Daniel's Robots - Hellfire Labs - Qld

Name: Avenger
Weight Class: Feather Weight
Drive: 100W Scooter motors
Drive Controllers: IFI Victor 883's
Weapon: 300W Scooter motor powered Axe
Weapon Controller: IFI Victor 883
Contruction: 12mm MDF

Since Sidewinder now has a flame thrower I can't use it in compititions unless I am lucky. So I needed a new robot. So I went for a redesign of my best robot so far, Scarifier. I wanted the origonal weapon as it scared the s$%t out of me and I would have loved to have tried it in combat. The problem with Scarifier's axe was it was too heavy. Most of this was due to the frame. So I cranked up Solidworks last night and shrunk it down. Scarifier was 65cm wide and 45cm long, Avenger is 40cm wide and 35cm long. And weighs 12kg tonight. I also used the chain and sprockets I got for Loki which saved a lot of weight. I didn't like the speed on Scarifier but I liked how Reboot and the New Project moved in Melbourne, so I added in some Scooter motors.

Construction started at 2pm today and I had it driving and axing at 6:30pm. I wanted to use Polycarb and Chopping boards for the construction but I didn't have any, so I had to use MDF. We'll see how long it will last. All I need to do to finish it for next weekend is tighten up the scooter drive belts as they slip way too much (any ideas?), stop the chain on the axe from derailing, add a front plate and a top plate.

No photos or videos since we don't own any cameras any more. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Daniel on Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:37 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Sweet! Very Happy
It'd be good to see another hammer bot in aus competing, the axe-ecutionar was a damn cool bot if only it wasn't so heavy! Very Happy good luck!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:40 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

scooter belts don't slip while pushing a person around on a scooter, so if the pulleys are aligned properly and the belts are tight there should be no problem Smile

Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:07 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Really? I would not have guessed that.

The belts were tight when I measured the holes. I then moved the holes back 3mm to make the belts tighter. I had trouble installing the wheels due to the tightness of the belts. But once I ran the motors the belts became really slack and got worse the more I ran them.

It is the same problem we had in Loki with these motos. I have a feeling the belts are too wide and rub against the frame when installing them. Once they run for a while they will loosen up. This is because the assemblies we brought wern't the whole assembly and didn't come with the outer frame that everyone else uses (we didn't know they were supposed to come with frames until we got to RoboWars 2 and saw the other robots with them). So we use 3mm sheet to bolt directly to the motor face because we don't have the spacer screws in the proper assemblies. This extra 3mm on the face of the motor rubs against the belt and probably causes them to seem tight when installing them. Its tempting to cut 3 - 4mm off the width of the belts and try again. After all it is only having to move 1/10th of the rated weight. 1/5th when pushing another robot.

Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:15 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

can you adjust the mounting positions on things to line up properly?

Originally Oatley started selling the motor, belt, and wheel set (I bought a few) and later on started selling the whole assembly, which is a lot easier to use for the extra $4!
Is your motor mount maybe flexing and letting the belt move accross a bit as the angle changes?

Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

There is no flexing and the motor and wheel pully are inline since the belt rubs the full distance against the frame. The only thing I can see is the belt being squeezed between the flanged motor pully and the frame. The belts actually wore grooves into Loki's polycarb where they rubbed. I'm guessing the deeper the groove, the looser it got.

Even though the pullies are inline on Avenger, the pullies on Scarifiers were way out of line, close to 25mm off center. It never caused a problem. But the belts where much thinner, 6mm wide, about 3rd the width of the scooter belts, which is why I'm not worried so much about cutting these down by a 3rd to 10 - 12mm wide (they'll still be twice the width of Scarifier's belts).

Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:57 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

Sounds like the squeezing between the pulley flange and the frame is lifting the belt out of the teeth.

Personally I'd adjust the motor / axle mounts so the belt's not touching the chassis - that way the part that gets replaced on occasion (the belt) is a standard part that doesn't need further modification.

Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:44 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Hehe. My camera has a phone in it. Or maybe thats the other way around.

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:22 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

looks axe-tastic!

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:56 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Sweet! Bring it down here and we could have a 3 way funbotics comp Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:06 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Self-rightous suicide?

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:18 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

It self rights quite nicely thank you very much.

I finally got the chopping boards and I replaced the drive motors with 18V drills from Dickies. So I spent 4 hours today starting from scratch again.

It doesn't need paint. Very Happy

Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:45 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

What does it weigh?

Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:22 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

10.45kg without everything bolted down. Since I have interchangable hammers and picks it could go up to 11.5kg with all the parts and the heavy hammer. I guess I can make all my favorite anti-spinner add ons. Sideways wedges, drum rails, hold down spikes and the classic keep away sticks.

Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:57 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Purdy Cool

36v on the hammer?

Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:28 am