russian Blue kitten:

The first order of business today was making this draw bar:

That allows me to mount an ER32 collet chuck in the lathe and opens up all sorts of capabilities for high accuracy work. Its a simple accessory, but the amazing part for me was welding the nut on to the shaft - I thought the welder would need several passes to build up a strong joint, but it managed to blast into a 21mm hex rod and melt it back 3 to 4 mm. That's from a welder that weighs less than a featherweight Smile.

I'm currently working on the beetleweight weapon; its feeling a bit overweight and might need to be a smaller diameter. After that's cut out, its on to the pulleys and I need to make a cutter like Glen's for the round belt.

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:34 pm 
andrew

sorry to hear about Rollo man

That cat had a beautiful character to him

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:28 am